Darryn
Years ago

Searching for Australian Bigs to play QBL

Hi all I am currently looking for one to two players to play QBL next seson. I am looking for two bigs if possible but would settle for one big and a swing man. If anybody knows of any Austrlians that would fit this please let me know.

Darryn Roche
(Bundaberg Bulls QBL mens head coach)

Topic #29369 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of young guys from bigv would suit

Brett Fennell
Alex Bogart-King
Scott Cuffe

The list is endless really

Reply #379996 | Report this post

Darryn  
Years ago

If anyone knows of any players please email me at [email protected] and let me know how to contact them.

Cheers Darryn Roche

Reply #380004 | Report this post

Rhea 82  
Years ago

Scott Cuffe is about 34, but i agree. He's a very good player. If you're looking for a 2/3 man the list is literally endless. A lot of 4's around too, as mentioned above

Reply #380006 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Problem is getting somebody to move interstate.

Reply #380009 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

From Big V your best bet would be a Brett Fennell or Alex Bogart-King, Adrien Sturt guys who would probably like the experenice & the $$$

Cuffe is a bit to old and i believe he has a very good job at a Hospital so less likely to move interstate for ball but he can certainly play!

If you have dollars to throw around bigs are harder to come by in most leagues so you have to pay a bit more to get good ones.

Reply #380010 | Report this post

Darryn  
Years ago

If they want an opportunity to play decent mins they will. Moving can be difficult but can be worth it for the chance to play.

Reply #380011 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Hi Darryn,

Out of curiostiy, what sort of rumeneration would be offered to these players?

Thanks,
T

Reply #380028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Email him lol

Reply #380045 | Report this post

Darryn  
Years ago

We are not a big club but there is some renumeration involved. If you are keen or know someone who is please email me and we can discuss it. Obviously it also depends on the player as well.

Reply #380046 | Report this post

Rhea 82  
Years ago

I don't see Bogart-King or Sturt doing it. Sturt would be on decent coin in England/ Big V, and i believe Bogart is looking at a lower overseas league gig/ college. The other problem is they get payed decently (4-8k in big v i believe), and get good minutes so i don't see what QBL would have to offer. (not meaning to piss on your bonfire or anything).

I think you should ask around for young up and coming guys that could do with more burn/ senior positions and don't have jobs holding them down or anything. I don't have any knowledge of youth league but i'm sure some other guys do

Reply #380050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stuart wOuld be on more than 8 grand surely?

Reply #380051 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Probably better off trying to coax someone down from rocky/mackay/townsville/cairns or up from the south east corner than get them to move interstate. Plenty of guys available.

Reply #380052 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Rhea you've grossly over quoted what Big V guys are getting paid.....most are lucky to get more than $2K and a number of clubs don't even pay in the SCM division except maybe 1 or 2 players!

Teams that don't pay: Melb, Bulleen, Sherbrooke

Teams that pay 1 or 2: DV, Eltham, Corio

Teams were everyone gets paid: Hume, Wav, Ringwood

I think outside of imports or NBL players most fringe/bench players don't get a cent in the Big V.

Reply #380055 | Report this post

Rhea 82  
Years ago

Tiger watcher- You're obviously more knowledgeable than me on this, i was just taking a bit of a stab on what Sturt/ Bogart-King would be getting. I was guessing on what i know Cuffe got paid this year (4k i believe).

Still my point is these guys are already playing big minutes and getting decent money, so you'd have to offer a fair bit more for them to move up to Qld. Unless they really like the hotter climate

Reply #380059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the word i got is that just about all Corio bay players got at least some coin. obviously Williams was on big $$ but i would be surprised to see Reardon, Hutchison play for free. James Walker was on coin playing footy prior to coming back so he would have been paid you would think???

Reply #380060 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

Darryn

if you are looking for a big man, why don't you look in NSW. most of the teams don't pay there players. if you sort out accomidation and work you will find you will get a few guys interest.

* Rory Sutton from Parra, 6'8 young banging forward whom is looking for a chance to grow
* Martin Iti heard he is looking to get out of the state and hasn't recieved much interest.
* Stefan Fearnley from sydney comets a 6'5 2/3 whom is a young athletic starter for comets
* Goran Veg 6'9 center from Parra been around
* Tanner Kerry 6'8 forward form norths

most of these guys would travel interest state
or the other thing is look at NZBL players there always looking to come here, most of there guys will be 6'4 - 6'5 bigs tho

Reply #380061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay paid at least 4-5 players to play their first season in Big V. Nothing wrong with that, needed to do something to put a team together.

Reply #380064 | Report this post

Darryn  
Years ago

Jason do you have any contact details for these guys would love to have a chat.

Reply #380069 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Rhea: Not sure where u get your info but i don't think many guys in the league get $4K.
Outside of 1 or 2 marquee players most get petrol money...but i think a few of the top teams don't pay the fringe guys as they work on the fact that they are finals contenders to atrract & keep talent...cause really 3k or 4k isn't enough to change your life if and if your playing for a poor team it isn't going to make it enjoyable on those cold training nights in June when you aren't winning!

Reply #380070 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Bundaberg won't win many games but are almost guaranteed a finals berth due to the odd way the conferences work in deciding playoff qualifiers in the QBL.

So there's always that...

Reply #380072 | Report this post

Darryn  
Years ago

Not sure about that Mick we may suprise a few teams next year we have been recruiting well and did play well towards the end of the year beating one of the finalists and pushing the eventual winner.

Reply #380073 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Isn't Scott Cuffe like 6'2"?

Reply #380105 | Report this post

Rhea 82  
Years ago

I heard it straight from Scotty, but obviously no guarantee he's telling the truth. I'd say he's 6'4", 6'5" but can certainly play well above that.

Yeah i know what you're saying TW, but 3 or 4k is good for something you'd do for free anyway

Reply #380114 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754