skip
Years ago

CJ given deadline and Mottram now in the mix.

Story on Adelaide Now

ADELAIDE will give Knox Raiders import CJ Massingale 11 days to determine his NBL future while Pero Vasiljevic's hold on the final roster spot also is under threat.

Neil Mottram, the 205cm centre who led Melbourne to the 2006 championship and who won a cult following as a 36er in 2008, has not been ruled out.

Mottram however is also currently in hospital after falling ill shortly after the Eagles grand final win. Hopefully if he is in the mix, that doesn't end up ruling him out.

I'd be happy with either Motts of Pero. Neither are gonna see an awful lot of minutes anyway, but both are good aggressive big men.

"By the time we get back from China (Friday-week), we would hope to have that (import) spot done," Sixers coach Marty Clarke said. "We have a few options we're looking at and CJ has to decide what he wants to do.

"We have spoken to a couple of young guys in the US who are straight out of (college).

"CJ's veteran status gives him an edge but it's up to him now what he wants to do."

I'm interested to know what people would prefer? A SEABL veteran who is unproven at NBL level, or a complete unknown straight out of college?

Topic #29215 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Go with CJ, proven quantity,knows how the refs call the game and will be the glue that brings the team together.

Reply #378081 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I like the idea of Mottram over Pero. Good head on his shoulders, knows what its like to play for the Sixers, solid defender, good rebounder and plays within himself and the offence. He would also be able to handle sitting on the bench alot but would be able to contribute as soon as he hit the floor. I'm sold.

Reply #378082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after the weekend Mottram will be side lined for a while. in hospital being operated on.

Reply #378083 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I don't want a new import who can be subjected to our coaches interesting take on what an import should do - if we get CJ it will be obvious to all if the coaching dynamic duo decide he should actually be developed/used as a defensive rebounder - or some such crap.

Less room for strange thinking if we get an experienced known quantity as a player .

Reply #378087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see CJ staying put as he likes to be the "big fish" in a small pond!

Reply #378088 | Report this post

Pie Cart  
Years ago

I put CJ in the team,he knows the referees and a veteran in the team,unlike the past college imports of Tyndale and Warren?(i think)CJ comes cheap at least we dont have to fork out too much expense to bring an import from the states.

Reply #378089 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

63, what's the operation?

Reply #378090 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

The fact that they have gone public on this deadline means CJ is swaying towards a 'no thanks' i reckon...

What's the issue with Mottram,
how long is he going to be sidelined?

Reply #378092 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

id go the fresh meat from college on a low salary, would be more appealing playing in AUS over summer than playing somewhere non english speaking and cold for alot of the college guys. If it works out keep em around for a few more years, we need to get a import that hangs around a bit like davis, mee, brooks, thomas etc..
Marty is supposed to be good at coaching kids.

Reply #378093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ is the safest option imo.

With Mottram and Pero can we grab them both and just have 1 out of the 2 suit up on game day, depending on training form, matchups, injuries ,etc.

Reply #378095 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'ld like to see Motts back

Reply #378097 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

After watching Mottram first hand on the weekend, I think he would be a great fit. Plays a role, executes, stays within skillset, solid fundamentals, very rarely out of position at either end. Veteran, and I imagine, low maintenance off the court. +1 votes.

Reply #378098 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Back WIllie back instead of CJ - surely Willie wou;d not be asking that much $$$ now and happy wiht rither Pero or Motts.

Reply #378103 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Mottram for me... was great for the tigers I recall. underrated... if thats your 3rd string big you would have to be pretty happy with yourself.

Reply #378111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's very interesting jake i would have Farley before cj.

Reply #378114 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Willie was stuffed last time played for us and that was a long time ago .
Like to see a unknown as surely must get it right with a import guard as had enough tries over last few years

Reply #378122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would CJ need to think about the offer? Surely it pays better than what he gets for Knox and if he gets naturalised could play for anyone.

Might be concerned about minutes in a stacked 36ers team that could drop his stock?

Reply #378129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the only NBL job offer he has ever had i would suspect so his STOCK is hardly high to begin with!

Reply #378131 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I think if Neil Mottram's Eagles teammates were asked in confidence about his chances of succeeding in the NBL, they would be much less optimistic...

Can the 36ers even afford another import if they strike out with CJ? They do have the salary cap working against them as well as the point cap, after all.

Reply #378137 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Mottram "LED" the Tigers to the 2006 championship? Please....

Reply #378158 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Never rated Mottram, I hope they go Pero and a college guy.

Reply #378159 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

CJ might not be getting offered enough to make moving halfway across the country an easy decision. Then again, he's not getting younger and has never played NBL so should maybe take whatever he can get and give it a crack. Worry about a pay rise once you've proven yourself.

Reply #378161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like someone said the fact they went public with this suggests it's just about all over as far as signing this guy and they're perparing the groundwork for an unknown and possibly cheaper import fresh out of college.

Reply #378173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ's performance in a SEABL grand final losing side was hardly NBL material.

Reply #378181 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

One game doesn't define how good your are or if it was NBL material. CJ is a lot better than most of the guys in the NBL and that goes along with other local Aussies not given the chance. People just need to give other guys like CJ a chance to prove himself.

This boys club selection has to change for Australian Basketball to grow!

Reply #378234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Pero has more strings to his bow - I would choose Pero over Mottram

Reply #378259 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754