SRT070
Years ago

Sixers vs Breakers pre-game thread

In all honesty, what are peoples thoughts and predictions on the upcoming game? do the sixers stand a realistic chance considering how easily perth steam rolled the breakers at home, or is that the wake up call the breakers needed to get there campaign on track?

Personally i think this is the first chance in a while the sixers will stand a really good chance to upset the reigning champions. we have the team and skills to pull it off. Can the sixers turn around their woeful road record?

Topic #29543 | Report this topic

Hurls  
Years ago

yes they can, one thing was proven last week by perth.. is that the Breakers desperately miss Tin Tin. lol. Knight single handedly emulcified there interior, I would hate to think what Petrie, Johnson and Shensher could potentially do. Its a game we CAN win.. and I dont think we will be blown out of the water by more then 10 if 2we dont. Im guessing 6ers bby 4

Reply #382590 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

Its going to be a close game but I think we match up pretty good against NZ & even Perth.

This season is up for grabs

Come on Sixers

Reply #382592 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Perth v NZ game was played at a much higher pace than Adelaide v Melbourne, so the 36ers are going to have to step up a notch.

NZ losing by so much is a bad thing because they will be pissed off, but this is a very talented Adelaide team. I think NZ by 4 or 5.

Reply #382593 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Breakers shot the ball poorly, won't happen twice and they will win comfortably!

Reply #382598 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Sorry guys but I dont think Breakers will drop 'their first two home games.. NZ by 6

Reply #382599 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

4-6 point spread NZ's way. Lemanis would have given them a serve and I expect them to bounce back with a home victory.

Reply #382601 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah NZ doesn't drop two home games in a row

Reply #382614 | Report this post

cousin it  
Years ago

I think Adelaide has the tools to knock off NZ but the team is too new, NZ like Perth have a group that have been stable for some years, that is their real strength.
I agree NZ will not accept two home losses in a row.
NZ by 4 to 8 points on this one, but as the season goes on and Adelaide settles as a team, more than capable of upseting NZ.
I also think people forget that Adelaide have the capability of binging in 1 to 2 imports part way through the season, great position to be in

Reply #382617 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

In the first game it looked like they missed Gary Wilkinson's motivational ability, fight and fire. Being on an effortless cruise control is NZ's thing, but Wilkinson could usually snap them out of it and G everyone up to get them over the edge.

Pledger, his successor, not grabbing a single rebound didn't help.

Will they miss Wilkinson's mouth as much as his game?

Reply #382618 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

The Breakers struggled against Perth's zone last week. A lot will depend on how they adjust as I expect the 36ers will try zone early on. Without Wilkinson the Breakers can now have three non/poor outside shooters on the court at once (Jackson, Vukona/Boucher,Pledger/Hudson)and that makes a huge difference to last year when there were only two at worst most of the time.
Looking forward to the game to get a handle on the 36ers form because I doubt you can find out anything from a win at home against a depleted and poorly coached Tigers lineup.
Another factor to consider is that the three big scorers against the Tigers will be defended by Jackson,Abercrombie and Vukona for much of the game this week. Big difference from Braswell,Rush and Scott/Walker last game. On that alone I tip the Breakers in a close one.
I also think the game could be a cracker.Can't wait.Thanks NBL TV

Reply #382621 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Breakers by 10 for me.

Reply #382622 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think the Sixers actually match up pretty well against the Breakers. Below is a look at possible match ups;

Jackson V Gibson
Corletto V Cadee
Bruton V Massingale/Crosswell
Abercrombie V Weigh
Boucher V Creek
Vukona V Johnson
Hudson V Petrie
Pledger V Schensch

Both teams are stronger in certain positions and break even in others so based on this I think it will come down to the day, chemistry, coaching and who just simply plays well.

Can Gibbo restrict Jackson?

Can Massingale be the better CJ on the night?

Can Weigh be a threat from outside and keep Abercrombie away from the defensive glass?

Can Creek expose Boucher with his quickness and athleticism?

Will Johnson and Schensch have the Breakers front court in foul trouble?

Will Schensch turn around his woeful offensive output and give the Sixers another threat?

Alot of tangibles to consider?! The Breakers miss Wilkinson more than I think they thought they would however, as this game is in NZ (if the game was in Adelaide it might be a different story) and their chemistry is likely more advanced than ours I think they will just get over the line. I expect the Sixers to put in a good show though and only go down by single digits.

Reply #382628 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers got smashed on the glass and any other effort related catagory and then shot the ball poorly.
Perths defense > Adelaides defense.

I heard the same stuff when Penney left.

Reply #382634 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

NZ by 10.

Reply #382644 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Adelaide can get this.

Reply #382648 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Will the game be televised like all the Kiwi home games were last year?

Reply #382651 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Sixers can finally outscore this Breakers squad, but can they get it together on D that will be the key.

