Goggles
Years ago

Big V news

Heard that Geelong has been told they can't field a Div 1 team anymore due to the Supercats and basketball Geelong joining up. And the Big V not allowing teams to have more then 1 senior team and a youth league team. Interesting case as Geelong is the only team with a SEABL team and big v youth team!

Also Mildura pushing hard to enter SA league!

Topic #29376 | Report this topic

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

that would be a huge loss from the D1 comp as Geelong are always contenders.

I'd heard about the Mildura to CABL which would make logistical sense for CABL & Mildura.

If both teams weren't in for the 2013 season it would mean D1 has lost it's two best teams....which is a bad result for the Big V D1 comp

Reply #380088 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

What happened to the Big V youtube rumours clip this week. Im told it got dragged after a number of complaints from different clubs.Big V get your act together before you all get shown the door!!!

Reply #380091 | Report this post

BobbyO  
Years ago

That Callum kid on there is all yap.. He talks trash about everyone, but he has no game to back it up!

Reply #380092 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

BigV Silly Season Youtube show is actually really entertaining, if any club has a problem with it I simply think they are being too sensitive about it.

After all they are only mentioning what people are telling them.

Cal has a pretty hard task, he has to try and be entertaining while playing in the same league as these guys. Not an easy job.

Just lighten up and enjoy it.

Werribee making the jump to SCM? Div1 is then a whole lot weaker...

Reply #380093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SO is BSA going to foot the bill for the extra cost of travelling to Mildura. Clubs are struggling enough with recent (past year) increases in costs from BSA. Just another cost for the clubs for waht benefit to the league?!?!

Reply #380095 | Report this post

Years ago

Will be interesting and something different here if mildura play central - their juniors have been playing sa country champs for years

Reply #380096 | Report this post

Boomer  
Years ago

Geelong will be in D1 next season. Ring the Supercats office they will tell you the same thing.

HappyDays- Calm down mate. 2 Staff are on leave this week and 2 next week. It will return the week after.

Reply #380099 | Report this post

SABOY  
Years ago

Should have look at the Mildura thing might be good for the SA teams to at least have one road trip.

Reply #380100 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Having this garbage on the Big V site is just asking for trouble. By doing this the League is actually sanctioning rumours and gossip and what makes it worse is the CEO on there acting very UN CEO LIKE. You dont see the AFL putting up a couple of wankers talking trash on thier web site do you ?? What about the netballers or soccer leagues. Just shows how poorly run and childish the whole thing can be at times. You want to be taken seriously stop acting like amatures !!

Reply #380101 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I have not seen this show but I turned off watching BigV TV very early in the season. Too many in jokes, too many programs and it appeared later in the season it just tried to invent stunt after stunt. Having said that, the SEABL preview show was, as I said early in the season, audience threateningly dull.... certainly killed me.

Reply #380104 | Report this post

Boomer  
Years ago

The competition has improved, crowds up, sponsorship up, media output including OT magazine going great guns, the league is looking the best it has since the MC days. With a very limited budget their media team does the best it can to engage people in the sport. If you don't like what they are offering don't watch. The 600-700 people that watched the shows 2nd episode obviously think it's ok or the numbers would not have went up from the week before. Good on them for trying something different.

Reply #380106 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I do enjoy the Big V TV as it adds something however the rumours are sometimes just plain made up by the show and can create issues with players/clubs that dont exist. Also i find it hard to wacth when Justin is known as one of the biggest gossipers in the league and uses this leverage to recruit players or talk down coaches/players.

Callum has a tough gig being a player/commentator/employee but overall i think he does a pretty good job trying to be unbiased.

Love to see a once the week fun show and then a serious show that looks at the results rather than just the box scores and people with "funny" names!

Reply #380107 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Before starting a post like this on a rumour I suspect calling the office of the Association would have answered the question about Geelong and the Big V Div 1 issue?

As for Mildura, the poor buggers are so isolated that teams from both states are not too keen to travel to them it seems!

Reply #380109 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Anon and Boomer your right on the money.There is a big difference between fact and fiction and some of the fiction caused a number of clubs to contact the league and ask for it to be taken down or further action would be taken.As a result it was binned.You wont see that sort of show produced by any other leagues that i know of.SEABL,NBL,NBA,AFL,SBL,QBL,CABL to name a few.

