Breakers vs 36ers game thread

Nbl.TV says 1630?
It's 1640 now and the screen says starting soon
Whats happening

Im ready to watch some Nbl

Topic #29569 | Report this topic

G Rudd  
Years ago

It's only 4.14 in Tville and mine screen says starting shortly. Should start in about 10 mins

Reply #382884 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

think about it - NBL says 7:30pm local time is game time. That's 5:00pm Adelaide time.

Reply #382885 | Report this post

think about it  
Years ago

ok but I didn't know the NZ time difference and I would have thought that if it says 1630, that would be either Adelaide time or at least EST

seems it is QLD time

Reply #382886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah haha, pretty sure it's 5pm start in Adelaide. I thought it was 4:30 too

Reply #382887 | Report this post

think about it  
Years ago

Either way, it's time to watch some ball.
First time watching live streem - the replay quality was reasonable earlier watching Cairns v Townsville

Reply #382889 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

Reply #382890 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

10 seconds into the game for me and the Stream has already died.

Pretty sub-par service thus far two weeks running.

Reply #382894 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

yup, shit gain. is on/off constantly. I have the fastest net you can get, and it isnt working properly. I want my money back

Reply #382895 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Schenscher blocked twice already. Hope we don't have to get used to this.

Stream is working perfectly for me and my office connection isn't brilliant.

Reply #382896 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

my stream starts and stops so i am clicking the 'live' arrow and that causes it to restart.

garbage that the start time is 4:30, it should read 7:30. They are using Melbourne timing clocks for everything, and it is the reason i believe they are having game replay issues.

Reply #382897 | Report this post

G Rudd  
Years ago

Pretty poor quality tonight and was freezing in the first few mins. Bit darkish too

Reply #382898 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Stop / start stream for me. Any suggestions?

Reply #382900 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Thank God for Johnson and Petrie - otherwise this would be looking very ugly.

Reply #382901 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Massingale is nervous. Been waiting so long for his NBL turn I guess.

Love Petrie.

Knew Hudson would be a problem for us - that inside, mobile, hustle, bread-and-butter big.

Reply #382902 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

It's improved for me now. It's actually streaming but I'm fairly sure that I'm about 2 minutes behind the action.

Skip, I tried the restart of the stream a few times and it didn't make all that much of a difference.

21 - 17, Breakers up at end of the 1st.

Reply #382903 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Dammit Shenscher.

Sixers need to learn how to rebound

Reply #382904 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Pre-season rebounding weakness now getting exposed again.

Reply #382905 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

*sigh*

Wild Layup from Luke.

Other note: clearly our weakness to full court pressure hasn't been patched yet.

Reply #382907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

big red wtf, get up strong !

Reply #382908 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

There you go Luke. Hustle to recover your miss and power that shit through!

Reply #382909 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Schenscher was the most blocked player in the league last season and he's at least been up there for the past few seasons. He is well overrated and his impact on the team will be even less in this team than at the Crocs. They have run nothing through him so far and with the personnel Adelaide have, I can't see Schensch doing anything but 8 points and 5 rebounds (being very generous on the boards) at about 40-45% from the field. In terms of reputation of a quality player, he has definitely coasting off making it into the NBA all those years ago.

Reply #382910 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

We are playing like crap,

and its 26 all ?!?

Reply #382911 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Gibson 0/5 from the field. Expect that to turn around at some stage

Reply #382912 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

8 Turnovers for the Breakers.

Unfortunately getting negated by the poor shooting.

Reply #382914 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Breakers are out rebounding the 36ers at the defensive end! NZ 11 OR to 36ers' 9 DR. I don;t have a feed. Is it lack of effort or getting caught out of position by NZ offence?

Reply #382915 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

PeterJohn - Combination of bad positioning and being out hustled.

Luke seems to have butterfingers at the moment. It's the perimeter shooting that's keeping us in touch right now.

Reply #382916 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Thanks Big MArty. I see Johnson, Schenscher and Gibson combined are 3/21. Ouch!

Reply #382917 | Report this post

JimmyC  
Years ago

UGLY

Reply #382918 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Someone needs to get the ball off Petrie and Johnson in the backcourt

Reply #382919 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I expect the Clarke bashing to return in 3.....2.....1....

Reply #382920 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Poor shooting and rebounding, Gibson needs to step up. DJ is always soft whenever he plays against NZ.

