Anonymous
Years ago

Why hasn't Tremmell Darden returned to the NBL?

Why hasnt he ever returned to nbl?

Enjoyed his time here and played well. Surely he isnt on crazy money in europe? Would like to see him lured back.

Man that dragons team was stacked:

Burston Horvath
Worthington Vukona
Smith Darden
Ingles
Gibson

Who were the backup guards? Dan Dillon 11th man also.

Topic #29544 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Years ago

Herbert and Rys Carter.

Reply #382596 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

*Rhys*

Reply #382597 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

That was one loaded dragons roster.

Reply #382602 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Darden having a very successful career in Europe and earning some nice coin. Doubt we'll see him grace our shores again.

Reply #382615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People say that Goorjan is a good coach. I mean, I could have pretty much won a championship with that roster...

Reply #382631 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm sure they all magically fit within the cap. Just like Gibson's old Brisbane team and Worthington's old Sydney Kings and Melbourne Tigers teams

Reply #382636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Past 36ers teams KET. Anon its not about winning with that team its about the team wanting to play for you.

Reply #382639 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Darden is playing for Lithuanian team Zalgiris Kaunas in the Euroleague and VTB United leagues, the two best comps in Europe this year.

That Dragons team was really good at the end of the year once Smith found his way and they hit their strides, but they werent dominant against the other good teams - 2-7 on the road against the top four, and NZ and Townsville in 3rd and 4th werent great teams by any stretch.

Gibson, Ingles and Vukona have developed a lot since then, so if you reunited that team now it would be pretty darn good.

Reply #382645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The days of NBL teams being able to afford rosters like that again are long gone.

Reply #382663 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They couldnt afford it obviously.

Reply #382667 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That Dragons roster was paying $9 for the championship before signing an import. I remember betting on them and then having to wait all season to collect!

Reply #382674 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You guys are only saying that roster is stacked because you are retroactively inserting the 2012 versions of Vukona, Ingles, and Gibson in there. They were young guys back then, playing at nowhere near the level they are playing at now.

There is no reason why you couldn't put together a roster like that now, if you rely on young local players to play key roles for "young guy" money, and spend the full cap.

Reply #382675 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Like Jackson, Wilkinson, Abercrombie, Pledger, Bruton, Boucher, Corletto and Vukona for example!

Reply #382678 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"They were young guys back then"

No. Vukona was 27.

Ingles was 22.

Gibson was 22.

Gibson had been in the league for 3-4 years, Vukona had played with Breakers for 5 years (from 2003). Ingles had played 2 previous seasons with South Dragons (06-07 and 07-08)

Sure they weren't quite as good as what they are now, but to say they were "playing at nowhere near the level they are playing at now" is getting a bit carried away.

Vukona came off bench..Hell at 27 when he was with S.Melb he was still the workhouse, lock down defender, rebound king that he is now.

Ingles had already represented the Boomers at 08 Olympics, and was a potent force in the NBL. (As a matter of fact, he was a threat as soon as he came into the damn league..29 points on debut)

Gibbo was voted All-NBL 3rd team in 2009, and 2009 Defensive NBL POY.

Reply #382685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Mick's normally a decent poster but that post of his has crack pipe written all over it.

That Dragons team was basically a current day NBL all-star team, the fact they almost lost the GF series to an aging Tigers team meant Goorj only just avoided another one of the trademark Titans flops.

Reply #382688 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As a Dragons member I can say Ingles was very inconsistent that year. He had some very good games but went missing just as often.

Gibson was in his first year running a team and did his role very well but wasnt the leader nor all-court player he is today obviously, given he's had another three years of development.

Vukona's major international experience has seen him improve quite a bit since 09. They were all good players then, but not standouts like they are now.

That Dragons team peaked at the right time, got top spot thanks to Melbourne's silly early-season Barlow experiment and Bruton's injury for NZ and then managed to hold their home court in the playoffs.

I wouldnt put them up there with Sydney's three-peat teams, Brisbane 07, Melbourne 08 or NZ 12 as the best of recent times.

Reply #382690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah a lot people predicted the Dragons to win it that year with that roster and Cortez Groves had given up on life at that point too.

Reply #382692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In recent times Brisbane's 07 team would be the only team that would challenge that Dragons team.

Are you taking the piss with the Breakers? They'd do well to get within 20 points of the '09 Dragons!

Reply #382693 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Breakers had five proven internationals last year and two gun imports! South had one gun import, one good role-playing import, one proven international and three guys on the cusp of making it.

I think the only spot that Dragons team would win in the starting five would be Ingles over Corletto. I also think Bruton, Boucher and Pledger gave as much off the bench as Burston, Smith and Carter.

I saw lots of that Dragons team and they have certainly been overrated by history. They werent much better than the 09 Breakers team which is was shadow of the 2012 version.

Reply #382697 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

I believe Darden's salary in Lituania is about $300,000 US dollars after taxes.

So that's probably why.

Reply #383087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

piss off he was a shit player and isnt getting $300,000 US at all Imbeciles.

Reply #383314 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:39 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754