philly
Years ago

Music or no music during game?

Long time debate and one that the NBL has been bringing up as of recent - should there or shouldn't there be music during the game? Thoughts?

Topic #29674 | Report this topic

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I was watching the Kings game on the weekend and they had barely any music. I think is the team is losing by a lot they should put on music so the crowd doesn't sound quiet.

Reply #384178 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

I have steered a number of people to Mark Cuban's blog about this topic lately

http://blogmaverick.com/2006/02/22/they-did-it-at-the-all-star-game-and-no-one-noticed/

http://blogmaverick.com/2011/12/24/the-fan-experience-at-sporting-events-we-dont-need-no-stinking-smartphones/

I dont know why the NBL needs to reinvent the wheel here. the NBA has done a lot of research into making the experience great. All the market research has been done , all the NBL need do is copy it .

Reply #384180 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Adds to the atmosphere but needs to be at an appropriate volume and the songs/lyrics appropriate for the times played. The "Music Man" needs to remember that spectators actually go to the Basketball to watch the game, not to listen to their music.

Reply #384184 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd like to hear what the players think, because I've never heard insight from an NBA or NBL player for that matter about in game music.

Reply #384185 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree 100% with Ushiro. While the game is on it should be used to enhance spectators' involvement in the game, not as a backing (or fronting!) track.

Reply #384188 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Easy fix. Get a real DJ, and a real MC. Problem solvered... A legit DJ will know when and what to play, and can read a crowd. A real MC will be able to control the crowd and keep everyone involved. Both home games so far have been like going to a blue light disco so far

Reply #384195 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One time they had a DJ as an MC and people were not fans. Didn't last.

Reply #384201 | Report this post

Michael D  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers had it perfect on the weekend. This shouldn't even be a debate anymore, all the other clubs need to be told to follow the Tigers' model.

For those that missed the game, things were kept pretty quiet during play but the 1-2 songs each quarter they did play all got the crowd MORE involved rather than silencing them. From watching on TV it seemed lyrics were banned (someone at the game might be able to confirm that). The other thing they did was use some of those sound effects you here at NBA games that get people to clap, which seemed to work well.

Basically, when the game was on, the basketball was the only thing vying for the viewer/spectator's attention. Which is how it should be.

Reply #384218 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I have long said no music - I absolutely hate the music and is one of the reason I don't attend much anymore - it ruins my enjoyment of the game. In fact I think my first ever post on Hoops was about the music.

I don't mind the "defence" chant or "let's go sixers". It is hard to get behind your team, to get vocal, when you are consistently drowned out by the music.

It is more than ok during the warmup, qtr time breaks and in timeouts but when the ball is inbounded then no music. NBA doesn't play music when the ball is on court unless it is the organ "CHARGE" fanfare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_at_sporting_events

Reply #384223 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

When done right and controlled, music can make a bball game more entertaining than it really is. Done wrong though and crowds will be eager to get away from the stadium. I personally am a fan of music in the warm up and time outs/breaks in play.

Reply #384232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont play music for the sake of playing music... play music that will get the crowd involved

e.g.:
* Put Your Hands Up - got a great beat, lyrics are "put your hands up in the air, put your hands up in the air..."
* Rock & Roll Pt2 - has a good beat and has a guy yelling so you can join in with him
* Moscow - popular song with a catchy tune that people get into
and lastly typical basketball organ music, no lyrics but everyone knows when to join in, they clap along and can add a chant to it

So if basketball entertainment, put some thought into it; get the crowd interacting in the game by playing "smart" songs!!!

Reply #384243 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Ricey,
The MC also has to understand the game and know when crowd involvement is needed. Too often at 36ers games (particularly when the sixers are behind) this doesn't happen and the crowd goes silent, when with a bit of encouragement they would become involved and lift the team. As said at the start - you have to understand the game. The same can be said with the music, although the person at the 36ers does an excellent job compared to other venues around the NBL.

Reply #384265 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Totally agree. Feeling for and understanding of the game are the keys. A bit of respect for the game and players doesn't go amiss either.

An understanding and awareness of crowd dynamics by the guy riding the buttons or slides would help too.

While I prefer no music over the game, relevant little 'stings' to highlight or reinforce the action is probably the way to go.

A blanket of loud music serves only to keep the crowd out of the game. For the 'sixth man' to have an effect you have to let him play!

And anyone who believes playing music will 'gee up' a crowd that isn't already 'into it' can forget it, based on my experience.

I have been around this sport for more than 50 years and I have never seen that happen. Crowds react or respond to what happens on the court. When things are close and emotions are up a crowd can reinforce and support a team, but it is the team [or sometimes the refs] who start that dialogue, never the crowd.

Reply #384307 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:01 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754