skip
Years ago

Preseason Blitz - 36ers v Hawks

Fisrt preseason game for the 36ers against proper NBL opposition kicks off in about an hour.

Both teams have enjoyed successful preseason games so far, but neither have played with their full line up yet.

Any idea if Deleon is suiting up for this?

A successful tournament will do wonders fans confidence you would think.

Game starts 5pm Adelaide time.

Live stats.

Topic #29379 | Report this topic

Needtojump  
Years ago

Thanks for the link to wildcats vs kings!

Reply #380115 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Reply #380116 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Apparently we have a new player in our team named Tom Dooly.

Reply #380117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlon-esque.

Reply #380119 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looks like Massingale is our most effective player
but only a few minutes . Weigh plays the most minutes

Reply #380121 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not too much to be unhappy about so far. New faces doing well. (Perfect game for me as a fan - Adelaide doing well, Hawks not far behind and Oscar scoring well.)

Cadee, Gibson and Massingale all playing fairly efficiently.

Sixers go cold. 8-0 run from the Hawks and it's 75-75. Deleon started cold and has finally scored.

Reply #380125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 nothing run Hawks tied game, great.

Reply #380126 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Johnson up to 23 points.

Petrie out with back soreness, though just a precautionary thing.

Reply #380127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've missed basketball haha.

Reply #380128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im not saying this because of a preseason game, I already had this opinion before. But does anyone else think the Daniel Johnson is ready to take over the league? Big man-wise anyway?

Reply #380129 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

OT

Reply #380130 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Five in double-figures for Adelaide. Massingale and Johnson with four fouls each. Game is in overtime.

I don't think Gruber and Forman can cover Johnson and Schenscher offensively. Big height advantage for whoever is on Gruber.

Reply #380131 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Weigh plays 36 minutes. Thought we'd be past this crap now that we have a good team.
Good first half, not so good second.
DJ continues his great preseason.
8 assists for Gibson is encouraging.
Cadee appears to be the 5th starter.
No Wilson or Coenraad for them, so you'd expect us to win it.

Reply #380132 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Hurdle 3/14. Not cool. Wouldn't want that in your dreamteam...

Reply #380133 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hurdle: 3/15 FG. Forcing it?

Could see some decent assist counts from Gibson playing with DJ and Schensch?

Reply #380134 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Need a 3 off the last play to force Double OT. Let's see if it's same old same or a new breed.

Reply #380135 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hendo, they don't have anyone called Wilson. You might mean Demos.

Reply #380136 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

DJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #380137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Please can we get a result. I was meant to leave the office 20 minutes ago.

Reply #380138 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Big Trey!!!

Reply #380139 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

JOHNSON FOR THREEEEE

97-97 with 8 seconds left in OT

Weigh 41 mins, that's ridiculous.

Reply #380140 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wow big three from DJ. Double OT looking likely!

Reply #380141 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Haha, Wilson plays for Cairns. So us missing Petrie is probably worse than them with Coenraad.

Reply #380142 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Double OT!!!!!!

Reply #380144 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Double OT it is. Might have to stay in the office and order pizza Isaac!

Reply #380145 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Are you guys watching it?
Why are we getting dominated on the boards and they also have more points in the paint, thought with our size we could top those charts

Reply #380146 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Davidson left the court in the 4th and did not return so must be injured. Forman fouled out so the Hawks are very undersized.

Reply #380147 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Yeah but Gruber is killing us

Reply #380148 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Lost 105-104 I think

Good question, even without Petrie we should be rebounding better.

Good signs from Johnson, Gibson, Schenscher, Massingale and Cadee points wise.

Reply #380149 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah rebounding still a big problem for the Sixers. Gruber with 19 and 12, including 7 offensive!

Reply #380150 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Bulldog. I said undersized. Never mentioned effort or heart.
Is Johnson really good or does he just shoot a lot? I have read lots about his improved offensive game but personally would rather have read about improvement at the other end.
Must have been an exciting game and Hawks continue their nice pre season run.

Reply #380151 | Report this post

Justin  
Years ago

Hmm Weigh 44 minutes, 8 points on 2/7 fg. Creek 14 minutes, 8 points on 3/4 fg.

Reply #380152 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

There needs to be some sort of device that gives Marty and Mark a little electric shock when Weigh reaches 30 minutes playing time and for each minute he plays over 30mins, the shock escalates.

That way, the coaches can feel the same pain as us 36ers fans whenever Weigh gets overplayed.

Has anyone played so many minutes for so little output in a 36ers singlet?

Overall, a decent effort by Adelaide by the looks of it - however scoring power still seems to be a slight issue, and the rebounding does need to be fixed.

