Chuck Norris
Years ago

36ers recruiting

What do you all think bout the Sixers recruiting from what you have seen in the first 3 rounds ??

I think it is great how we (Sixers) dont just rely on an import, which most teams do and we use to. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

The recruiting in my opinion has been great & the team is slowly gelling together, as the season continues the team will get better

All you CJ Massingale haters give him a break

Topic #29673 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not hating, when a guy is brought in to pich hit offensively and he catn hit the ocean.

As for the other recruiting has been very aggressive and as ive said previously, its so full proof, it Mart Clarke proof. Well done.

Reply #384138 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Effectively Gibson and Petrie are our imports - key pieces, picked up late in the off-season. But likely better than gambling on unknowns. I've always thought we'd be better off paying up for Gibson (more reliable) in place of a PG import. Been hoping we'd get Petrie too and think he's yet to show his full ability.

In entrusting a young starting PG and bringing in Schenscher, I think Clarke has gone somewhat against the grain, but I think it can work.

Had Ng still been available, I reckon it'd be a strong side. With Massingale, they need to get him in rhythm and that should have a similar effect.

Reply #384197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the 36ers done too bad here really. We benefited better than anyone else from the demise of the Blaze and picking up Gibson, Cadee and Petrie has given us what we have lacked in the past 5 or so years. A good pair of guards who know what they're doing and a forward who can fill both the 3 and 4 spots.

Getting Big Red back home wasn't a bad thing either. Ok, sure he hasn't been the offensive threat that we'd have liked for a guy his size who's had NCAA, NBA and plenty of NBL experience, but what he's brought to the team defensively with his sheer presence under the basket has been good for the team. Having his 7'1 frame there has released DJ from the responsibility of plugging that hole and so far its worked. Having a pair of 7 foot 'Twin Towers' has also helped, though I think DJ needs to do more defensively and also needs to be in there blocking shots. Last year he averaged a blocked shot per game, this year he hasn't had one yet.

Massingale looks too nervous right now. I think they need to get him more involved when he's out there, get him some easy baskets and help him with his confidence because right now he couldn't hit sand if he fell off a camel in the middle of the Sahara. He's better than what we're currently seeing. I think the jury is still out though on both CJ and Pero Vasiljevic.

Ok, I've ranted enough for now.....

Reply #384225 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

After Saturday's game (missed the first game) Gibson was predictably very good, the others that impressed were Petrie (loved his hustle & toughness) and Cadee made Luke's job a lot easier.
I hope they don't try & hide behind the old "we haven't quite gelled yet trick" like some have done in the past.

Reply #384230 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

I think Coach Clarke has recruited pretty well this year, especially the front court. His offence feeds the forwards so he will always attract decent bigs.

The one blemish has been his lack of integration with CJ, who apparently was awesome preseason. Emphasis was on involving Luke last Saturday night clearly, and Clarke does have a bit of history of not integrating his big guards very well.

Reply #384302 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Is it really recruitment when you leave finalising your team until another team goes bust?

Reply #384310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wooooookieee, Why would you finalise your team if you knew that might be in the pipeline?Is that very smart?

Reply #384317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were probably also in the process of finding imports to take the spots Gibson and Petrie signed to, they likely had a few in the pipeline but held out until the GC situation was ressolved as Gibson and Petrie are safe bets and basically as good as most imports you could get anyway. Smart decision imo.

Its not like we relied our whole team on the GC situation, if we didnt get Gibson and Petrie we would have got 2 imports in there place, we had Cadee signed before the GC went broke, then CJ wouldnt have been signed a persumably cheap aussie guard would have been given that spot, so the team would have had a similar make up anyway. Basically 2 imports and say at worse Daly would have taken those 3 spots.

It was just a bonus we got the best Aussie Guard in the league in Gibson and a great PF in Petrie instead of risking import selection again, the big advantage imo is not risking on import selection, as getting the right imports accross the league have been hit and miss lately.

Reply #384320 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

anon #317: oh totally... I have that as a criticism of my own teams recruitment of certain players, I'm just saying that waiting and having three quality players fall into your lap (as if you read up on it, there were troubles during the season as well, probably a reason why Cadee was getting out of there early, being a free agent) isn't actually ingenious recruitment as some are giving him credit for :)

Reply #384327 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Kinda have to agree that it was smart holding off on signing a presumably untried import guard or two when there was a BIG possibility that two of the best Aussie guards in the NBL would soon be looking for a new team.

Personally I like the fact that the 36ers have, CJ Massingale aside, basically a team of home grown Aussie talent. How many teams in the NBL in years past have been able to say that they were successful with only one import player on the roster and that player wasn't one of the teams 'star' players? If the 2012-3 36ers at the least make the top 4 at the end of the season I think they'll have done something very few, if any, NBL teams have done.....got their without an import or two leading the way.

Reply #384414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In hindsight how dumb were the Kings. Sixers laughing hard.

Reply #384419 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:43 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754