KET
Years ago

Adelaide Arena takes a leap shot of faith

FOR 20 years it's been a place of worship 36ers fans, but Adelaide Arena could soon be home to a new devotion.

The 7600-seat stadium, at Findon, is being touted by its selling agent as a potential mega-church that can hold congregations of more than 5000.

CBRE managing director Philip Rundle said he already was in talks with several religious groups.

*Sigh*

Topic #29209 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Ugh. Built for basketball. Keep it for basketball.

Reply #378001 | Report this post

Released  
Years ago

Isaac, can't blame Influencers or any other group who sees value in the property.
Basketball has been so badly mis-managed

Basketball have had many opportunities to buy it

Reply #378002 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sunday games could be a thing of the past

Reply #378003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aha the stadium will be renamed Paradise and the team might have to negotiate renaming to the Adelaide Crusaders :P

Reply #378004 | Report this post

Years ago

For god's sake...

Reply #378006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given the restrictions (x amount of non sporting events) surely this is a beat up.

Reply #378007 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

nope restriction would not apply for a place of "worship"

Edge want it badly to expand this side of town,

would mean if we could co tenant it, No Friday or Sunday Games,

meaning Nbl wont give us every game as Saturday meaning we would need to look at having to have Thursday night, or Monday night games as well as the mid week games

Reply #378009 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

That is just stupid, why cant the SA government buy it?

Reply #378010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm an atheist thank God

Reply #378012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thomo you're wrong.

They do apply. You can't just ignore Zone Planning Regulations.

Reply #378013 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Absolutely the planning rules apply

The Powerhouse can only have 18 non sporting events per annum with more than 1000 attendees.

Those non sporting events may not involve any musical instruments of any sort.

Having said that i do believe that it would be an easy challenge to get these restrictions removed using the restraint of trade angle.

Why should basketball have to but its own facilities when countless other sports have them provided to them by state and federal government money. This is the time for the state government to act and purchase the asset at a heavily reduced price compared to replacement value.

Reply #378014 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

if those restrictions will hold up, which i doubt they will as government would look at it being a church therefore not taking revenue away from the EC.

like i have said i don't know if they will hold up or not, but you would think they would have had legal advice last time they looked at it and the fact they want to have it again now, leads me to believe they can pretty much do what they want with it as long as it doesn't compete with the EC

all i do know is they are making a play to buy it again and if they do its not good for us basketball fans.

Reply #378017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thomo your missing the facts.

The restriction in place is not just some Government rule.

The land is zoned for a particular purpose.

It would be like builing a shopping centre on a residental block.

The land is zoned with restrictions. You can't just ignore them because it's a church.

Reply #378023 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You'd be surprised anonymous

How do these new age churches get so popular, planning for a congregation of 5,000 people far out.

If the religions take over and force the 36ers out, it would be a serious tragedy :(

Reply #378027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why doesn't BSA get of it's Butt and organize a rally to show the Government that we need support, justlike they are paying out ALL that money for football etc. Come of BSA before it is too late. Maybe read Boti site, cause what he is saying could/would be true. Prove him wrong and start CARING for the game and not yourselves.

Reply #378031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually #023, this is not to do with zoning. It is exactly "some Government rule".

Reply #378032 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Of the 7000 Paradise members there are those that play and ref Basketball and have asked for Basketball to stay and also that helps them to pay the $5M they've been asked for.

Reply #378034 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KET, they succeed because people are scared.

And they gain tax exemption while most NBL teams are the actual charities!

Reply #378037 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Stop with all the emotion and face reality, its purely a business decision
The bank has a massive debt it needs to recover and will sell the asset to the highest bidder.
Either BSA makes the effort to secure a loan and match other offers on the table or kiss the venue goodbye.
Look no further to illustrate the depths that basketball has reached in this State than this debacle.

Reply #378039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reminds me of the Lakers old facility, The Forum. That's now being used as a church as well.

Reply #378049 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Heard that this article in the Sunday Mail seems to be implying that its only a matter of time before its a church,
however i could not find it online.

Reply #378054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #032
Don't believe go to the city of Charles Sturt offices and find out for yourself.

The land is zoned by Council.

Reply #378055 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

the other factor in the mix is that the religious group is the biggest tenant of the EC currently. Government loses out twice of they withdraw the restrictions for church use.

My understanding is the church books the EC upto 3 times per week. That is a lot of revenue to miss out on.

Reply #378060 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Picked up my bag and went looking for a place to hide
When I saw Carmen and The Devil walking side by side
I said 'Hey Carmen! carm on , let's go down town.'
She said 'Well i gotta go, but my friend can stick around'

Reply #378070 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

@boti_nagy: @SkipStrudwicke Dont worry. Better times brewing. Cant say more just now. #notworried

Reply #378080 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Coopers Arena..?

Reply #378084 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I don't care if it's called Noels Big Caravan, Arena de Vilis or Adelaide Furniture & Electrical Centre.

Just as long as it stays in the hands of basketball.

Reply #378086 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

if you read cryptically into Boti's Twitter post it sounds like a brewer may be coming to the rescue..The Brewhouse?

Reply #378091 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I know Adelaide is known as "The City of Churches", but this is taking it to far

Reply #378094 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

West End Super Sixers Arena?

Reply #378123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#055, of course it's zoned. All land is zoned.

What I'm trying to make you understand is that this is not the reason for the restrictions. This is nothing to do with council zoning. To state it simplistically for you, there is no zoning that effects the ability or otherwise of the Arena to be used for basketball, church etc. This is a Government restriction in order to protect the investment in the EC.

Please don't believe all the false information floating around out there.

Reply #378169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#169 Read the zone on the property

then realise just how wrong you are

Reply #378174 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

A open inspection video by the sellers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lErF6eKOICc&sns=em____ expression on interest actually end pretty quickly.

Reply #378283 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:35 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754