Anonymous
Years ago

36ers 2nd lowest score ever

Boti's 36ers vs Breakers review:

The 59 points was Adelaide's all-time second lowest, only 57 against Brisbane in 1983 worse.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/around-round-2/

Topic #29596 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Also, Cairns and Townsville both had 58 this round, and both were at home. Sixers actually had the second highest losing score of the round! ;)

Reply #383244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many minutes did they play in 1983??
Are we comparing apples with apples or apples with oranges?

Reply #383250 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Just for interest, that's 68.4 points per-48 minutes.

Reply #383257 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Anyone see a link between the level of physicality and often illegal defensive contact now accepted as 'part of the game' and the low scoring?

Looks to me like direct cause and effect to me.

From my perspective, requiring officials to call games so defenders have to play legal defence would go a long way towards addressing the low scoring issue.

Reply #383395 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, I think that's part of it and records being broken (as well as the change to 40 minutes) is an inevitability.

Watched the Crocs game and saw how few clear shots at the basket they got. Many times they were hammered with hard fouls or uncalled contact we're used to now in the league. I think they made four field goals in the second half? It'll happen in a grind or when one team is inferior and rattled.

(Not as though the Crocs couldn't have applied the same pressure and denied Perth open looks.)

Reply #383402 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the refereeing this season has been pretty close to what you see in FIBA tournaments. Some slip-ups obviously but much better than last season to date.

If you actually look at the (approx) stats you see why we have had lower scores in the first two rounds:

2011/12 average possessions = 79.5
average score = 80.5

2012/13 average possessions = 73
average score = 74

Reply #383408 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I love how in modern, professional sports commentators talk about "physicality" and how "X is a 'physical' player". When I grew up, it was "X is a rough player".

But "rough" makes it sound wrong and brutish, while "physicality" makes it sound clever and tactical.

Reply #383472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didnt Al Green score a ridonkulous amount in a 40 min game? Clealry they need to shoot more or stop turning oveer the ball as much.

Reply #383578 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754