Terrible Unsportsmanlike foul on DJ. If Mika didn't cry then they wouldn't have called it.

Reply #382922 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Can't believe they called the unsportsmanlike on dj that was a joke.
Tired of the bias commentary always out of nz,
And nz have 28 boards Nd we have 14
Cant see us getting the win

Reply #382923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second game together, on the road in NZ, played terrible but are only down 7 at the half. Don't worry just yet.

Reply #382924 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

I think at this point I'm just going to give up on the NZ based games because streaming for those is shocking.

Pledger is going to have a monster game tonight; typical number of no-calls on the Vukona/Boucher holding and screen.

Can someone tell me what happened to cradling the ball before going for a layup? So many blocks and denials at the rim because they don't go in with two hands.

DJ getting decent position, then trying to serve up the ball like a Waiter.

Reply #382925 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

We knew going into this game that there would be low shooting percentages, the NZ rims are cringeworthy and always have been. CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK

1. Schenscher is getting smashed. Don't force up shots, get those damn rebounds and don't let them slip under you!

2. NZ had a wide open three with no defenders anywhere near him, and then got the offensive rebound under the basket! Where are you Adelaide?

3. NZ are smashing Adelaide 28-18 in rebounds. I'm disgusted, we have two seven footers! 12 Offensive rebounds to NZ, that is shocking by Adelaide. Points in the paint are 22 for NZ, we're getting slaughtered!

4. Weigh is shooting well again, Johnson, Petrie our other decent players tonight

The only way to win this game is by defence and rebounds, you'll never win purely on the offensive end against NZ in NZ with those clunky rims.

Reply #382926 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

or the running CJ Bruton screen was another great one.

Either way Sixers have to play better. Weigh has to stop being scared to drive when his 3 gets cut off

Reply #382928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Outrebounding NZ 3-0 in this quarter! Everythings coming up Milhouse!

Reply #382929 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

SCHENSCHER GET OUT. This is just horrendous from him tonight

Reply #382930 | Report this post

JimmyC  
Years ago

Our bigs are soft aye.

Reply #382931 | Report this post

JimmyC  
Years ago

Petrie is the exception

Reply #382933 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The Gold Coast boys know how to defend and get us back in it

Reply #382934 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

At least Schenscher is making second efforts,
but yes
Petrie is the one who is not soft..

Reply #382935 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

What's up with Vasiljevic not getting any time?

Reply #382936 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Definitely not good enough to be on unless someone is in foul trouble or junk time.

Schenscher was on for 1 minute at the end of the 3rd quarter and still stuffed it. Petrie is on FIRE

Reply #382938 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Spursfan, perhaps for the same reason he hasn't got barely any court time over his career.

Reply #382939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New roster same old lapses.... guess the clock is still ticking on Marty! disgraceful 4th quarter effort.

Reply #382940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is all to familiar.

Reply #382941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is all to familiar.

Reply #382942 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Few things going their way - bugger. Weigh helping keep Abercrombie quiet.

Reply #382943 | Report this post

Dougys  
Years ago

Wow what a fizzer

Reply #382944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your up 1 at 3quarter time and you end up in a 16point hole, more than just a few things going one teams way.

Reply #382945 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Now that's more like it.

Reply #382946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will get better as the season goes on but the manner in which Adelaide lost this game is troublesome.

Reply #382947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The manner in which Adelaide lost this game has BEEN the consistent trend for a long long time now. Sigh....

Reply #382948 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

rebounding is still a big problem.

Reply #382949 | Report this post

hog  
Years ago

Although it's a little early in the season to be calling for Marty's head, the questions have to be asked:
How do things go so bad so quickly? How is it possible to cough up a 3/4 time lead and lose so badly?

Reply #382950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id say Massinggale is a total waste of time and space. Why bother using an import spot on a guy who plays so little.

Reply #382951 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Seriously, is it the uniform? Why does it not matter who is playing for us, they always fall apart when challenged?
To lead at 3qtr time, then go 15-2 to start the last is PATHETIC.
Great effort in the third quarter, but it counts for nothing if you can't back it up and finish it off.
New year, same old Sixers.

Massingale played 3 minutes? WTF? Injured I assume?

