Isaac
Years ago

Article on Woodville's Matt Elder

» Woodville's Elder aims to improve

Since completing his college career two years ago at California Baptist in Riverside - "about 45 minutes south of Los Angeles" - Elder, 25, has played some pro league basketball and just completed a stint with Glostrup in Denmark.

"I was so nervous," he admitted. "I had seen the level (of competition) but didn't know what to expect.

"The level here is better than Denmark."

Topic #2962 | Report this topic

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Pffft - Denmark.

The real question is: are we better than Sudan?

Reply #33665 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

In your dreams Satish! Our league is loaded with talent. We are hoping to enter a team into the NBL by 2015. Our major sponsor will be "Coconuts are us"

Reply #33668 | Report this post

please do not pay out denmark - I am having a baby

Frederick are you still posting on hoops sth africa?

Reply #33671 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

I am struggling to quickly compile a list of Denmark's All-Time Top Five athletes (any sport):

1) Peter Schmeicel (the former goalie for Man U who used to scream at his defenders anytime he got scored on, regardless of whose fault it was)

2) Um, some rally driver, maybe?

3) Hmmm...

4)

5)

Anyone else know their elite Danish athletes?

Reply #33684 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Satish,

There aren't many athletes called Fredrick but damm his woman is fine!

Reply #33693 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Satish,

How could you forget the African Viking?

Reply #33697 | Report this post

Straight Fringe  
Years ago

Pieter Van
Den Hoogenband is dutch.

And so is that other swimmer Inge de Bruijn.

(Mod: Denmark and The Netherlands are not the same.)

Reply #33699 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Ah yes, the African Viking - I overlooked him because he looks TOO Danish.

You'd think they'd have some Winter Olympians who'd done something but none are leaping to mind.

Reply #33700 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Found another (thanks Google): cyclist and suspected drug cheat Bo Hamburger.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/1483975.stm

If he doesn't make the all-time Top Ten best sports names, then no-one does.

Reply #33705 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

This guy's nationality starts with a 'D' too. Does that count?

Reply #33708 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Bo hamburger might be related to cheezeburger.....

Reply #33710 | Report this post

Bearcat  
Years ago

Will Princess Mary's baby be called
Freddie Prince Junior?

Reply #33711 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Don't go google searching on Matt Elder. Some interesting stuff. He posted this on a Cyprus website:

My name is Matthew Elder and my close friend George Banks plays in the league in Cyprus. I have talked to him about the level of your league and I am interested in the job you are offering. I am 62102' 240 lbs, PF/C, I played at California Baptist University and was #2 in the nation (NCAA andNAIA) in FG% at 68% and was in the top ten in the conference in FT% at 85%. I am strong, athletic, with good post moves and a good jump shot. I play strong defense and rebound very well. I have a profile on draftday.net and have tapes available. I play in the professional Drew Summer League in Los Angeles, CA versus top European and NBA competition. Please email me if interested or contact me anytime at 1-520-603-5135. Thank you. Comment by Matthew Elder  July [ 7.26.2004 ] @ 19:19

Then this on an Arizona newspaper website:

One of the top emerging sports stories locally this year is that of Matt Elder, former basketball player at Palo Verde and Pima College. Elder, who played at Cal Baptist, is now playing professionally in Denmark. He played well enough in Denmark that an Australian team offered him a better contract, which is like a move from Class A baseball to Class AA.

Google - a poor man's library!

Reply #33744 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Good find there Moses, Matt Elder will be a great addition to the already talented ABL, and hes proved that already with his first game and i believe will continue to do so this season.

I wonder how much Woodville picked him up 4 ???

Reply #33760 | Report this post

Eric Bradley  
Years ago

speaking from experience i know that it wouldnt be that much!!! but it is not always about the money, sometimes the experience is something to cherish even more than any amount of money! so a quick shout out and thank you to everyone at woodville!!! I miss you all

Reply #33768 | Report this post

Eric Bradley  
Years ago

and by the way, matt if you happen to read this i guarantee you will love it at woodville, if you havent figured that out yet!!!

Reply #33769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric nice to hear you still think of us at Woodville. You are missed as well. Good luck with what ever you do.

Reply #33787 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

Reply #33824 | Report this post

Dicken's Cider  
Years ago

Do not forget Hagar the horrible

is Sara Lee Danish?

I know they make them

so is princess Mary - Sara Lee - she is making a Danish !

Reply #33827 | Report this post

Matt Elder  
Years ago

Eric, thank you. The Woodville organization has had nothing but great things to say about you and they miss you. I am sure that I will have a great time here in Adelaide just as you did. Good luck to you and your team.

Reply #34305 | Report this post

Dai  
Years ago

I'm Danish. I played with with Elder in Glostrup, Denmark. He was way too good for Danish comp. and we were all glad that he received better offers. I don't think he wasted a year though, cause he made great friends and lived in an entirely new culture etc.

So I got a couple mails from him, he's telling me how his doing, he told me about his first two games. 30 and 10 and then 18 and 16. But man, gotta tell you this Australian league has alot of sites, and I can't really seem to find recaps, boxscores etc. Can anyone help me? I'd like some links, so I can follow Elder!

Reply #34522 | Report this post

johno  
Years ago

this website Dai is about the best you will get......up the top of the page, it should have boxscores, otherwise go to abl statistics on the left of the page.
good luck!

Reply #34639 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

First things first. I was googling for Matt and found this. Matt has played in the second best league in Denmark. Which is propably not as good a league as what he used to play in college. Remember people in Denmark are mostly just playing for fun (less than 12.000 players registered in clubs). There are very few people that are paid to play. Most of them are foreign players like Matt who propably was the only player that was paid on his team this year. The amount he makes can only be used as pocket money. Somewhere around 6.000$ for 9 months plus free acomodation and remember that almost everything in Denmark is more expensive than in the US. The reason to do this should only be that you want to travel and experience living in a foreign country.

An addition to the list of top 10 danish athletes. You could add Michael Laudrup who has won just about everything you can win as a soccer player. He has won the spanish title with both Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Bo Hamburger is danish but he's not the best on a bike. Bjarne Riis won Tour de France in 1996 so I guess he should be on the top ten list as well.

If we are counting female athletes as well Anja Andersen should also be mentioned for being the best female handball player ever, she's a succesful coach now. She's a big fan of Michael Jordan and he's inspired her to introduce a lot of spectacular new stuff to handball - only handball is not as graceful a sport though.

Peter Gade and Camilla Andersen are two of the best badmintonplayers in the world. They used to be a couple. She just finished her career.

Morten Andersen a famous veteran kicker in NFL.

Christian Drejer a young basketball player. Played one and a half a season for Florida Gators before signing with Barcelona. Before entering college basketball he was considered a top ten NBA draft pick. Since an ankle injury which kept out for most of the first season he's not been playing the same way as he used.

Michael Maze, a 23 year old Table Tennis player who won bronze medal at the world championships this year. He's got a good chance of actually winning it in the future.

Ole Olsen, used to be the worlds best speed way driver in the late 70'es.

And there are propably some I forgot.

Chris

Reply #34705 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:31 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754