Reply #380153 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Scoring is not the problem for the 6ers.

Hint....

Gruber 19 points. Should tell you something.

You want to hope Petrie fills the void a bit.

Reply #380154 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Scoring power*

Reply #380156 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

KET, the answer to that is yes: Mark Nash.

Reply #380159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh played 44minutes for 8 points! Some one is definitely taking the piss here. Unlike previous seasons this team has a stacked roster, so jokes over Marty, sit ANY player when they arent performing. In 2012 there is a player on the bench that can come in produce where Weigh isnt.

Reply #380160 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Thank the hoops gods that we have Weigh, without him in the team getting these minutes we may well have had to put up with the Tassie Twins for a 4th season. Hopefully he will remain injury free for the whole season and thus play lots of minutes- Ohh - wait - ohhh Yesss --- now I remember - he played all last season injured which is why his production was down so this season he should be able to average 2pt @ 10 minutes.

I'm betting that the wildcats are really kicking themselves about losing him - and having to put up with Bevo instead our our gun pair - perhaps they will see their mistake and try to poack Marty, Mark and Weight off us at the end of the season ?.

I'm already really looking forward to the 2013/14 season.

Reply #380161 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Its only a pre season game. You don't want to reveal all your tricks at this stage.

Reply #380165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Davidson left the game with what looked like a minor knee injury.

Massingale looked pretty good but should have gotten more minutes. He is a clutch shooter and was on the bench when it mattered.

Cadee and Weigh seemed to get too many minutes for what they produced.

Gruber looked very good tonight. Seems over his injuries.

Forman had a hot hand for a while

Schensher missed a hook shot on the buzzer to end the game.

Reply #380166 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The 36ers are looking like a nice team..Good balance and depth.

I see an issue with Creek's minutes.
I hope the minutes Creek got tonight aren't a precursor for whats to come in the season.

He deserves more minutes..especially some of Weigh's 44 minutes.

They really need to manage this issue, whether it means playing Creek at the 2..There needs to be a resolution.

Because if this issue persists for this season and the next, then Creek will be coming off his contract (AFAIK) and he will be in his prime, and the likes of Sydney, Melb, and possibly new teams like Brisbane or a 2nd Melb team will be willing to throw big money at him and starter-like minutes (34+)

Reply #380169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys, its a preseason game, stop worrying about the minutes. Wouldn't be surprised if minutes were reversed in the next game

Reply #380170 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

I have to kind of agree with the above anonymous.. that its a preseason game, and theres a game tommorow they are probably just distributing the minutes that way in light of that. but Yes I did also notice Weighs incredibily high amount of minutes, getting more minutes then big contributers and it does make me worry... seeing as its a trend that followed on from last year, and weigh has never ever really contributed enough to warrant starter minutes let alone the most minutes on the team! seeing Massingale in double figures in his first game with us is encouraging... after watching his anti-highlights tape i was a bit worried that he was going to under perform, but looks like he was as efficient as you could want, and if he can contribute around 10-15 per game then he will be well worth having. early days but some good signs, I expect hawks to be a top 4 team this yerar and I expect the same from us..

Reply #380171 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

johnson will be the best offensive big in the league this season.. without a doubt. Add a few kilos and some Defense and he looks like a top euro prospect.

Reply #380172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got nothing to do with being a preseason game. Weigh has been playing mass minutes now for 2 seasons at Adelaide and quite frankly, he isnt that good! He is a name of a guy who had potential at Perth and hasnt gone on with it. So unless Marty Clarke does some adjusting with his coaching direction, this Weigh minutes saga will be spoken about all season long. Besides that issue, the balance of the team looks good, and we have scoring options, just need to focus on defense, like every team does.

Reply #380175 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd say Weigh's excess minutes came from the absence of Petrie and Schenscher's foul trouble early. Creek can't play PF, Weigh can. Both Johnson and Schenscher finished with four fouls while Weigh had all five left.

100 minutes at PF/C:

Johnson: 41:17
Schenscher: 32:39
Vasiljevic: 10:26
---
84:22

That leaves almost 16 minutes that Weigh played at PF, unless I'm missing something or someone. He was taking minutes from Pero, who had no points or rebounds in his time.

Take 16 from Weigh's 44 and he's played under 30 minutes at his starting spot of SF in a double-OT game. Creek meanwhile is competing for minutes at SG/SF with an Olympian and a new import playing his pre-season game, plus with the starting SF.

When the Hawks lost Davidson and then Forman, why wouldn't you try to flood them with height? Can see what they were thinking even if ultimately it came down to a shot at the death.

