Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers looking good

Over the last few seasons my dreams have been shattered like a plate at a Greek wedding. The Sixers have snatched losses from the jaws of victory and at times would have had trouble beating the Saddle Club in a pillow fight. With game 1 a few days away and with Perth and NZ the clear bookies favourite, have the Sixers got the stones this year to win the flag?

Let's look at the team
Luke Schenscher (10): C 216 cm, 120 kg.
Who wouldn't want a seven foot former NBA player in their team? He makes things happen and is a definite team player opening up opportunities for teammates. If he's not rebounding, he's tying down players. Better make sure his FT% is high, he'll be getting lots of opportunities. Pencil in some kind of award come MVP night.

Daniel Johnson (21): C 212, 108.
Reigning Club MVP. While most men his height are a little slow and awkward, DJ is as nimble and flexible as a Russian ballet dancer, but as deadly as a KGB assassin. Made most of his opponents look bad last season, should do the same this season. Going back to back MVP won’t be easy with a lot of talent in the team.

Pero Vasiljevic (45): F/C 209, 115
Will be the last man on in most games, but will play with passion and will be the crowd favourite. Skip needs a theme song for him, "Ice, Ice Baby" for the Iceman?

Anthony Petrie (17): F 203, 100
The signing that has got me excited. Sixers teams have been as soft as icecream on Glenelg beach in recent times. He will provide the much needed grunt that has been missing from the team. He's the player most like to beat Bear Grylls in a sculling competition. Hails from the same town as Peter Allen, so could also be handy on Karaoke nights with a pair of maracas.

Steven Weigh (3): F 198, 105
There’s no doubt Marty will give him plenty of opportunity to prove he is a worthy player. He needs to reciprocate that. Could he please find an excuse to take his singlet off during gamenight to make the middle aged women scream? This is his season to shine.

Mitch Creek (23): F 195
One of my favourite players. An athletic, versatile, flamboyant performer who can quickly swing the game. Non basketball fans should know his name at season end 'cos he’s going to feature in a lot of Channel 9 news highlight reels.

CJ Massingale (7): G 191, 95
Marty describes him as a Winner and someone who knows how to win, that’s what Sixers fans want.

Nathan Crosswell (24): G 190
Felt sorry for Crossy last season. In the games he played last season he had a huge impact and I hope an injury free season will see him have the season he deserves. He brings experience and cunning to the team.

Adam Gibson (1): G 188, 93
The 36ers only Olympian, and it sounds like he held his end up in London. As co-captain, he will be responsible for maintaining the high standards expected. He will bring a toughness to the side.

Jason Cadee (4): G 186, 73
Marty describes him as Slippery, but in a good way. I expect he’ll be one of those players you don’t really know how good a game he had until the final siren. Should be a hit with the teenage girl fans.

So overall, I think people would agree the team looks good on paper and ticks a lot of the boxes needed to get a flag. Rebounding, Shooting, Ball Handling, Defence, Athleticism, Cunning. It's all there. The key to this obviously is Marty. It would be hard to see how the team could squeeze in someone like Ballinger.

I think this team could go all the way.

Topic #29491 | Report this topic

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Absolutely Agree, a great read Jack!

Bring On Sunday Ay????

Reply #381862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Marty! Fingers crossed we stay healthy. Massive turn around in 3 years. All the best players and coaches.

Reply #381900 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

Good Article or post ,I have followed the 36ers for over 20 years and agree they have a good chance to at least make the grand final .

Reply #382029 | Report this post

Soccer player  
Years ago

Great analysis on the players.

Reply #382223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:32 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754