36reasons.net
Years ago

Steve Weigh's game against the Tigers

Weigh has copped a lot of criticism on the boards over the last 12mths....surely that performance earned some praise.

He basically camped at the base/45 3pt line and took dead open 3's. Played very much within himself and didn't force anything. Perfect compliment to the rest of the team. I've got a lot more confidence in our team if he's willing to play that role and can keep hitting the 3 at a decent clip.

Topic #29533 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah he had one very good game against a really bad team. He and for that sake the entire team need to lift when they are on the road in tight games when the opposition wont just die like the Tigers did. When Stevie is going 8 for 12 against the Taipans Breakers and 'Cats ill throw some massive credit his way. Sadly we have seen 2 very ordinary seasons from him so far and 1 good game wont totally reverse the old memories 6er fans have. Fingers crossed he is going in the right direction though.

Reply #382484 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Shot the ball well Sunday. Hope it continues.

I think a lot of the ire was with respect to the minutes he was getting in the past two seasons.

Reply #382486 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

People seem to forget (or maybe didn't know) Stevie was injured (and still played) for a good portion of last season.

You WILL see a different Steven Weigh this season, i can guarantee it...

Reply #382487 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

36 reasons, not much mention of his defensive efforts. Also, no turnovers from memory. Played a huge part in that win.

Reply #382493 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Started poorly , I thought here we go agen .
Sat down on came Creek and Petrie we got the next 9 points. Petrie like some kinda supa player 13 points in 13mins . Later gor ejected , from there it was Weigh . Petrie kinda the favorite of mine . While Weigh is Clarke's favorite. Sorta thought Gibson was our best then Johnson and my favorite only played 13mins.

Reply #382501 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

If I remember correctly by having him on my fantasy team last season, he had a handful of good games last season too.

He had more games where he wasnt "on" but still kept shooting. Hopefully with a more complete team he can find his role and stick to it abit more this season.

Reply #382504 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

He basically camped at the base/45 3pt line and took dead open 3's. Played very much within himself and didn't force anything. Perfect compliment to the rest of the team. I've got a lot more confidence in our team if he's willing to play that role and can keep hitting the 3 at a decent clip.

Quoted for emphasis. Completely agree his game showed the smart talented side in him that has been often spoiled in the past by general foolishness and impatience.

Reply #382507 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

being from Brisbane i dont see alot of Weigh, but the games i have seen him play for both Perth and Adelaide i havent liked. once again i could be wrong as i dont see alot but what i did see is a guy who shoots alot and at a low clip. some bad shots, hurried shots, low % shots. he looks like he has a great body for BBall, shooting style actually looks good, looks like he can play D, is he athletic? am i wrong about what ive seen?

Reply #382515 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Stephen has only been with the Sixers since May 2011 so when people refer to the "last 2 years" are you including his previous stint with Perth?

I recall his final season with Perth as being solid without being spectacular...would you call that a fair assessment all you Perth fans out there?

Furthermore he came into a Sixers team lacking strong, established, on-court leaders so I suspect he probably felt compelled to be the "man" intially in Ballinger's absence, especially given his pre-season performances and hype.

Don't get me wrong, he was given favourable minutes by the coach and his performances probably didn't reflect the reward but that was only one of many aspects of last season that made me grumpy.

One season on and he has more support around him and, based on Sunday's observations, less pressure. It's also unlikely he'll become "the man" but I think that suits him just fine.

Reply #382517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hang on last season was his first with Adelaide! It seemed like a much longer frustrating stint than that.

Reply #382521 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I read it as 1 season and 1 preseason , here
he loped around with a crook foot playing the most minutes and resting during the week , last season
played the most minutes this preseason
hadda good game here on sunday
wouldnt mind seeing him camp like that agen with the line up of this team , would be ideal.

Reply #382523 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

Fair point Isaac, I'd say the overall team D was really good (obviously, Melbourne scored 61pts) though and that he certainly didn't get torched by anyone. He was just night and day to some of those games last year where he put up 14-18 shots, with many of them being force/ill-advised. Yes, it is one game but he's clearly been told to leave the key area to DJ and Schensch and to stretch the D by playing so deep. When he and the guards are hitting from deep, good luck to teams who leave DJ and Schenchs open inside.

Reply #382530 | Report this post

jacob  
Years ago

As a perth fan, I thought stevie was a huge loss, because he did exactly what he did for us, what he did for you on sunday, but on a much more consistent basis. Shoots the 3 ball exceptionally well, and can play above his size when he has too.

rebounds well and has the potential to be a good defender with his size and underrated athleticism.

People on this forum have been whacking him for a long time, but its also the same forum that when he played for perth i saw his name coming up in potential boomers squads. The guy can play but as we all know had a very average last 2 seasons.

Whether that was how he was coached, injuries or the over confidence placed in him by marty. At perth I think he understood that we was not the 1st 2nd or 3rd option on offence and played within his role, didnt force anything and was solid.

The past 2 years at adelaide, talent wise he probably had the mindset that he was that 1st or second option and judging by the minutes maybe felt obliged to be more aggressive in looking to score (which is not his game.. yet ). So this season in a more talented team he slots back into that 3rd or 4th option and should have a really solid year.

One more thing, I think a lot of the 'hate'for stephen weigh is more to do with people wanting to see more of Mitch Creek. Dont get me wrong the kid will be a gun but I think its 1/2 years away. Marty knows (hopefuly) how to manage young guys and is just easing him into the league. besides he showed on sunday that they can both play considerable minutes and have an impact. Its an 8 team comp ..with 40 minute games... 80 players, therefore losts of players wont get the courtime they deserve, and what they would get elsewhere if it was a larger comp. Eg. Creek,Bruce,Petrie,robbins etc..

Rant over

Reply #382549 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems it was his best 36ers game and his least 36ers minutes.
Good to hear Clarke speak highly of Creek and Petrie just then on radio

Reply #382551 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Weigh has a slight technical issue with his stopping re balance, not uncommon with big guys

he has always been a great stationary catch and shoot guy, but last season i was always holding my breath whenever he tried to shoot or pass on the move.

The other important adjustment he made Sunday was he did not try and dribble the ball on the break. Number of times last season he threw a cross court out of court pass as he picked up his dribble on the break....

easy fix, we now have a battery of active guards who want to carry the ball on the break

Reply #382569 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

bout time

Reply #382726 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:29 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754