Reply #380122 | Report this post

DS  
Years ago

This thread seems to have morphed into more of a discussion about Big V media ... so be it.

I think the shows during the year have been pretty good, but the "silly season" version is just asking for trouble and will cause angst amongst the league's key stakeholders - the Clubs. Not a great idea, find another angle.

Couple of things to improve:

1. The hosts need to figure out what will be funny for the audience, not what they think is hilarious. And guys, there are hundreds of players in the league, we are tired of hearing about the same handful each week.

2. As TW has commented, anyone on this sort of show has to be seen to be independent, you can't be biased. The main man is to close to one club - it's fine to have a club connection, but it should not be obvious (which it is).

Reply #380197 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Back to Big V news i've heard that Werribee have applied for entry to SCM and signed Cam Mitchell (Import from Warrnambool)

It would be great to have them back in the comp and adding Cam to that young group would be fantastic as they can build over a few years together.

Reply #380199 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Tommy Greer is apparently playing down at Warrandyte. I'm not quite sure how they can continually argue that none of their players are paid...

Reply #380200 | Report this post

SABOY  
Years ago

Warrandyte should be the team that goes to SCM if Tommy is down there plus they are getting Tron Smith back plus Gerard Leonard plus Vashon Weaver plus Jordan Canovan.

Reply #380208 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

I can 100% confirm that Jordan Canovan will not be playing for Warrandyte in 2013, he had a meeting with them but nothing has actually come about from it.

Warrandyte should be looking to move up if they do sign Greer, it would ridiculous for them to stay in Div 1 with a career NBL player in their squad

Reply #380209 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Greer isn't playing at Warrandyte...because pretty sure Warrandyte's constitution says they don't pay players....(LOL)!

Greer is tight with Lenard but you'd think he'd play Big V or SEABL and get paid good coin to do so as even if you add Greer to the Warrandyte team that were only average in D1 they won't win many in SCM...thats if tehy keep Weaver who is looking around with eltham interested from what i've been told.

Reply #380211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can confirm that Werribee have applied for SCM next season. Three teams have put in applications with the other two being McKinnon and Warrandyte.

There are 3 new teams that have applied for D2m Shep, Darebin are both returning and Oakliegh are applying for entry.

IF the above was to happen, one would guess that then 3 teams from D2M this season will go up. Just guessing here but perhaps Craigieburn, Keysborough and Horsham???

Reply #380213 | Report this post

SABOY  
Years ago

Should Mildura have to then go up to SCM seems the won D1 this season.

Reply #380219 | Report this post

Rhea 82  
Years ago

Vashon Weaver getting interest from SCM? He sucked at the div 1 level. Well past his prime

Reply #380226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McKinnon must be bringing in a few players for them to have a chance in SCM and for Warrandyte to have a chance they would have to bring some sort of rule in that allows them to play with more then 1 ball.

As someone who doesn't have much knowledge of the SA league how would of Mildura's team gone in it this season?

Reply #380233 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I think Corio Bays great season this year has made a few of the D1 teams consider stepping up...the only questions really is how many of those teams have a Reardon/Williams combo to build around!

Imports like Williams are hard to find and Reardon is a flat our gun at ABA level so unless those teeam are going to spend big $$ on taking players from other team i'm not sure were the talent is going to come from.

That said i like Werribee coming into SCM as they are young and are really the only reps from the western suburbs if they get accepted.

(Would prefer teams to win D1 first before considering the step up)

Reply #380491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any word on the makeup of the merged Big V SYC1 and D-League?

Reply #380529 | Report this post

BobbyO  
Years ago

From all reports out of Horsham. It looks as though they could easily make the step up to Div 1 with the recruiting they have already done!

Reply #380550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is heading to Horsham Bobby?

Reply #380554 | Report this post

BobbyO  
Years ago

From what people around here have heard.
They have signed from last year:
Pickert
Bruce
Collier
Southerland

New players:
McSwain from Ballarat Miners
Dorward, who use to play with them.
Sammy Gazzo from Melb.

Dont know how correct this is but if they get those guys, some may say Div2 will be to easy for them!

