Double Clutch
Years ago

What's Hot/What's Not

For the haters who wanted more than one game, I travelled to Mt. Barker and the Powerhouse so far this week.

What's Hot:

• Daniel Phillips yo. 11/23 shooting for 31 points on 8/15 from the 3 point line in leading West to a 87 to 73 defeat of Eastern at Mr. Barker. With the game at 64 to 54 at 3 quarter time Phillips hit 5 from downtown in the final quarter, with 2 on consecutive possessions that broke the game apart.
  • Following on from Phillips performance, Paul Bell hit form in the last as well, with 3 big hook shots in the last in between Phillips bombs. Bell ended with 16 points on 6/13 shooting with 8 rebounds and 3 assists.
  • Nick "Bald Eagle" Hambour (as in Bald Eagle from the Muppets, it's all in the eyebrows people) following up 39 points with 27 points and 6 rebounds on 9/12 shooting with 8/10 from the foul line and 1/1 from downtown.
  • Simon "no game" Kent. I guess the bastard actually does have game. 7/14 shooting for 23 points and 11 rebounds with some nice makes from range. Maybe the guy has hope. If only he can learn to shoot from downtown.
  • Millicent. Best country basketball program in the state. Will be most represented in state team yet only 14th largest association by numbers.
  • Steve Williams. Dude is back in Adelaide for a couple of weeks from Belmont Abbey division 2 college. His sister is in the lightning squad and his father is the Eastern ABL coach.
  • Scott Arnold stepping up like an NBL caliber player should. He hit 7 points in the final four minutes in the second with one shot from downtown. He finished with 25 points on 10/17 shooting and 8 assists and 8 rebounds. Some highlights included a dunk in the first, a drive and dish for an Andrew Webber 3 in the 3rd, a steal followed by a missed lay-up, offensive board and finished with a circus shot. Gangsta.
  • Umpires.
  • s50-45 9.1 c of the ITAA 97, an extract from the fundamental tax legislation, non-assessable income, exempt entitires, various exempt entities, a game or sport.
  • Steve Nash NBA MVP, along with acronyms.
  • Downfall, heavy material but a great film if you can stomach it. Great display of why political apathy is dangerous.
  • North and Norwood both trapping, (especially Norwood trapping the point guard).
  • Andrew Webber. Academy player who went for 9 points and 6 assists today but never stopped working all day long. Had a block on cheapshot, offensive rebound and putback in the lane, and finished the extra pass from Arnold with a three. Meanwhile Michael Zorich had 12 points and 8 assists.
  • Yogee's clarification of an assist. From the Basketball Statistics Manual "an assist is not awarded simply when it is the last pass before a basket or because it was simply a "good pass." The onus for awarding the assist must be on the amount of work the scorer does and the immediacy of the shoorter's intention to score.'
  • Stolen street signs in houses, not naming any names.
  • Brad Bungy, 16 points on 6/11 shooting with 10 rebounds. Nice potential with this kid.