Reply #382953 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

I gotta ask why call a timeout when almost 5 mins is played and we've scored 2 to the breakers 14? wouldnt it have been better to call a timeout when the margin was around 6-8 points? clsrke seems to leave it so late.

its really disappointing when you fly all the way there, the team plays 3 quarters of spirited ball and u have a coach who doesnt think.

hopefully he's on the same flight as me tomorrow morning! (clarke)

Reply #382954 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

NZ too good in the last quarter. We just panicked in offense.

I can't believe we have two great ball handlers in Gibson and Cadee and we are still struggling to get it past half way.

I don't understand what we are doing with Crosswell. We have two capable ball handlers in Cadee and Gibson so if one of them are on then it makes Crosswell redundant with no offensive game. Instead CJ should be on with Gibson/Cadee run the point. We need to get CJ's confidence up. When the game was over in the 4th CJ should have been on not Crosswell

Reply #382956 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

lol @ the people that bet on Adelaide. One out of my 4 game multi complete. DJ was terrible.

Reply #382957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A very disappointing result. Not sure how you turn a 1 point 3-Qtr time lead into a 14 point loss but we always find a way.

Schensch really struggling offensively so that's on the coach to run better plays for him but we couldn't afford horrible offensive nights from DJ & Gibson too.

Pledger seemed like the only decent centre out there.

Reply #382958 | Report this post

G Rudd  
Years ago

Very poor quality in the first half, but they seem to have got their act together in the second because the quality wasn't too bad. Schencher just dished up for your team what he did for ours in the last two seasons for us. He has one good game and then he's bad. A lot of people here were glad to see him go. He either misses his hook shot, can't catch the ball under the basket, steps or fouls. When does the next game start on NBL TV does anyone know.

Reply #382959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rudd, from what I saw Schenscher was getting the ball in terrible positions way too far out now that might be to utilise his exceptional passing but I doubt it, just doesn't seem like he has much in the way of plays run for him which is odd.

Still not sure what to make of the whole CJ Massingale thing yet, just looks way out of his depth.

Reply #382960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches have just truly shown themselves to be what many already thought. Allllllll that talent and offensive weaponry and a weak boy like 4th. That NZ team is not the one that won it all last season, very beatable on any given night. Adelaide shoulve won that one.

Reply #382961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spursfan, perhaps for the same reason he hasn't got barely any court time over his career.

Pero V averaged 14 & 10 for the Razorbacks in 05/06 and 17 & 8 for the Titans in 02/03.

Reply #382962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Giants not Titans in 02/03.

Reply #382963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think its panic stations for the sixers just yet... I mean this is an entirely new team playing the back to back champions... we were rattled, thats a fact but sometimes theres just no obvious way to stem the tide when your shooting poor and there dropping shots. I think we can still look forward to play offs, and later in season we MAY beat NZ.. its just tok early to expect it right now./ MAssingale.. what I will say about him is he needws to be seen much like any australian SEABL player whos given a shot off the bench. he is there as 8 or 9th player, not to be our superstar, he needs to not be seen in the same light as imports from the D league or europe or indeed the NBA... he is from a lower ranked Aussie league and the only difference between him and an aussie player is skin color really. If you want to point fingers, point them at schensher.. I have never seen a bigger waste of space then him. 7 feet of styrofoam. I didnt think much of him for the crocs, and I think even less of him for the sixers. Utterly useless... dont talk to me about 9 rebounds, as the equal tallest man on the court if he didnt snare his share of boards he would have to be fucken lying down.

Reply #382964 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I can't believe we have two great ball handlers in Gibson and Cadee and we are still struggling to get it past half way.

I thought that as well, it's very typical 36ers to get pressed and struggle to get past it completely ruining our offences.

I don't understand what we are doing with Crosswell. We have two capable ball handlers in Cadee and Gibson so if one of them are on then it makes Crosswell redundant with no offensive game. Instead CJ should be on with Gibson/Cadee run the point.

I completely agree, Crosswell seems useless now that we have Gibson and Cadee, and I thought Massingale could have been put on more, especially with his scoring power. I feel like we're putting Crosswell on for the sake of it, we shouldn't do that for any player.

Reply #382965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed... Hes just there to say he was on the court. Massingale caught the ball maybe twice that whole game... and one of his 3's was WAY off which is understandable.. after not gettin the ball for so long he probably forgot what his shot feels like

Reply #382966 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Pero averages 5ppg and 4rpg over his career.

