Chuck Norris
Years ago

Who will be the team to beat this season

What 2 teams are you looking forward to seeing play eachother?? & who do you think will be the team to beat.

I look forward to seeing Sixers v Wildcats

The team to beat this season is the Sixers. Marty has done an awesome job assembling this team

Topic #29426 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Team's to beat are NZ and Perth.

Reply #380765 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Team to beat is Perth, IMO. Vulnerable if Knight gets injured but will be tough otherwise.

Reply #380767 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Perth

Reply #380770 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

I am optimistically going with Adelaide too.
Perth will be vulnerable if Knight goes down which you could almost bet on.
NZ will be around the mark but questions about Hudson replacing Wilkinson and Abercrombie being hurt will see them off to a slow start IMO

Reply #380772 | Report this post

ant  
Years ago

Adelaide Blaze Boomers should be the favourites towin it if they can gel quickly. Such a star studded team that they have a good back-up for every position.

Reply #380774 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

An injury free Perth will be difficult to beat, but I think Sixers can be a threat if Marty gets his rotations right and doesn't leave "Stevie" on when he is playing terrible.

Reply #380779 | Report this post

ox  
Years ago

depends on who drops the games they shouldnt.

Last year it was the wildcats that lost a couple of games they should have won, effectively costing them game 3 home court and the season.

Wildcats are prone to doing this, adelaide may find similar problems gelling with a new lineup. I think NZ strength is consistency.

Reply #380788 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Absolutely love the squad the 36ers have put together. We have all the tools to win it and will be exciting to watch. Perth and NZ will be up there too.Tipping 36ers vs NZ GF.

Reply #380789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide will be better than they have been for years, but expect this weigh playing too many minutes issue to become not only distraction but also a hinderance. Same old war horses to beat, Perth and NZ, Wollongong is my sleeper for taking the major scalps though.

Reply #380791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth still have an import spot left, if sumthin happens 2 any 1. Perth and nz are have showed there class already, know we will see who can catch them.

Reply #380793 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's looking very even, but for mine Perth and NZ are the teams to beat until someone proves otherwise.

Reply #380803 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Perth and NZ will be there. pressure on the 36ers, if they fail to be there with NZ and Perth with their lineup. I dont see the crocs or taipans doing much, neither hawks or kings. tigers look better but still not in the league of NZ, Perth and hopefully 36ers.

Reply #380806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with the 36ers which Boti highlighted is they still cant defend anyone. Petrie might help this but until they show they can play both end of the court the only way they will beat teams is to outscore them. DJ could challenge for MVP this season. Perth the team to beat in my opinion. NZ lacking firepower this year.

Reply #380819 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

NZ still ahead of Perth. Cairns and Adelaide both had the wood on Perth last season, and both are better teams this year (not sure how much relevance there is in that, but it's worth noting at least).

Perth always look better at the start of the season, they are a pretty young team with a defensive identity and continuity so they come out firing.

NZ has more veterans, they will pace themselves.

Needless to say, they are both the teams to beat, as you will likely have to beat one or the other to get to the GF if they finish 1-2 as expected.

Reply #380827 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie and Vukona both came through a full physical contact training session fine yesterday so Abercrombie may make the Breakers Vs Wildcats game.

Reply #380829 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Taipans anyone?

Sure they will have to prove themselves, but if they are winning, how long will it take people to call them a championship team?

Reply #380832 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I'll call them a Championship team when they win the Championship.

Reply #380835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit too early to call Adelaide the real deal, but on paper they probably have the biggest upside. I don't agree about them not being able to defend. I think its just up front they struggle. Petrie should help that.

Reply #380837 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

What Skip said...

Reply #380854 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Woolongong and Perth! No one thinks that Woolongong will win but I think they have a good chance.

Reply #380859 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

...the only way they will beat teams is to outscore them.
Hah!

Reply #380860 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

NZ might be vulnerable with WIlkinson gone, but might as difficult to beat as it is removing a senator facing criminal charges.

