skip
Years ago

Nathan Crosswell & Adam Gibson to captain 36ers

Full Story.

The Adelaide 36ers today announced Nathan Crosswell and Adam Gibson as co-captains for the 2012/13 season, with Anthony Petrie named vice-captain.

They have won a few championships between them. So I think both are a good choice. Perhaps thought maybe Schensch might have got a nod though too.

Topic #29203 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't complain too much, as a general rule i'm not real keen on 1st year players to a club being a captain though.

Reply #377833 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Petrie over Weigh or Schenscher is a bit interesting, but it might be that neither of those guys is as keen for a leadership role. Fair enough for the rest who are younger.

On the newcomers being captains, could be that they are very keen to lead or that Marty is hoping to inspire them to 'own' the team and hang around.

Reply #377835 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Good choices.

Don't see Schench as a captain material at this stage, and Weigh needs to concentrate on his game rather than leading the team.

Reply #377845 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Solid points Isaac and having our playmakers take responsibility for the team and subsequent personal form can only be a good thing . Let Weigh , DJ and the Big Fella contribute in play .

Reply #377856 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall last season Crosswell was selected for a leadership role . Ballinger captain and Crosswell vice , were both injured and the Captain has to start , so Weigh and American Import Guard were made Captains. Weigh is OTT with orders , inparticular unreasonable to injured players.

Reply #377858 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's Boti's take on it. Not really a fan of co-captaincy and reckons Schensch could've been the one, or that Gibbo should've been handed the reigns outright. Also, that someone like Petrie can provide his input without an official title.

Worth a read anyway - good chance to see what Boti can put out if not limited by print or editor.

Reply #377865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Botis Blogs are great.

i dont see the need for 2 captains. arent captains in basketball fairly redundant anyway? it's not like there's a whole heap of media to be done. and the squads are small enough that the coach takes most of the leadership anyway.

what does a captain do? (legit question, not trolling)

Reply #377897 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon - check the FIBA rules to see the captain's official role. there also has to be a captain on court at all times. i don't know whether or how the official role varies from this for NBL. beyond the official role, you'd have to ask the club what the captain does.

Reply #377904 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Remember - there were co-captains last season . Weigh too despotic. They are fans of Crosswell's leadership.
The captain has to start.
Of Petrie and Gibson , I cain't say very much , just arrived here. Schenscher for me , but I'm pro S.A.

Reply #377913 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Captain has to start has to be the most stupid rule.

Reply #377939 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I don't think the captain has to start. There just has to be an on court captain at all times.

Reply #377957 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The Coach is required to name a captain at the start of the game. One. There is no need for them to take the court at all during the game.

Reply #377970 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I loved Boti's joke at the end of his blog.....

A HORSE, a donkey and a zebra walk into a bar.

The barman looks up from where he is cleaning glasses, stares at them and says: "What is this? Some kind of joke?"

lol

Reply #378125 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While I noticed some are not fans of Parachute Captains , dropped into captaincy without playen a game. Numbers shall be 4-15 and the captain should wear number 4.

Reply #378193 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spinner, I always wondered who liked those tragic jokes... ;)

Reply #378204 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

All common sense appointments, although Weigh not being a vice captain is interesting. Perhaps he didn't want it??? He was captain for the half the year in effect last year and figures to be a cornerstone of the club.

I've written more here

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/09/aye-aye-captains_1.html

Reply #378309 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754