Reply #382967 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I remember getting rubbished for saying that Schensher is not the best Centre in the league. Good to see Hudson and Pledger have a good game after getting smashed by the Wildcats.
Isaac, I thought it was more a case of Abercrombies ankle keeping him quiet rather than Weigh, may be wrong as I didn't catch the whole game. He just looked a bit tentative when driving and didn't look like he was pushing off hard.

Reply #382969 | Report this post

Dennis  
Years ago

And I thought that was Schencher's worst game I've ever seen Luke play against Melbourne, forget about some rebounds, he fumbled and dropped lots of ball last week and lets not talk about all the misses right near the basket, looks like this (lack of) form has continued.

Reply #382973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher still had 9 boards and 2 blocks tonight but yeah didn't look good offensively.

Reply #382976 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Was Luke still wearing all that strapping on his shoulder and leg this week? I suspect that he is carrying some injuries that are affecting him. Even uninjured and at his best though, Big Red has always had his limitations. Petrie is a far better player.

Haven't watched the game yet, but can't say I'm surprised that the Kiwis came out hard and smashed us on the boards. Apart from Petrie, we are pretty soft in the frontcourt.

I am surprised to hear that we struggled with their press though. Between Gibbo, Crosswell and Cadee, we should've been able to manage.

Reply #382980 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

To the people who went to the game (if any), can you explain Massingale's night?
For him to only play 3:44, he must have been injured? Noone has mentioned it.
Was he really that pathetic that he only warranted the 1 run? He checked out at quarter time with 1 missed shot, 1 turnover, 1 foul and 1 block and didn't return. That makes his season totals 3 turnovers, 2 fouls and one of everything else but 0 steals. In 16 minutes of play, even the most useless of 10th men would expect better numbers than that.
If he wasn't injured, you'd have to assume he will be heading home soon. Import or not, we can't afford to have 2 players of our 10 being unused. Especially when we also have Crosswell who doesn't really have a place in the team either.

Reply #382982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Rudd, from what I saw Schenscher was getting the ball in terrible positions way too far out now that might be to utilise his exceptional passing but I doubt it, just doesn't seem like he has much in the way of plays run for him which is odd."

100% correct. This has been Clarks biggest issue is that he hasnt utilised players properly. Tonight gave me some real warning signs that even with a loaded team we still wont be able to put a game plan together, really hope I am proven wrong.

Reply #382987 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Eli1, Clarke actually did call a timeout when the margin was 7 points.

Just watched the last quarter. That was just the Cedric Jackson show, aided and abetted by some atrocious passing by the Sixers.

A big problem thus far this season is that Gibson seems the only guard who can make anything happen. Cadee was disappointing in that last quarter and Crosswell did nothing either.

Need another guard to step up, because you could see that Gibson was a bit gassed late in the 4th quarter.

Reply #382988 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Are people seriously blaming Clarke for Schenscher struggling offensively? That's on Luke, IMO. Coaching and positioning isn't getting him blocked or struggling to get a clean shot up.

Reply #382990 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

Ced Jax won them that game, check out his contribution at the start of the 4th

Assist
Steal
Steal
Assist
Defensive rebound
3 pointer
2 pointer
Missed FT
Offensive Rebound
3 pointer
Steal
2 pointer

Turned a 1pt deficit into a 17 point lead in less than 5 minutes. A class above.

My main thoughts..........

-It is troublesome we look a lot better with Petrie at the 4 and DJ at the 5
-We're struggling with the guard rotations. Cadee isn't getting his team mates involved enough, Gibson looks better at the 1 than the 2, Crosswell is getting very spotty minutes (sometimes as the off guard), Massingale is getting very limited opportunities.
-Weigh barely got a look tonight after such a good first up game.

Let's not panic yet. The team has undergone a massive overhaul, including 3 new starters but even in the win the above stood out. It's up to Clarke now to work out how manage the roster.

Read my blog for more

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/10/4-minutes-and-57-seconds-of-carnage.html

Reply #382993 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, Luke has been terrible offensively so far. Clarke couldnt really play him because the game was just too quick for him in both the open and half courts.

Reply #382994 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The best five I think is Johnson, Petrie, Weigh, Creek, Gibson. Schenscher brings something different and draws some defenders, but can be a bit limited.

Reply #382998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massingale needs to be given more time and opportunity to get some confidence... The 36ers could def use his scoring power so for god sake Marty give him more time. Run a play for him so he can get a good open shot.. He will make it and then we can see what he can do.