Sixers by 6+ for me.

Reply #382654 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Great to hear some very sensible debate on a very interesting game. Lots of unknowns. Cuzz, sixers capped out, no room for imports unless key players injured.

Reply #382656 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Sixers in OT.

Reply #382657 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Sixers have not won in Auckland for a while now and records are meant to be broken.

They have the best chance for a while to beat the Breakers at home and a win would be a season defining win if they can pull it off. Can they pull it off?

Rebounding: Schensch and Johnson should win this area. Looking forward to the Vukona-Petrie matchup. Would you throw Pero onto Vukona to draw 5 fouls out of him to get him out the game?
Shooting: If Weigh stayed hot, but he will be closely guarded this game - no "Clarkey's Paddock" or "Radford's Ranch" this round.
Ball Handling: Jackson should own the court, so this is the area of weakness.
Defence: Everyone says NZ, but Sixers are just as good.
Open Court: Abercrombie and Creek - oh, I can hear Bruce McAvaney salivating. Special.
Coaching: Err...

The other things the Sixers need to watch:
* Abercrombie alley-oop - you know it's coming!
* Pick and Roll - Sixers get beaten everytime

Mmmmm...... If things go right, Sixers could get it, if the Breakers come out swinging, then plenty of happy fans. I think the Sixers will go down by the narrowest of margins.

Reply #382658 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The Sixers will need to keep showing that they can create a winning culture before I will tip them on the road to the Champs.

Would love to see an upset though.

Reply #382659 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Mystro, the Breakers were able to replace Penney with a like for like player in Corletto. Whilst Corletto is no where near the player Penney is he is more than capable from range and was able to slot into a similar role to that played by Penney which didnt disrupt their offence or chemistry all that much.

Wilkinson is a different dynamic and they havent replaced him with a like for like player. This changes NZ's offense and defense a little bit.

Previously the Sixers have had trouble defending Wilkinson and he has often been the catalyst to break our backs. Now he's gone, who is filling his role?

Whilst the Sixers front court defense isnt great with Schensch and DJ you dont really have that offensive threat like Wilkinson for them to contain. Additionally, Jackson will find it alot harder to drive and dish...firstly he has to contend with getting past Gibbo and then he runs into the length of Schensch and/or DJ.....and he has 1 less player to kick the ball out to on the perimeter.

The Breakers are still a good team but they arent as good as previous seasons.

Reply #382660 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

I think the sixers can win this game but I don't think they will.

Reply #382661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36'ers have'nt proven nuthin yet! Other than dj. Every other player is'nt consistant. Weigh even gibbo, breakers have proven who they are! They mis wilko, they replaced him for penny, this yr they havn't, if ure counting on a 37yr old to get the job done u will be introuble.

Reply #382662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the game going to be shown on TV?

Reply #382669 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

As I mentioned in another thread.......a win here will surely result in a good crowd the following week against Cairns. Imagine winning that and being three - zip to start the season!! When was the last time that happened?

Reply #382670 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Could go either way IMO.

Personally, I think the Breakers are struggling to find their identity.

Last year this was a team that killed teams from the outside in terms of 3-point shooting. Even the 5 man GK was doing work from the perimeter.

But with Hudson in the mix and Pledger seeing more minutes, I think this team is having trouble getting the inside-outside balance right.

Offensively, they have been poor all pre-season and weren't clicking vs. Perth.

Reply #382671 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yeah shooting has been fairly woeful in the pre season and they followed it up by throwing Bricks all night at the NSEC.
Didn't see Gibson trouble Jackson much last season Tornado.

Reply #382672 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The big challenge for Lemanis is to get rhythm medium range shots for Pledger and Vukona, who have both shown they can shoot internationally but dont get the same predictable shots in the NBL.

If those guys are making 15-footers it will alleviate some of the congestion they will face otherwise.

Reply #382676 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I agree with Tornado that it was generally Wilkinsons mobility and ranged shooting that killed the Sixers in the past. Having said that, the Breakers now have Hudson instead and after last week I think he and Pledger are going to hit the offensive glass hard. I think a key to victory for the Sixers will be if DJ and Luke can hold their own on the boards.

Don't know if the Sixers will be clever enough to make it happen, but I'd like to see them try to force Pledger to guard DJ as I think DJ will be far too quick. I don't like the DJ-Vukona match up as much because Vukona has too much body strength and will be able to make life difficult.

Abercrombie worries me as he is too quick for Weigh and Creek is not experienced enough yet.

Gibson should hold his own v Jackson but the Breakers backcourt has a lot of savvy vets so I think they have an advantage.

So while I think the Sixers have better chance of winning than they have in awhile, I think homecourt, savvy vets and the motivation of last weeks loss will probably see the Breakers home.