Reply #380666 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Could be right on that one BobbyO. Most of those boys are playing locally together at the moment.

Reply #380674 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Alot of word around the NBL preseason tourney was that Eric Williams is heading back to Nunawading for 2013 season....which is a massive loss for Corio Bay.

Not alot else going on in terms of signings in terms of the other finalists from last year.

Ringwood: Pretty much the same waiting on Bowlin but might be less Sturt (Harrington will no doubt find a good recruit)

Waverley: Big V TV annouced they signed up everyone but no mention of Dillon or Lewis...talk of ex NBA player as an import.

Eltham: Sounds alot like ringwood they'll keep same team, but you'd think minus Trigger so you'd expect an NBL or import player to come on board.

Hume: Resigned Brown/Maybank plus big word around that Kansak from DV the ex junior is heading back.

Dv: New Coach but a few of there players are calling other coaches for games. Expect Bridgewater back so more of the same!

Sherbrooke: Still in champ??? Got a coach? anyone know?

Werribee: D1 core plus Cam Mitchell is the big word around town. Love to see it happen to add another team!

Reply #380704 | Report this post

SABOY  
Years ago

Should Big V split SCM into 2 conference system as it was in D1 this season? Seemed to work ok in that.

Reply #380812 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Not enough teams to have 2 conferences in SCM plus as the elite comp of the Big V the 3 game finals seris are a real highlight!

Reply #380841 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Looks like a few annoucments this week with Arkell to Waverley!

Wow thats a big one for them and should put them right in the hunt...he is a great shooter!

New Coach at Sherbrooke...you'd think that Jordan Canovan will end up there and a whisper tells me Permeter might follow him!

Reply #381774 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

If that is the case then Horsham should be going up to D1M. They will hands down be way to strong for D2M

Traditionally speaking Horsham seem to like to stay within their comfort zone so I'm not sure if they will be wanting to go up.

However, That is a team that could make D1 finals

Reply #382647 | Report this post

SABOY  
Years ago

Any more news on teams that may be going from D1 to championship or the other way ???

Reply #382741 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Still word around that Mildura want to go the Central ABA or up to championship in Big V...you'd think Central ABA would be a smarter move for all concerned as it would beneft Club & that league more than the Big V.

Still alot of rumours around about a couple of the stronger d1 clubs making the step up mainly Werribee..but possibly McKinnon & Warandyte.

In terms of player movement Arkell to Waverley is the only really big move and Kansak to Hume City.

Reply #382747 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

Would be great to see Werribee and Mildura in Champ men, really hope it happens!

Reply #382755 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Agree Sixerfan would love to see werribee step up...not sure on Mildura as will they have the depth of talent and the juniors/youth coming thru to support the move long term (3-5years)??

I'd actully think the CABL would be a better fit for Mildura and really add something to that league...but either way the shoukld move on from D1 (Pending there import selection)

Reply #382760 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

I completely agree about Mildura and Werribee going to SCM.

Would love to see one of the other mentioned teams going up as well. I think Warrandyte are probably in the box seat for that to happen as Tron Smith is coming back for 2013.

Also have been asking around about Horsham and apparently they have requested to stay in D2M. That is crazy and they would destroy that league you would think.

Reply #382766 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Tom as per the other thread you posted in if Mt Gambier & Mildura went to CABL that would be a massive boast for BSA but that said if they both came to Big V that also would be massive however from Mt Gambiers point of veiw i can't see why they would step down a level as they appear to be heading in the right direction.

Reply #382775 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

Agreed, Mt Gambier surely wont drop down?

Mildura could go either way I think.

Werribee are ready to go up to Big V Champ.

Reply #382784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Mt Gambier and Mildura came into BigV SCM id say SCM would most likely fold because the reason most of the teams opted for SCM over SEABL was costs of being in SEABL due to travel..
I cant see any of the SCM clubs supporting them joining.

Reply #382794 | Report this post

Max Power  
Years ago

The Big V clubs are still better off in terms of cost there would be an extra 2 bus trips. Still cheaper than flying to a mixture of Tasmania, Canberra, and Brisbane a few times a year. Additionally, the entry fees into SCM is about half of the entry in to SEABL.

