Jack Toft
Years ago

DVD Review: The A-Z of NBA Bloopers and Hijinx

Ah.....Father's Day, usually a good time to clean the socks drawer about a week before, because you know it’ll soon be filled with socks and jocks. But this year, the socks and jocks were replaced by a couple of NBA DVDs. The DVD "A to Z" went straight into the player so I could enjoy it while I ate my eggs and bacon in bed….and I’m glad I did because it made my morning.

A-Z: The NBA’s BEST BLOOPERS, HIGHLIGHTS AND HIJINX
From A-Z the NBA is where amazing happens. From monster jams and sloppy slams to airballs and pratfalls, The NBA A to Z has it all.
These twenty-six fast and fun chapters showcase NBA stars like Shaquille O'Neal showing off his dance moves, Dwight Howard doing impersonations, Kobe Bryant dressing old school, and LeBron James swatting away shots all over the court.
Release Date: 5th September, 2012
No. of Discs: 1
Running Time: Approx 60 minutes
RRP: $19.95

The DVD started with “Airballs”. If you thought juniors had the art of the airball down pat, you ain’t seen nothing until you see these professionals fluff it properly. Of course the best airballs are those on enemy courts where the crowd helps players look for a hole to swallow them up. If you’re lucky you can always rely on your teammate to make your airball look like it was meant to be a pass to them. I had just stiched up one of my sides when “Sloppy Slams” came on. Pride cometh before the fall and when you have an open half court layup and you try some fancy moves and twists to impress the away crowd, better finish off properly or else you’ll look like a complete goose. (Didn’t Melbourne Julius stuff one up once? Or am I just hopeful?) Sometimes even the best players in the NBA make us rank amateurs playing Monday night social look skilful.

But it’s not all about bloopers and if you want to some some unbelieveable shots, buzzer beaters and jams they’re there too. Shots even the Ninja would find hard to beat when playing HORSE. Shots that 12 year old boys practice just in case an NBA scout has decided to pop into a stadium when he's on holidays in Adelaide.

The crowd shots cracked me up as well. People do the craziest stuff in public and sometimes there’s no excuses unless you’ve missed the daily meds. If Skip brings in “Kiss me cam” at the Arena, I’m sitting next to Belinda Green, although knowing my luck it’ll be Al Green in a wig.

Murray Magpie better not watch this DVD or else all the $2 shops around Findon will be out of silly string and custard pies, but then again some mascots in this DVD might learn a trick of two from the warbler of the western suburbs. There is one true mascot and Murray is his name.

It was a pretty good DVD and one the entire family could watch so if you see it around, grab a copy and enjoy a laugh as well as being inspired and amazed.

Topic #29223 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks for doing this one. Others will review Always Showtime and A Basketball Legend, but if you end up watching those, chime in once they've reviewed perhaps.

Reply #378191 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

We did bring in Dance Cam a couple of times last season. Kiss Cam was mentioned at one point too.

Reply #378196 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

They also had a lot of ten pin bowling in the half time entertainment and the obligatory mascots slam dunking.

There's a great scene where someone thinks its smart to pour their drink over a mascot....

Reply #378312 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754