Can't see Weigh getting many PF minutes with Petrie available. Straight into a team and town and becomes VC - shows the value seen in him.

Reply #380180 | Report this post

Hi Isaac .. did you go to see the match ? ... from watching from the side line my views is adelaide is well covered in all spots except the small forward . The team seems most dangerous to the opposition when it played Daniel and Luke up front and had 3 guards moving the ball fast No doubt adding Petrie will strengthen the team but it will not resolve the small forward issue .

Weigh worked hard but showed poor shot selection and execution plus as one of the few in the team seems to still have a very selfish approach to the game.

Reply #380182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG ppl, massive over reaction going on here. Pre-Season game, both teams missing players who will figure in main rotation, new imports, new team chemistrys.

Hawks have been THE team of the Pre-season and we lose to them by 1 in double OT AND missed a 4ft hook to win it!

Things looking very good overall.

Reply #380186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for breaking that down isaac, I really hope your right, all players at pro level in any sport need to be earning their minutes. happy to accept this as an acceptation.

Reply #380187 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Crosswell only played for 12 minutes and Creek only 14 minutes???

Massingale, apart from getting 4 fouls, got 11 points and 4 rebounds in 17 minutes. The ironic thing is, he may have just as much an impact and be just as successful as most of our previous guard imports.

Reply #380188 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Seems like a decent first game against quality opposition.
But the biggest worry is getting smashed on the rebounds!!!!
Sure Petrie was not playing but Luke and DJ need to dominate this area, one of them must have had a huge mismatch in height.
No excuse for this team not to out rebound the opposition EVERY game.

It will be interesting to see how many mins Creek gets going forward.
If he gets less then 20mins I don't think he will be here next season.
Too many other teams will offer him more time, especially if new teams are added next year.

Reply #380191 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

From what I saw here , Weigh holds it a bit too long
then jacks up a shot . Clarke , with the stitches
still mending , neath a heart-shaped tattoo
proposed to Weigh and he accepted.

Reply #380192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just having a height advantage doesn't mean we should win the rebound count. If that was the case Manute Bol should have averaged 25rpg...

Reply #380193 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

More of the Clarke -- Weigh shit this guy is going to be the anchor holding this team back and why even though will have better season. Numbers are down and will be down. I am only one with season ticket of 8 with 4 being with since move to Findon as did not think we would have to put up with his shite coaching again.

Reply #380194 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

wow
we lost a game in double OT on the buzzer and the knives are out again

CALM DOWN PEOPLE

Reply #380196 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

bretts, you joyful bundle of enthusiasm and optimism, it's pre-season! Don't go too hard too early when you have all regular season to complain! ;)

KET, Gibson is one of the top dogs. Means Massingale and Creek are going to struggle to get minutes at SG. Crosswell potentially too if Cadee is being pushed through. Hopefully Creek takes some SF minutes.

DWG, just going by the stats. Personally would prefer to see Creek play more minutes, but looking for reasons why he might not have.

Petrie is a bigger loss than Coenraad and Demos combined, I think. But Deleon seemed average and Hurdle shot very poorly. Are the Hawks that good? Bit cautious to believe as much.

Despite the Weigh defense, I do wonder if he's used as a crutch by the coaches. They look down the bench for a sub and think "He's reliable and knows the system." In he goes over the young gun or the newb import.

Reply #380198 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That's right . Clarke here wanting to draw up a play : " Who wants to inbound it ? " Nobody answered
Weigh : ' Alright then I'll do it . '

Reply #380205 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Only pre-season but losing overtime against a Hawks team with Jackson at the 4 and Grueber at the 5 v
DJ and Luke not good. Keep in mind winning is secondry
in this tournament.

Reply #380207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching the game last night. I agree with the negative comments on here about Weigh. He is a 15 - 20min max player. Everyone else showed promising signs. Thought Massingale was good in limited minutes, hopefully he sees more in the next 2 games and gets some confidence/more comfortable so we can see what he can do. Gibbo, Schensh & Johnson all look solid. 36ers have put together a good team.. The coaches just need to play people who deserve it and who perform- not their favourites!

Reply #380218 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

So Isaac now we have a good squad of players then Clarke is going to be a good coach .
Were you not there last year when over use of Weigh along with many other weird decisions by Clarke lost us games that we could not lose.
Even now yes a practice match let Hawks get close to us with their team with Gruber dominating . Only got a gig with them as they had no money as was on scrap heap of ex NBL players. Even lost OT with best player Oscar on bench .
Wins will hopefully get supporters back but there is a lot that are going to need some convincing that even though got a star team and well done SOS for that he will still stuff it up .

Reply #380255 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754