Wildcat Fan
Years ago

NBL Sponsorship Question - dodo v iinet

Just wondering if anyone knows what arrangement the NBL has with its sponsors - iinet and dodo. iinet are major sponsors, yet there is dodo advertising during the game broadcasts, they sponsor the time-outs and seem to have quite a presence in the league (in tv broadcasts). Yet, they're not listed as a sponsor on the NBL website. And aren't iinet and dodo competing internet providers? Maybe dodo sponsor One/Ten and not the NBL. Does anyone know?

Im also starting to think that the iinet sponsorship isn't as a big a deal as thought. They never advertise during the games, and when an iinet ad is on, there is no graphic to mention that its the major sponsor of the NBL. Unlike Hyundai and Toyota where they always mention that they're the major sponsors of the A-League and AFL. I know the NBL is small fish, but I would have thought that iinet would want to mention that its a major sponsor of a sporting league.

And on a similar topic - I see the Daily Telegraph signage at the Sydney Kings on their court, yet on its website, there is not one single mention of the Kings. Basketball isn't even listed as one of the sports on its sports page. So whats the deal there? Do they support them or not?

Thanks.

Topic #29574 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Dodo's owners also own the Melbourne Tigers, and they seem to be spending pretty heavily advertising on the Ten/ONE broadcasts this season, although it is more about Dodo Electricity than their phone/internet products.

Reply #383034 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Thanks paul - So it might just be during Melbourne Tigers games that dodo is adverting on then perhaps. Both TV games so far have been Tigers games.

Reply #383035 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No, I think they are sponsoring Ten/ONE's coverage, as the half-time show is the Dodo half-time report etc. This is separate from the NBL, but the fact the focus is on electricity might suggest they are trying to avoid that conflict with iiNet, whose sponsorship is up for renewal at the end of this season.

Reply #383039 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

This is an intriguing thread. The only adverts I've seen during commercial breaks for Ten/ONE televised games have been the:

"Doh! I wish I was with Dodo!"
"Dodo, Dodo. Internet that flies--"
i.e. internet, not electricity.

Though I wouldn't call that advertising, but rather, relentless attempts to piss viewers off.

Reply #383049 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Someone please tell me how dodo is still in business? They should be well and truly extinct by now....

Reply #383052 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

owning an NBL team appears to be to last step in the business cycle before bankruptcy

Reply #383055 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Even if it's dodo electricity that's being advertised, they're still a well known Internet provider. Either way, I'm just curious how this impacts on iinets sponsorship of the league when dodo sponsor the tv broadcasts. Usually a major sponsor is signed on the premise of a tv deal in place to get their brand exposed on tv - yet it looks like it's dodo that's getting all the exposure.

Reply #383057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldnt Dodo be paying Ten so it would be separate from the league? Ten will play ads from whoever pays them.

Reply #383068 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Wildcats fan there are no expectations ever placed on a broadcaster when TV rights deals are negotiated.

This is left to the pro-activeness of the sponsor.

examples:

Bendigo Bank feature heavily in Channel 7 AFL broadcasts (in fact they were an acknowledged broadcast partner). Even with this, NAB still bought the half time space to acknowledge the Auskicker of the week.

Holden used to sponsor the channel 7 AFL broadcast - again with Toyota being the official league sponsor.

Even on the AFL website you will see ads for cars other than Toyota.

There is a difference been advertising and sponsorship, and all the bigs understand it.

If iinet want the Ch. Ten space then they could have it - just stump up for it. It would be a smarter play for them however to engage NBL.tv - a product close to their core business.

Reply #383127 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Thanks HO - That makes sense, and yeah I didn't realise this happens all the time in other sports coverages.

Reply #383228 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:04 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754