Needtojump
Years ago

Verticle jump manual

Should I buy one of the Internet or do any of you guys have any recommendations on how to increase my verticle?

Topic #29340 | Report this topic

Needtojump  
Years ago

Off* not of

Reply #379660 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

find yourself a really good personal trainer somebody that understands biomechanics. Can really help to improve technique of jumping and do a fair bit of deadlifting along with plyometrics.

Reply #379666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go to a gym called Fast Twich they will help you

Reply #379685 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Learn how to spell vertical for a start or you might end up with a manual that explains things you were not really expecting.

ROFL !

Reply #379692 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

ankle weights, dead lifts and constant jumping.. lower your rim if possible and practice on a lower height, then keep trying to dunk on each level till you reach the top!

Reply #379714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Squats, deadlifts, calf raises.
2. Tonne of streching
3. Plyometrics

Reply #379769 | Report this post

Rhea 82  
Years ago

don't use ankle weights....they essentially pull apart the knees as it is an unusually down force leading to cartilage problems

as for 'programs' air alert 3 is one i know a lot of people have used and achieved good results (also it's free to download). However you need to be extremely careful with programs like these as they are quite intense and can cause injuries, especially on the knees. If you do a program like this make sure you do a lot of stretching in between and don't persist if you have any pain (esp in the knees). I know more than 1 guy who has tried to 'work through the pain' and ended up with 4 years of knee problems...hardly worth the ability to throw down a dunk.

All that said I find spending all this time specifically on vertical is sometimes stupid. Firstly i think a strong all round physical fitness a base is underrated in jumping. I'm 6'3" so i've never had to do programs or weights to dunk, but i know i've been able to jump my highest after a preseason of running and general fitness (like 2-3 inches better). I've never done any lifting outside of 'circuit' style stuff (jumps with 10kg weights etc). Other friends have said they have had the greatest increase after doing upper body weights, and others see increases when doing leg weights (not a program but in part of their normal fitness regime).

Quite an essay i've written...my point is i would suggest working on your all round fitness, and you will see a vast improvement in your vertical, as well as your stamina, speed, quickness etc. Even if you don't have the extra bounce needed to throw down over defenders, you'll be a much better player

Reply #379812 | Report this post

Rhea 82  
Years ago

I forgot to add to my essay... Stretching

As much as you can do. Do it while you're on the train, waiting for a beer, on the toilet...just do it.

You'd be amazed how much it improves performance and recovery

Reply #379813 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:41 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754