Anonymous
Years ago

NH: AFL GF Hawthorn vs Sydney

Well tomorrow is the biggest game of the year, with the two best sides all year clashing on the last Saturday in September.

Last time these teams met it was a thriller with the Hawks taking the honors by 7 points.

Probably the hardest GF to pick in recent years, no clear favourites except the bookies are liking the Hawks at this stage.

With wild weather looming, it could be a hard fought slog, favouring the Swans but with game winners in Buddy and Cyril anything could happen.

A few interesting side stories in this GFK
-Kennedy playing his old side (where he has very stong family ties)
-The two coaches Clarkson and Longmuire being close friends, ex teammates and ex housemates
-Mike Pyke the Canadian ex Union star playing a key role for Sydney
-Possibly the two most exciting small forwards in the game in Rioli and Jetta facing off.

Hoping for a cracker game, tipping Hawks by 15 with Rioli taking home the Norm.

Topic #29437 | Report this topic

Years ago

sydney have delivered some ball tearer close GFs mid 2000s - it will be close.

Reply #381170 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

I'm tipping Hawks as well simply because of the ground size (SCG vs MCG) - it makes a difference. I wouldn't say Cyril because he doesn't rack up enough possessions. Hard to go past followers like Mitchell and Sewell, but if the ball gets down there enough, a defender like Gibson maybe. I don't think it will be a high scoring game, so the forwards won't poll much.

Reply #381171 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

This will be a crackerjack, but I am leaning towards Sydeney.

The weather might play a part, but Hawks like that freeflowing game. Get the ball into the offensive 50 quickly and give Buddy an opportunity to mark it, or else the crumbs go to an extra player because there's two on one with Buddy.

Sydney are a bit more defensive and just a bit tougher. After all, "cockroaches" are harder by nature than those "bluegums". A grand final tends to favour a defensive team, Plenty of noise which makes the offensive panic a bit. There should be a few good hits in the first half and then they start thing about what's coming....

We all saw last week what happened when the pressure was applied to Buddy and the Hawks. Buddy is a confidence player and started missing shots he usually gets. He started getting frustrated. Sydney might be well advised to give away a couple of hard nose frees to Buddy early to rattle his cage.

Sam Mitchell is the key for Hawthorn. I'ld like to see Kieran Jack tag him senseless. I'ld love to see a hip on shoulder on Mitchell a la Brereton 1989.

The umpires worry me and I hope the standard is fair. When you're watching the game, keep an eye out for my "two bounce rule". The AFL never have more than three bounces or break downs in play in a row (must be a TV thing). The umpires will have 2 bounces and then if the ball is held up, they always award a free kick to the defensive team to get the ball cleared out. "over the shoulder", "in the back" .

Sydney by about 14 points. Goodes or Jack for the Norm Smith.

Reply #381173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont agree with trying to be physical with Franklin as showed with Tarrant, he finished with 4 goals and 18 disposals in a comprehensive win.

I think the space will worry Sydney. In the last game they got out to a massive lead at the SCG and the couldnt maintain it even though the Swans clogged the shit out of the small ground.

The weather will play a part but no one runs the ball like the hawks. The Swans dont have a dominant Big Forward to isolate the Shoe so I find it hard to see how they are going to kick a winning score. The fact that the Swans have only played 1 game at the G this year losing to Richmond gives me some thought's that at the G in front of 100,000 people might do their heads in.

Just because its at the G Hawks by 26 points. Jordan Lewis Norm Smith

Reply #381174 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Geez this one is harder to pick than a broken nose!

I'm picking Sydney by 8 and Kennedy for the Norm Smith.

Reply #381175 | Report this post

Xztatik  
Years ago

On my way to Melbourne as we speak! As a crows supporter it's hard to get too excited after last week but it should be a cracker. Like jack said I hope the umps give sydney a chance but I think the hawks will have it anyway.Hodge or Lewis for the Norm.

Reply #381186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's going to be a cracker of a game and it will be a draw and Kennedy will win the norm

Reply #381188 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Gold DB5

Reply #381193 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Sydney seemed to look a little fresher than the Hawks last week and they had the extra day recovery. If it is raining and hale tomorrow I'd say it tips it more in Sydneys favour.

Big Pkye may be a late omission given the conditions but I hope not.

I'd say it will be a low scoring game with Sydeny the best defensive team in the comp to shut the game down and grind it out for the W.

Reply #381196 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Doubt Lewis will get the Norm Smith if he is matched up with Dan Hannebery

Reply #381197 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Why is it that the TAB won't allow an 'all-up' bet on GF?
I wanted to bet on GF winner, all-up on Norm Smith Medallist, but it won't allow.
Same as 1st goalkicker all-up winner or Norm Smith Medal winner.
Would love to see Ted Richards keep Buddy to 5 kicks and no goals, then pick up the medal at 50/1.
Also took Keiran Jack as a back-up
At least Collingwood are not playing, so support for both teams would be 'more even'

Reply #381209 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

It is certainly going to be a cracker of a game!
I am taking the Hawks in a tight feeling game, but an overall win of about 20+ points

Norm Smith: Brad Sewell
Most Goals: Luke Breust
First Goal Scorer: Jordan Lewis

Reply #381210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks by 22. Mitchell for Norm Smith and first goal Gunston.

Reply #381223 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Late word is that Mumford is out and Jude Bolton is playing with an ACL and PCL tear in his knee and is just going to play until it goes. I think the subs will play a crucial part in this one. Coming on late in a Grand Final and having to match the intensity is going to be really tough but if they can use their fresh legs to stamp their influence on the game it could play a pivotal role. Should be an absolute cracker.

Hawthorn to win by 7

Luke Breust to kick the first goal

Luke Hodge for the Norm Smith.

Reply #381270 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Sydney won by 10 points
Norm Smith : Ryan O'Keefe

Reply #381285 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

CHOKE CHOKE CHOKE reminded me of Kobe choking in the playoffs

Reply #381286 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Great to see Sydney win!

Reply #381288 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Glad to see a Sydney win. Hawthorn had their chances, but a great result after a great game.

Reply #381289 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Great game by both teams. Happy to see Sydney get the win though. Geez thought the penalties really favoured Hawthorn though. Good to see Syndey didn't let it rattle them.

Reply #381291 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:21 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754