Reply #382680 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think either way it is going to be close. NZ need to limit their turnovers and hit the glass if they are to get the W.

Reply #382691 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

it definitely could go either way, Breakers havent impressed in the pre season and had there asses handed to them on a platter against perth. It can be all too easy to just assume that the team is going to play the same as it did last year and play off for the finals again, however, its a new season and so far they look highly beatable at the moment. Its going to be a single digit game, and it may just go to the 6ers... thoes saying that they wont drop 2 in a row are kind of silly, even the bulls in there prime lost games they shouldnt have. and talentwise Adelaides definitely right up there

Reply #382695 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

creek might be best option to guard abercrombie.
Breakers squad has not improved sixers have upgraded immensely.
If Breakers dont shoot lights out they will not win this game at this point of season. The key additions to sixers all bring improved D and are all at their prime -this season, as good as they have been, Breakers will be overtaken.

Reply #382696 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Abercrombie may still not be 100%, may not require any special attention.

I think this seasons Sixers match up well with the Breakers. I hope both teams play well.

Reply #382699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone else think that Gibson looked more engaged last week on both ends than all of last season with GC? Could very well of been my imagination, as I didn't see him live last year and its one game.
The whole NZ won't drop 2 in a row is nonsense! No team wants to drop 1 in a row. It has no meaning.

Reply #382706 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think youre right, he was loving being the leader and running the show again, not hoping Deleon would pass him the ball.

Reply #382707 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Just noticed Adelaide paying 3.50 to win.. I dont think they will but not that much..

Pretty good pay out for what will be a close game, would get on it if I was as confident as some of the people in here..

Reply #382712 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It's unbelievable that we could get this rich this quick . 'This is the best sixers team since '86' I heard somebody shout.

Reply #382714 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Isaac if you have a spare tenner.... might want to head to centrebet

Reply #382715 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I think an advantage that the sixers carry into this match is that they are an entirely different team compared to last season. The breakers wont be able to follow the same strategy as the last couple of seasons in this match now that we have depth.

as others have said though our team is not as well established as breaker and perth so we could see the team make more errors. i think its going to be tough but i think the sixers may pull this one off due to the element of surprise. sixers by 3

Reply #382717 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

At 3.50, I'll put some coin down on the Sixers.

TV / Foxtel coverage? Or live stream?

Tip-off will be 5pm our time I think. (NZ 2.5 hours behind Adelaide).

Reply #382721 | Report this post

cousin it  
Years ago

Great thread with great comments from all, well almost!
As a 6er fan it is just fantastic to think we finally have a real chance against a quality team.
Win or lose....this will be a great season.

If NZ have a off game, we can pinch it, if they get it together I hope we are close

Reply #382725 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti's article leading up to this game talks about the 36ers lack of luck in Breakers match-up timing. We played them after they unfurled a championship banner and got beaten. We played them after they honoured Henare's singlet and got beaten. And now we're playing them after the Wildcats pissed them off.

Perth go over there after the Breakers unfurl a championship banner. And they thump them.

If this is to be a strong year for Adelaide, this team needs to have no excuses like that. Ride out the challenges and win. We definitely have a team that can beat NZ in NZ.

Reply #382753 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Nz got thumped at home by one of the strongest teams in the comp who play the most up tempo in your face defense, not like the Tigers or Kings strolled in and thumped them lol.
I do agree that this seasons Sixers team has the best shot at knocking the Breakers off. Anything short of their best and NZ will be sitting on 2 losses for 2012-13.

Reply #382757 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Ten/ONE have rights to SKY games... wouldn't it be in ONE's best rating interests to broadcast the 36ers v NZ on ONE tonight at 9:30?

Reply #382821 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, NZ regular season games have rated poorly, generally well below what Sydney v Melbourne games get. Plus, I believe they have to broadcast two games they have covered each week.

Reply #382822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know what game is being shown on One tonight? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Reply #382824 | Report this post

cousin it  
Years ago

Kings V Tigers

Reply #382826 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I meant broadcast just in Adelaide Paul, while broadcasting the other game to the other states. I'd imagine 36ers v NZ would broadcast better than Sydney v Melbourne in South Australia.

Surely the NBL would allow ONE to do that?

Reply #382828 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah definitely, it would make sense to have as many local games shown as possible. I suspect that is where the NBL is heading with now having every game covered, the ability to sell to local broadcasters, but your idea is a good one that could be implemented now.

Reply #382834 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Looks like first row sports have it on free. Heres the link to their guide

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/basketball.html

Reply #382853 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think this will be a great game.

To win the Sixers need to play 4 good quarters and Marty to not be Marty. If we have one bad quarter we will lose. If NZ have a bad quarter they still will have a chance to win.

NZ by 6

Reply #382859 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Adelaide by 3..

Reply #382868 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:34 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754