What's Not:
  • The absolute piece of junk series that is Star Wars and the nerds who are going to go watch it.
  • Joel Goodenough getting so much time at the point at Jason Warhurst's expense. Warhurst had 31 minutes and Goodenough 20. No offence to Goodenough, he's a fine player, but Warhurst has an awesome crossover and a more reliable jumper from what I've seen to penetrate. Warhurst had 12 points on 4/10 shooting with 2 assists while Goodenough had 0 points on 0/5 shooting with 4 assists. Playing a Warhurst-Davis backcourt for almost 40 minutes a game would be great to see.
  • Nathan "Looselips" Hawkes failing to give credit to teammates for the extra pass received for him to score. Shouldn't a senior member of the playing group acknowledge and encourage to boost morale? Arrogrance.
  • Here is a list of punks who missed open lay-ups this weekend: Brad Davis, Adam Becis, Toby Schaftenaar, Nic Hambour (and Mike "Cheapshot" Mckay for the put-back and Kent for the tip dunk) Ben Lomman, Scott Arnold.
  • Cheapshot also had an airball with a 3 on a fastbreak (yes the old man threw away the walking stick and went for a jog).
  • This just in from a woman's stat caller: Women's basketball = boring. More news when it comes to hand.
  • Mullets. The novelty is not worth the loss of dignity.
  • Seriously thought, 29 points in a game of basketball? I'd rather slit my wrists
  • Thorpie and his pet hair rat. In fact the less Thorpie in general the better.
  • Playing "Drop it like it's hot" at the Norwood game, not once but twice! This went along with a techno song with lyrics up for interpretation. Either "pull my whistle bitch" or "your mother is a bitch" which would be more appropriate for mothers day.
  • The fact that the Norwood v North game was so boring in parts Isaac was seen to yawn and read the real estate pages during periods of play.
  • Which brings me to Norwood. Great hustling outfit that can't score. Shot 25% FG in the first half for 29 points, which I guess a women's team would be pretty happy with.
  • Eastern playing "Mickey" twice, followed by "Gangsta's paradise" by Coolio and "Mr. Bombastic" by Shaggy. Listening to gangsta's paradise again made me want to be the one getting shot.
  • Intense junior coaches. It's critical in younger and lower divs the emphasis is fun, not win %.
  • Rip-off of the Seinfeld theme on Celebrities' uncensored.
  • Stats calling protocol to credit a Turnover to the player having possession when a shot clock expires. Surely it should be a team turnover, not one players fault?

Find of the week:
    • William Foster. Don't know much about the kid, but he gives 100% effort for 14 points on 6/15 shooting and 8 rebounds in 22 minutes which included a block on Kent for which Foster jumped from out of bounds. What is Foster's story?

Flop of the week:
    • Simon Kent. Nah just kidding. Women's basketball is the flop of the week. 29 points in a game? Are you kidding me? Flop.

Celebrity of the week:
    • Zero Hour. Ok so no one knows who he is but he is a former state country player who gave me a lift to Mt. Barker. Major props. He's also crazy, wearing a shirt in the cold of the mountains. Congrats Zero Hour, for joining the great list of celebs to grace this list.

Battle of the week
    • Panther v Dougie
    • Panther 25 min for 5 pts 6 boards 4 fls
    • Dougie 22 min for 10 pts 7 boards 6 fls
    • Winner...Dougie!

And finally a shout-out to Dr. Dunkeinstein for major help on this list, for which he contributed a lot, and Isaac as ever for some ideas. I'm out.

Topic #2926 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great Job D.C.

Hilarious.

Reply #33241 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is it a crime to be capable of watching the game, yawning, talking to you, and perusing the real estate lift-out all at once? Haha.

The list of layup-missers is a nice addition.

With regard to women's basketball, it's a bit harsh making those claims after seeing North beat Sturt last weekend -- there's good women's basketball out there. Still, it doesn't say "Double Controversy Clutch" on your birth certificate for nothing...

Reply #33242 | Report this post

zerohour  
Years ago

That was the Greatest Hot/Not list so far! Good Work Guys!

something to add:

- What's Hot
> Taking the hard rubbish from the side of the roads, you can find some good stuff :)

- What's Not
> Australian Hip Hop

Reply #33243 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I'd have to add a couple

Hot

Matt Elder - Woodville's new import - could be the key.

Great crowd for the Warriors vs Centrals game - well done to all the Blue Crew who came to the Dome to add some extra atmosphere.

Whats Not
Screaming to try and put a plyer off his free throw when the ball is in flight - when it's left the hands, all the screaming in the world wont alter the shot people!

Reply #33244 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

What's hot - Bobby Hunnerup having faith in his full-time roster. Only using Blake in short spurts. Without seeing the stats, I'd say he only ran 20-25mins.

