Anonymous
Years ago

Pathways and Opportunities for Juniors

Just thought I would open up a discussion on what Pathways are around and people's opinions.

There is the typical starting point of Junior Rep

Then you have;

- ITP
- State Teams
- National Squads
- AIS

Now looking at external avenues;

- USA Tours
- High School Sports Academy
- Private School Scholarship
- Private Individual Coaching
- Australian College of Basketball
- Andrew Bogut Basketball Academy
- Other similar setups in various states.

What are peoples thoughts on these?

What is proving to be worthwhile?
What is proving to be all smoke and mirrors?

Seems like these days there are alot of options, with different kinds of promises and objectives being made.

Would love to hear people's feedback that have been involved with each of these pathways.

Topic #29255 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The old saying its not what you know its who you know :).

Reply #378524 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

Not one pathway fits all.

Although it can be confusing to coaches, parents and players it is a good thing that players have the range of opportunities they do.

The problem is, how do you find the right pathway for you?

Reply #378543 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, while it is lovely to have a conspiracy theory yours is rubbish. I have never seen anyone not make it, who had the requisite talent and capacity, because they did not "know" someone.

Conversely, I have never seen anyone genuinely make it because they do know someone. Even those who have been given opportunities ahead of where they should be are quickly found out.

Reply #378627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, no, Anon has a good point. Mills, Anderson, Bogut, Nielsen, INgles, Newley, Baynes, Maric etc etc all good to where they are because of who they knew. BAHAHAHA

Reply #378629 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sometimes you're just in the right place at the right time. Sometimes it is who you know, but you need the talent in the first place.

Reply #378632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Vic, it is often "not what you know but who" ,when making State Teams, however it is not long before they are found out and those with the real talent come through. It is astonishing the number of players who make the state teams in Juniors that are not even playing anymore, as it is all too hard when a new coach/selector comes along and they are suddenly not the favourites anymore.

Reply #378650 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I have faith in two things:

Reply #378669 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Bugger, it is not my computer...

What I was trying to say was:

1. That hard work will eventually pay off.

2. Coaches at the highest level are there for a reason, that is that they can sort out the pretenders from the contenders.

Whatever pathway a junior takes can lead to a career in basketball if that player has the right stuff.

Specifically for me it has always been attitude, effort, desire, then skill!

Horse comes before the cart folks...

Reply #378674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So does anyone have anything to say about the original post I made?
Does anyone have anything to say good or bad, both constructive about the pathways mentioned?

Reply #378752 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

They all cost parents a ship load of money!

Reply #379265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You got that right .

Reply #379271 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754