Reply #383000 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Great game by Petrie, he and Gibson are fast becoming my favourite 36ers, i would be quite happy to see them both in 36ers uniforms for a long time.

How good is Cedric Jackson, all teams would love to have him, he is my MVP over the last 2 years.

Not throwing the baby out with the bath water, as no real shock/shame losing to NZ in NZ, as much as we would have loved to beat them, but id change the rotations and starting 5 to this.

C Johnson - I havnt minded him at PF, happy for him to spend time there, i would just rather start Petrie over Schenscher

PF Petrie - easily our 2nd best big to start the season, brings some much needed toughness to the team, and is playing way better than Schensch, so lets reward him with a start and more minutes

SF Weigh has had a good start to the season, far more efficient and not forcing the issue, which is good, still reduce his mins to around 25 unless he is on fire like the Tigers game.

SG Creek - to me out of Cadee, Creek, Massingale, Creek is the most proven at NBL level, he also brings more toughness energy and defence to the team, id like Cadee to out play him and earn the starting spot back, wasnt sure why he was just handed it in the first place, especially when we have Gibson

PG Gibson - best pg on the team by miles, best Aussie pg in the league and one of the better pgs in the NBL full stop, so lets use him at PG, id like him to basically play pg for his entire court time, let Cadee learn from the 2 spot and take over more as his form warrents. The only way Gibbo should be playing more of a SG role imo is if we sign someone like Cedric Jackson to play PG along side of him.

Bench

PG/SG Cadee - still play him around 20 mins but make him earn his minutes and outplay Creek to get his starting spot back, if he can.

SF Massingale - he will actually play SG, with Creek sliding to SF, but we need to play him atleast 15-20 mins a game and give him a few shots, best to have him prove early if he can be atleast as good as a Ng/Herbert ie scoring 8-10pts at a decent clip in around 15 mins, not asking miracles, but if he cant do that, it may be best to try another import, we cant have a 10 point player not playing. Lets find this out early in the season, throw him in the deep end a bit and see what he has got. I dont think we can really judge him atm as he hasnt played enough.

PF/C Schenchser - obviously he will play C when on the court. Would like to see him average around 10 points at a decent clip, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks, he needs to do that to justify the points and $$ we are spending on him. Id bring him off the bench until he outplays Petrie or Johnson, no one should be gifted starting spots. He has been ok on the boards and defensively, but needs to lift offensively, as he doesnt play Vukona type defense to cover for the lack of offense.

Id basically run those 8, all given 20+ mins.

Crosswell and Pero nothing against you guys, but in a 40 min game i think rotations are better limited to 8, so would just give these guys court time when foul trouble/injuries occur or in a blow out or if one of our main guys is having a shocker.

Anyway a 1-1 start is what most would of expected in all honestly given our draw. So not too worried, just hope we make some adjustments now and beat Cairns at home, and not let this season slip away by giving Cadee and Schenscher roles bigger than there form warrents and underplaying others.

Reply #383005 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Hi guys I see the Adelaide players as puppets, I mean in over 2 seasons, every single timeout, Clarke is constatly using his whiteboard, you would think they would know most plays by game time. Is this too critical or do sixers fans see what I see.

Reply #383007 | Report this post

bolto  
Years ago

Have to agree with big Marty though, playing in NZ is like travelling to the most remote country location during a C grade football season. The oval is shot, the fans are feral and the refs basically let the home team get away with murder coz they are too intimidated to call anything against them. Yeh, we played badly in spots but giving the home team a 5-10 point head start due to "letting it go" at one end (Boucher, Vukona etc) makes ya just wanna write that game off as a joke and concentrate on the real season when you get home. And then the thug has the audacity to have a cry when HE gets landed on his arse during a rebound tussle.

Reply #383009 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Didnt see the start of the last quarter BeanTown.
My fiancee told me i got back to the seat at 5;50 left in last. Bar and toilet so much more important when travelling away.

Oops

Reply #383012 | Report this post

Soccer player  
Years ago

It appeared that we played average all game but some how kept in touch with them.

Reply #383013 | Report this post

Soccer player  
Years ago

.....for the first 3qtrs. At 3 qtr time I thought we had them. If Creek Dogg didnt converted those 2 free throws at the end of 3rd. We would have ben punped and firing in the 4th. Not sure what the hell happened to lose the final qtr by 15???