Corletto: Handy on any roster
Jackson: Say no more
Abercrombie: The player we hope Creek will be
Vukono: Imports of cement dropped when he left Fiji, mum gave him spoons of the stuff each day. No harder player in the league.
Bruton: Probably the oldest dude playing, but his experience counts
Hudson: Wilkinson's replacement. Has broad shoulders.

Pledger: 215 cm, but I am told he can lift heavy things

Reply #380865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac I know it sounded dumb "the only way they will beat teams is to outscore them" but i meant it the context of having to score a hundred each game. Abercrombie is still struggling with last seasons championship ankle injury. regardless of a session yesterday he is going to take some time. The loss of Wilkinsons scoring i think will hurt and as stated in a previous post Bruton has been in a good paddock. I for one do not expect them to be anywhere near the team they were.

Reply #380866 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

@anon still cant defend anyone? they are 7-1 in the preseason, that 1 loss being in double OT with a shot to win on the buzzer.
i dont care if they give up 140 a game as long as they score 141

Reply #380867 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Petrie is a decent defender ands two-way player but I expect Clarke to keep his court time to an absolute minimum and make every game as hard as possible for the Sixers to win this year, as is his custom when dealing with effective, efficient players...

Weigh and Johnson will both play way more than they should all season long.

Reply #380868 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

On the bench , some good players watching Weigh play the most minutes.
You find out now , you're gonna have to get used to it

Reply #380870 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie will have a mental barrier to overcome no doubt but he is surrounded by a great core of experienced players who have all, been there, done that.
Cory Webster>BJ Anthony
Gary Wilkinson>Will Hudson

except Hudson is coming off the bench for Pledger who I believe deserves the opportunity where Wilkinson started and was expected to put up points. Hudson is expected to inject energy, run the court, drag down rebounds and defend. Breakers have Bruton, Corletto, Webster, Abercrombie and to a lesser degree Leon Henry capable of knocking down the outside shot, happy for Hudson to crash the boards.
Cedric Jackson is still one of the best players in the league and won't have the ankle niggle (hopefully)

I feel confident in the personal with their chances of a 3peat, won't be a walk in the park by any stretch! Perth will still be tough as hell, Adelaide have assembled their best team in years, Hawks will be better, Cairns and Townsville won't lay down for anyone and I'm sure Melbourne and Sydney will steal a few wins if not shown respect. Chemistry, consistency and depth (although some of that depth could be negated by injuries to older players) will hopefully get them over the line.

Either way I think this season will be exciting and we will see some great games played out, really looking forward to seeing how the Sixers are going to go.

Reply #380871 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Breakers and Wildcats still lead the pack but both have question marks:

- Can Pledger and Abercrombie do enough to cover the big loss of Wilkinson?
- Can Matt Knight stay healthy and does Redhage still have another dominant season in him?

On paper the Sixers are right there with the top two, but I think the jury is still out on the coach (Weigh's big pre-season minutes not a good signal) so I'll leave them a notch below.

The Hawks are looking solid again and could also sneak into the top four, primarily due to Cairns and Townsville taking a step backwards in the off-season.

Sydney an outside chance to make the top 4 if their imports are good, but could struggle with a lack of frontcourt size.

Melbourne: stone cold last unless a couple of their young Aussies like Walker, Rush or Goulding suddenly find it within themselves to become star players!

Reply #380877 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

What is Marty's deal with Weigh? He continues to reward him with huge minutes without the relative or proportionate return.

Reply #380881 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He likes to play 5 'because it ia a good spot . There are so few good 5 players around these days .'

Reply #380898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm going with the Taipans. Underestimate them as much as you like.

Reply #380924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a Marty fan, but I think without peach Weigh was covering the back up 4 and 5 spots as well as the 3
Could be a reasonable reason why his minutes were up

Reply #380957 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I get that it isn't the be all, but the ranking in the Dream Team is indicative as a minimum. Interesting to note that Weigh is only worth $104k and when you consider the minutes he gets, something about efficiency doesn't add up!

Reply #381040 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Creek the better 3 , now ..take minutes off Schensch and DJ to keep him at the most minutes , that's the main thing.

Reply #381062 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

lol @ the dudes that thought Adelaide were the team to beat

Reply #386801 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

haha

Reply #386803 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:15 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754