Mil dura are getting 2 new imports who will be SCM standard. Good on them for trying to step up.

Also, hearing a lot of teams un happy with Horsham trying to poach so many players. The Big V need to flex some muscle and force them to go up.

Reply #383060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the extra costs of buses or flights and accomodoation would need to be factored into the entry costs to SCM. Cant imagine too many SCM Teams (including mildura/Mt G)would be pleased about busing to/from Mt Gambier/Mildura when they could/should fly like the SEABL teams did.

Reply #383070 | Report this post

Big V fan  
Years ago

Have heard that Horsham are looking to be pretty stacked and also may have an import coming over.

Definitely way to strong for D2M,but they have requested to stay in D2

Reply #383338 | Report this post

Big V fan  
Years ago

Have heard that Horsham are looking to be pretty stacked and also may have an import coming over.

Definitely way to strong for D2M,but they have requested to stay in D2

Reply #383339 | Report this post

BobbyO  
Years ago

Max Power, I can tell you this for a fact. Horsham have never poached players.. The guys from out of town who go and play there have shown interest in wanting to play in a country town and in front of big crowds for a year or so!
Why would they want to move up a division when they havent won a Div 2 championship yet?

Reply #383343 | Report this post

SABOY  
Years ago

Can Warandyte possibly load up anymore??? Should they be playing in Championship this season, and is there anyone from Warandyte in the squad??

Reply #383734 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Looks like Lee & Haining from Sherbrook have gone to Warrandyte.....can't believe they are loading up some much again after it didn't work last year!

I think as a club they have no interest in developing there own talent!

I like how they don't pay anyone!!! lol what a joke that is!

Reply #383759 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The big mouth down there who pulls all the strings has conned that many families over the years with his promises of junior development. Its about time people see him for what he is, a true con man who thinks he is a real journo.

Reply #383764 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I think we all know who you are talking about....must admit i find it funny how he is always getting players across from other clubs for "further Development" when really they are playing at the same level...its all about the cash!!!

Reply #383792 | Report this post

Big V fan  
Years ago

Warrandyte are trying to get into SCM for 2013 but have been told they need to perform better at D1M.

That person you are talking about is extremly unhappy with that.

I guess money can't buy happiness.

However it would be good to see another SCM team

Reply #384104 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

W'dyte need to get some runs on the board first before moving up to SCM...they had talent but could not put it all together last season.

Reply #384109 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

they also need to get a better court to play on if going to CM. I am sick of seeing the top level big v teams play on crappy primary school courts with no decent seating etc. Sherbrook's court is just plain dangerous with no decent gap from the court to the players bench and with the bloody big steel pillar behind you its a major injury waiting to happen.
The Big V front office need to raise the std of EVERYTHING not just window dressing.

Reply #384117 | Report this post

Rhea 91  
Years ago

yeah i agree with better courts ^

Reply #384119 | Report this post

B-Man  
Years ago

There is no way Warrandyte's stadium is suited for senior basketball let alone Big V. When the change room is the P.E teachers office that only holds half your team and then you have to go use the 1 shower in the public toilets after the game is a joke. They have a lot of things to worry about before they even consider buying there State Championship team.

Reply #384330 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

I believe Warrandyte are acutally building new changerooms over the Summer... I think I remember reading this on their website

Reply #384331 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

a new shower rose and extra shitter doesnt make for much change !!

Reply #384338 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Funny still sounds better than the Corio Bay change rooms.....they are terrible...they are to small and only have 1 shower which almost predates man kind!

Reply #384339 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher, in regards to Corio Bay's home court, they are getting renovations/upgrades. The whole lay out is getting demolished and will be completely different. When the upgrades have finished it will be one of the better facilities.

Reply #384351 | Report this post

SABOY  
Years ago

At least the court is flat unlike Mildura that has a hill in the middle, players run slower untill they get to the half way line then pick up speed on the way down. LOL

Reply #384438 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Just came across this...

Warrandyte to build new change rooms

Reply #384452 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Oh my, what a HUGE announcement !! If this is what they think is important then I guess basketball is really moving forward at Venom.

Reply #384455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol good on the venom. Maybe they can do the big V show from the changerooms at the warandyte primary school next season

Reply #384465 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754