Reply #383014 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sixers kept in touch because the Breakers weren't playing too much better. Travels, shitty passes and low shooting percentages kept it close till the last quarter.

Gibson again failed to trouble Cedric Jackson.

Reply #383015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone is bitching about Vukona, arguably the toughest player in the league, milking that intentional foul then getting up and having a go at Johnson for it. No one seems to be talking about the intentional he got called for against Cadee! that was a WAY worse call than the one called on Johnson. You Australians need to take the green and gold glasses off! Adelaide got away with just as much as NZ, especially in regards to traveling!

Reply #383016 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Anon #383016, the intentional foul on Vukona was intentional,he did it a second too early when Cadee was about to go up for it and he wrapped his arms around him. If Vukona waited a second and actually contested the shot properly he wouldn't have been called for it. Definitely wasn't malicious but the call was right.

The one on Johnson the umpires got fooled a little bit.

I think you need to take off your Kiwi glasses

Reply #383017 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

They were both Intentional Fouls and both got dealt with accordingly.

Reply #383020 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jason, do you watch games from other teams? Every coach is in timeouts with a whiteboard drawing plays.

Reply #383021 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Also, late in that game, although Clarke was demonstrating a play on the whiteboard, if you listen, he was also telling his players to trust their instincts and make a different play if the set they're running looks like being shut down.

Reply #383025 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I reckon Phil Smyth would be a good coach for this roster. Anyway, I didn't have a problem with Marty Clarke's rotations and coaching against NZ.

What is alarming though, is the difference in sheer effort levels and defence that the ex-GC players bring which the other 36er players aren't doing

Reply #383026 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Saw a quote from Marty Clark that "if Schenscher wasnt double teamed he would score fifty". not being double teamed and could take him 10 games to score fifty at this rate. Great motivation for his oponents, pressure on Schenscher - dumb thing to say.

Reply #383029 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I didn't watch the game on NBL tv, but it seems the Sixers were in the mix at 3 Qtr time.

Most people will agree that the chances of the Sixers winning the game were low, but had a good chance of pulling off an upset.

The first 2 minutes of the quarter were OK, but the next 2 and a half .... enter Cedric the Slayer, who single handedly won the game for the Breakers. By the time the timout was called, they Breakers went from +1 to +12. After the time out they lead went from +12 to +14.

So what happened in those 2 1/2 minutes? It started with a foul on Abercrombie who made both FT's.
Turnover by DJ, steal by Cedric, 3PM to CJ, assist Cedric
Sixers possession, 2PA by Weigh, rebound Cedric the Brave
Vukona fouls DJ, no shot off
On Sixers next possession, Gibbo 2PM, Weigh assist (margin 4 to Breakers and still anyone's game)
On Breaker's next possession, Cedric the Lucky get 3PM.
6:38 to go: Breakers +7, still anyone's game, Marty calls timeout (the smart thing to do)
First possession back, Petrie 2PA, Pledger rebounds
Their possession now, Boucher 2PA, but Corletto gets the OR, they go again, Cedric "Eagle Eye" Jackson 2PM. At 5:54 it's Breakers by +9 (still anyone's game) but Gibbo has fouled Jackson and so he gets a bonus throw that he misses, but get the OR and converts the chance into a 3PM (+12)

Time out called. For rest of game, looked pretty even.

So, I would say that a patch of pure genius by Cedric "The Sixer Slayer" was probably the only real difference in the two teams on the night. During those 2 and a half minutes he would have been harder to stop than an ex-wife with your credit card on a shopping spree in New York with her sister and best friend.

Reply #383046 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Even though I was optimistic for the Sixers to get the win heading over to New Zealand, the reality of the situation was that I was expecting a single figure loss against the back-to-back champs.
I didn't see the game live, but I watched the replay on NBL.tv, and noticed something about the way Schenscher was playing in the post.

He would get the catch in a reasonable position to make some kind of post move and more often then not he would turn back to the middle of the key for his shot.
The Breakers defenders seemed to pick up on this pretty quickly and Hudson/Vukona/Pledger were hedging towards the middle of the key while Schensch had his back to the basket, and yet I didn't see a point where he was aware of this and would turn to the baseline and have an open shot.

