Anonymous
Years ago

Daly signs with Pioneers

36ers Development Player Tom Daly has signed on to play with the Mt Gambier Pioneers in the 2013 SEABL season.

http://www.seabl.com.au/index.php?id=257&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=6082&cHash=d932ad5725

Another good signing by the Pioneers as he joins former teammate Jan Warbout, along with other former CABL players Matt Sutton and Erik Burdon in a team coached by Richard Hill.

Hill looks to have done a great job recruiting former/current Sixers (all of the above have been a part of the team at some stage).

Best of luck to Tom in the next stage of his career, will definitely benefit from playing in the stronger league.

Topic #29671 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Good signing. Would Brad Hill play a full off-season there? Or up in QLD?

Reply #384131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be up to Brad whether he wants to play or not. If he did, they would have incredibly strong starters in the 1-3 spots.

Reply #384139 | Report this post

Pallas  
Years ago

Not sure what benefit there is playing in Mt Gambier when you cant train with a NBL team in preseason.

Not sure if anyone playing for Mt Gambier has every moved on to NBL? Its more of a spot for people to go to if they aren't quite good enough for it, and know that its somewhere that they can make a bit of coin. Happy to be corrected.

Reply #384141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Brad was reluctant to play the limited games he did last season, but pressure from his father won out!!

Anon above is right, if he did, they would have a very strong backcourt and could look at an import big.

Depth is the main thing the Pioneers lacked (and road wins!!) last season, playing mainly 8 guys with not much cover.

If they can get Brad, an import or NBL level big, plus some fillers at the 4/5 spot, you could see huge improvement.

Daly/Sutton
Burdon/Russell
Hill/Jefree
Warbout/Solid big
Import/Smith

Reply #384142 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

seems to be a home for the past 36ers Dev players

Daly, Burdon, Sutton, Warbout, pretty sure Dodman played there for a while too.

Reply #384169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skip- Dods, while having several offers from the Pioneers, never played down there. You are correct with the rest though.

Pallas- To play in a better league than CABL? Under a great coach who's implementing a strong program? To play and train against fringe NBL talent? To have greater exposure and therefor great chance at snagging an NBL contract next season?

Tom's a smart guy, if he didnt think the opportunity is worth it, he wouldnt have signed.

Reply #384175 | Report this post

Pallas  
Years ago

If thats the case, why has no-one in 20 years gone from Mt Gambier to NBL?

Reply #384186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They werent good enough?

Mt Gambier's job isnt to produce NBL players, it is to win the SEABL.

I don think playing in Mt Gambier and making the NBL are connected BUT all the reasons I pointed out above are.

It just happens that those reasons lie in Mt Gambier ATM.

Reply #384192 | Report this post

Pallas  
Years ago

But 2 of those guys were playing NBL before they went to the Mt.

After leaving they didn't play again.

Reply #384198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guys you're reffering to are Burdon and Sutton I assume?

People will have varying opinions on why their NBL careers werent extended, but I dont personally think moving the Mt G had anything to do with that.

In no way am I saying the move to Mt G will automatically mean Daly will get a contract, but what is on offer down there is a boat load of good opportunities and if he makes the most of it, I think he's a good shot at making it.

And if he doesnt, well thats fine too. Because Im sure he will have worked his butt off and have no regrets.

Just curious, why do you think it would be a bad move? (if you do think it is?)

Reply #384202 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Both Eze and Sutts went to Mount Gambier after missing a contract with 36ers.
Look at Shaun Bruce, Auron McMillan, Andronicus,
Kevin White and many others in the past. Second best league obvious recruiting ground for NBL after college.
Redhage, Lowrey,Devries Mike Kelly and I'm sure many others including Andre LaFleur.

Reply #384204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jason Sedlock played for Melbourne Tigers after playing for Pioneers. Derrick (I think?) McDonald also played for Tigers

Reply #397582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heres a question: How long soes Daly get to be a development player?
Is there a time limit? Surely there is only so long you can "decelope" for

Reply #402857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask Delaney.

Reply #402860 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Congrats to Tom.

Kinda begs the question. How about a Sixers v Pioneers match?

Reply #402863 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:30 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754