David
Years ago

TMAC that's all folks

I read where Tracey Mcgrady has failed to get a NBA contract and will play in China this season. From his statement it's likely that is the last will see of him in the NBA.

I have mixed feelings about McGrady because he was a amazing talent but in some ways he didn't quite live up to what was expected of him.

At one stage he was predicted along with Kobe Bryant to be a Hall of Famer but that talk has now died down because of a couple of reasons.

1. Failure to lead a team past the first round.
2. Played on an Orlando Magic Squad that lost 19 games in a row.
3. His second half of his career drop has been dramatic because of the injuries that he is now just a shell of himself.

I love Mcgrady as a player and he was a phenomenal talent but his coach in Houston Jeff Van Gundy suggested Mcgrady lived off his talent and had no work ethic. There probably is a lot of truth in that and Mcgrady carrer might be viewed in hindsight as a case of what could of been.

Topic #29564 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

T-Mac certainly had potential when he was younger.
Back when he was compared to Kobe, T-Mac did not play defence like Kobe did. Athletically he was as good as Kobe then as they were still young and the knees were still holding up.

In recent times I've actually started wearing my Magic T-Mac singlet @ the gym.

T-Mac took a dramatic slide when the injuries occured and clearly a shell of himself.

It certainly does sound like the end from that statement, but he may still get a late call up one day to cover injuries or garbage time.

I love T-Mac, but the downhill slide is a sad roller coaster.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

Reply #382849 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

One of my favorite players when he was in his prime. Still have an Orlando McGrady Jersey that I rock from time to time. His 13 points in 35seconds Vs the Spurs was pretty memorable

Reply #382850 | Report this post

Pen15  
Years ago

I lived in Pasadena TX from 2006-2008 and caught a a lot of home games for Houston. Theres no doubting his incredible talent but you always tell from his interviews and other appearances that his attitude was very ordinary and had an air about him that kinda said that he was almost too good to train and participate in team sessions.

I remember we got access to a Rockets training session in the 2007 season I think when Mcgrady was at close to his best and the whole training session he looked disinterested and lazy.

Reply #382852 | Report this post

social player  
Years ago

Im a big Hawks fan and I thought TMac was pretty good for us last year. He can still shoot, very under rated passer and just a smart cool collected player. TMac was very good in the high post with the offence being ran through him, for some reason he just did not get heaps of court time. I personally think he still has 2 years left, but Im not the one handing out contracts.

Reply #383010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Somewhere in Phil Jackson's books it mentioned in a possible trade sccenario for Kobe Bryant involved what he called the closest thing to him in Tmac, but mentioned that everytime a coach asks him to play defense, his back hurts.
Tells you pretty much everything

Reply #383032 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:51 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754