People on here which are blaming the lack of production from Schenscher on the coaches are ridiculous. The coaches can call the plays which lead to post touches but the entry passes, post moves, scoring and general effort all fall squarely on the players who are on the floor.

Reply #383047 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Put simply, it seems like Luke doesnt have a left hand.

Reply #383048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither did Ricky Grace (right hand) ^^^

Reply #383050 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ricky could catch though....

Reply #383051 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

There is a vast difference between a perimeter guy who has speed and a face up game only having one strong hand and a post guy with the same. The outside player spends a lot of time facing the basket and they take a lot of jumpers where this matters little. Schenscher spends all his tim with his back to the basket and almost always turn over his left shoulder to his right hand. His defender just sits there waitingfor it to happen and all he needs to do is drop step or up and under back to his left. You would think after all the years in juniors, college and as a pro he would be ably to make those basic moves to his left. There is no excuse for him to not be able to do so.

Reply #383053 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Ricky Grace didn't need to use his left hand, he was a legend on his right alone

Reply #383056 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I think you mean legend on his left hand KET.

Reply #383059 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah.

Reply #383062 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Jack Toft, Ced was brillant all night.

But to say "So, I would say that a patch of pure genius by Cedric "The Sixer Slayer" was probably the only real difference in the two teams on the night"

At the end of the day, it is a 40 minute game.

Those steals that Ced got were thanks to some pretty average basketball from the 36ers.
Blame the 36ers for that! Don't just put it down to 'oh the other team was better than us'

- Weigh should have got the DR off the FT. To give up an OR to the opposition on a FT is unacceptable

-Gibbo's turnover to Ced, that led to Ced's dunk was just bad ballhandling.

-Gibbo fouled Jackson and sent him to the line for the bonus.

From those 3 plays, Ced scored 7 points.

So I wouldn't say Ced won it single handedly and that he would be harder to stop than your ex-wife with your credit card.

At the end of the day, he simply made the most of the opportunities that presented him because of the 36ers elementary (and unacceptable) mistakes.

If the 36ers continue to make those mistakes a number of players in the league could do the same damage if given those opportunities..Lisch, Ervin, Crawford

Reply #383063 | Report this post

Tutes  
Years ago

Maybe, like other seasons, we just need 6-7 weeks to gel?

Reply #383064 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson Vs Gary Ervin NSEC next week. Can't wait to these two go at it.

Reply #383066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to the Ervin v Lisch potential matchup on Ten tomorrow.

Reply #383067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin v Martin

Reply #383069 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

http://www.facebook.com/threesixdegrees

A new 6er fan site with opinions and ramblings from me and other fans s fun place to throw ideas around is all.Like the page

Reply #383074 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Macdub, he was genius all night, those 2 and a half minutes turned the game.

A lot can be achieved in a minute!

Reply #383076 | Report this post

ant  
Years ago

Imagine if Jackson hit his FTs

Reply #383078 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Alot can be achieved in a minute...

If you give the opposition an opportunity like the 36ers did.

Reply #383079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB, I absolutely agree with you. As good as Jackson was is as bad as the Sixers were. The Sixers lost that game as much as Cedric and the Breakers won it.

I'm not too concerned with the loss and that patch of poor performance. It's still early days and hopefully they learn and improve from that experience.

Reply #383088 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Maybe the redbacks went out there for the fourth quarter.

Reply #383091 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think the issue is so much Luke's handedness or being double teamed, but from the two games so far it seems that he doesn't really jump when looking to score, and isn't measured with his approach. Not jumping means that he's susceptible to athletic shotblockers (Walker and Rush from the Tigers, Vukona, Jackson and Abercrombie from the Breakers) negating any height advantage he had. And having no finesse on his moves means he's flailing more than he's shooting. A couple of his attempts have simply not looked like the work of someone who's been playing basketball as a seven footer for as long as he has.

He showed enough in the pre-season to score a bit and have Boti talking him up, but maybe the pressure of the real season has got to him?

The second half in NZ was lost 37-30. For our failings in the fourth quarter, we had success in the third keeping them to just 10 points. Not worth a panic, but there are definitely a few things to work on.

I'd consider starting Petrie, using Luke as a decoy on offense for a bit when he comes in, and let the steady hands do the work until Luke and CJ can start finding their place. I'd be riding Petrie hard because he's an excellent player. Can't see why he can't become something akin to a Worthington for us.

Reply #383166 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:02 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754