Finch's pure hustle play in the 3rd. Ball tipped loose, spills into Eastern backcourt. Trebilcock follows the ball, content to see it run out of bounds. Finch runs, dives around Trebilcock for the behind-the-back save to Craddock for the lay-up. Finch pumps fist and points at bench. thedoctor gets excited and accidently elbows girlfriend. Girlfriend not happy. thedoctor blames Trebilcock for not hustling. Girlfriend does not agree.

What's Not - thedoctor's prediction that Bobby Hunnerup wouldn't bench Blake/Bell for the good of the offence.

My bad Bobby, well coached Bob and Diesel.

Reply #33245 | Report this post

round ball  
Years ago

Sounds to me like Double Clutch is severly suffering from "tall Poppy Syndrome" with his garbage reports and insults of players who actually put in the hard work and get on court to play the game, but then its much easier to sit on the sideline and stuff your face with pies and Ice coffee and think your the worlds greatest basketball expert.

Reply #33261 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I didn't notice any pies or ice coffee, just a notebook and pages of notes on the game(s). You might like to be more specific with regard to your criticism of his lists.

Reply #33262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally, i don't see any insults in D.C's list... Sure he takes the piss out of some who miss open lay-ups, but come on, it's all in good fun. haha

Good Work D.C. Always a good read guaranteed.

p.s. good to see some comments about the bearcats too..

Reply #33264 | Report this post

DC observer  
Years ago

I agree to some extent with round ball. however at least dc takes the time to do his homework and back his statements with facts. most good players are the first to admit when they have a bad game and dont mind people making an honest assesment. dc appears to have a genuine interest in the game and his lists create good discussion on the forum.

its better than people that come on here for example and just bag players with generalises statement like "he has no game" or "should not be there" etc. just for the sake of it with no basis of fact.

keep up the good work dc.

Reply #33274 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Round ball,
Your comments are fair enough, I don't expect this list to be to everyone's liking. The aim of the list is simply to create some interest in ABL, with some intelligent discourse on player's abilities and performances. Not to blow smoke up myself too much, but about the time I started doing this list ABL crowd numbers began to slowly grow again. That is mostly due to the work of HoopsSA and Isaac, but I like to feel this list has played somewhat of a role in creating interest for the ABL. As it is, i kid because I love. If you still have a problem just come up and talk to me at a game, I'll be more than pleased to talk to you. Unless your Mike Mckay of course, because I don't want to get into an arguement with the elderly.

What's Not:
Zero Hour. A stingy punk who picks up old rubbish and uses it as furniture while listening to Ja Rule.

Reply #33278 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

that's a quick demise, Zero Hour. Overnight celebrity to What's Not in less than a day.

What's Hot NBA Finals
What's Not Foxtel coverage of NBA Finals.

Reply #33283 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

haha great work DC on this weeks What's hot/What's not, I really rate this weeks. Good Job!

Reply #33304 | Report this post

Straight Fringe  
Years ago

Not hot:
Dr Dunkenstiens hair at the Woodville vs Eastern Game yesterday.
What are you thinking?

Reply #33326 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

"WHAT'S NOT: Thorpie and his pet hair rat. In fact the less Thorpie in general the better."

I guess you would have to class his hair "style" (and I use that term very loosely) as a MULHAWK - part Mullet, part Mohawk!

Reply #33328 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Whats Hot: Double Clutch's whats hot/whats not list (KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK)

Whats Not: Woodville Vs Centrals-Playing Village People "YMCA" @ the start of the 4th remixed with some other shit, Please never again.

Reply #33351 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

Double Clutch - great list, but stop being a music hater. All you do is bag the music where ever you go! I challenge you to give us a better ABL playlist!

Reply #33394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's Hot -

Darren Ng vs Tigers: 33pts and he sat for the ENTIRE 4th qtr!! (he had 18pts in the 1st qtr)

Reply #33432 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

What's NOT :
Dean Brogan on Talking Hoops tonight .. bottom of the barrel fella's ..

Unless someone asks him about his little stoush with Pero Vasiljevic the interview will consist of the interviewers trying to get him to say more than "grunt" ..

Reply #33448 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:37 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754