Whippet
Years ago

Tigers to pull the trigger on Braswell

Expect a change out of the Tigers on Brasswell. Rumour is a guard with NBA experience to arrive from a West Coast based team.

Topic #29769 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they should also change Lewis with another point guard, who ever the best aussie/nz they can get, Shane McDonald and Lindsay Tait spring to mind, and play 2 pgs on the court for parts of the game to limit the turnovers a bit.

Reply #384813 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

I dont see Braswell as being the weak link. and it is very early to make changes of any sort.. Must add, just because a guy has NBA experience doesnt mean he will come here and make a difference to how the Tigers play for better... I actually think the group they have is perfectly fine they just are going to boom and gel later in the season...

Reply #384815 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

While Braswell is a decent player most of the time, he isnt the sort of guy they need.

Given the rest of their roster arent great at creating shots they need a quick point guard who can to wherever he wants on the court. A change is a good idea especially as there are some very good players just cut from NBA rosters.

At his age Braswell needs that Kiwi citizenship and then he has a number of years left in him.

Reply #384816 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Getting rid of Braswell won't stop Seth Scott turning the ball over or Lucas Walker picking up a tech foul when the Tigers are trying to mount a come back.
Ballinger turned the clock back with that block on Pledge and then got his jumpshot going.

Reply #384822 | Report this post

ant  
Years ago

Not sure why they got Braswell in the first place. If he was naturalised I would understand, but as an import? No.

Reply #384824 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Need to make a change or they wont get many wins this season and the crowd will drop off.Too slow in transition and too many turnovers, Need to cut Braswell and inject some speed. Super impressed with Jackson.

Reply #384825 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Goulding also had 4 turnovers and Seth Scott had 7. Scott, Ballinger and Goulding also had no help putting points on the board, Burston and Greer both had doughnuts, Rush and Walker could only manage 4 between them.

Reply #384837 | Report this post

ant  
Years ago

Could use Devendorf about now.

Reply #384839 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No they couldnt!

Mystro, the issue with Braswell is that he cant handle the pressure under control, meaning he doesnt get to good spots to flow into the offence. Instead, he gets down court and the Tigers have to re-set and start their offence with 14 seconds to go.

A part of that is the Tigers not having a press breaker that flows into their offence and the teammates not being familiar with Braswell. They really need an offence that goes through hands and ends with KB with eight seconds left for an on-ball if they havent got anything else.

But a quicker point guard will exploit the pressure other teams put on the Tigers rather than survive it. That will create easy scores and make teams change their strategies. That player will also create open shots the Tigers are rarely getting at the moment.

With NBA camps over, there will be a number of players available who are better suited to be a lone PG in the NBL.

Reply #384841 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Braswell was the perfect 6th man off the bench to add some punch in a very good side. It appears Lemanis had a better role for him. Tigers need to do something. Not totally disappointed that Anstey is feeling the heat!!

Reply #384844 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

or the fact that no one else on the team can handle the ball so it's easy to trap them.
He's had to go against Martin, Gibson and Jackson who are 3 very good PG's defensively with very little help from anyone apart from Goulding.
If part of the problem is that his team mates are not familar with him, how is another PG going to solve that issue?
I doubt he will be on big bucks either.

Reply #384846 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I was impressed with Corey Webster, he looked comfortable with the ball and hit a few.

Reply #384847 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Corey looked good.

I think a new guy will be better if he is a better player more capable of dealing with pressure!! When KB beats pressure his main option is to shoot a pull-up, they need someone who attacks the rim.

If there was a Jackson playing for both teams last night that game's very different. Jackson is exceptional, but with NBA camps just finished it is possible to get someone of his ilk or close to.

KB's not good enough to carry a team's PG duties. Sadly, last night he was their second best PG.

Reply #384848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Imports are fine! The problem is you have the worst coach with the worst roster.

Someone tell me, of the tigers Aussie players, how many would start on another decent team?

None!

Reply #384851 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Not surprised the Tigers backcourt is struggling at all. Braswell is a good shooter, but is a secondary ball carrier in the NBL. With another good ball-handler, the Tigers would be okay, but with only Goulding, Tomlinson and Lewis for help, they're in big trouble.

On a positive note, it was great to see Balls have a good game. If he and Burston could be relied upon to stay healthy, the Tigers could consider cutting Scott instead and running Braswell as the starting SG alongside an import point with a bit of size. Unfortunately, with the injury history of those two, its probably not a risk they can afford to take though.

Reply #384852 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

Balls was good. Seth Scott is the shining light on the roster.

Rush, Greer, Sky-Walker and Burston should all be cut instantly.

Reply #384856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's going to be a big season for nz if ambercrombie
starts to play like he did last night consistently

Reply #384858 | Report this post

Whitey  
Years ago

quick quick, the tiger ship is sinking, braswell has been pathetic this year so far.

I cant wait to hear who is going to be the replacement.

Reply #384860 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Abercrombie is surely being looked at by NBA scouts. He's got the athleticism & range in his jumper to make it IMO!!

Reply #384862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you gotta wonder why the melbourne tigers who are 1 of the big drawcards of the NBL cannot seem to get a decent team together to challenge for championships on a regular basis, to me there is no excuse for that not to happen. Pretty sure we are very well of financially compared to the other teams yet we seem to struggle finding good enough players. Its a mystery.

Reply #384865 | Report this post

Moon  
Years ago

Probably because they have treated so many players badly over the last decade.

Reply #384876 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Anon, it's because they treat people like shit. Corletto, Ubaka etc.

Abercrombie is still finding his groove, I believe he will get even better defensively and offensively as his ankle holds up. He will find more confidence to attack the rim with more aggression and his jumpshot started dropping consistently as did his outside shot last season, that's looking like continuing this season if his last couple of games are anything to go by. As the season wears on both him and Jackson will both be in the discussion for MVP I imagine.
Pledger if he keeps going may even have a shot at defensive player of the year. He looks like he is currently the best Defensive Centre in the league after his last 3 performances.

Reply #384877 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree with Anon, Goulding, Burston, Walker, Greer, Rush would not start for Adelaide, Perth or New Zealand nor command many minutes off the bench bar maybe Goulding when he's on offensively.
Seth Scott looks like he will be a great asset once he finds his feet. Nice jumpshot with great range, a big body and not scared of contact but he had a heap of turnovers like Braswell and Goulding from just trying to do to much offensively. It was great to see Ballinger hitting shots and I choked on my drink when he got up and blocked Pledger's dunk attempt lol.

Reply #384878 | Report this post

ray jay  
Years ago

I love the Tigers as they are! This will give Adelaide and some of the lower teams a win. I also love the Adelaide team, and feel there is great potential but they should have trouble with the Hawks. A loss by 23 points will hurt. It will also give them a measuring stick as to where they are at.

Maybe next year!

Reply #384880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally i dont really think Braswell is at too much fault, he has been solid imo, no Cedric Jackson, but he would also be alot cheaper im guessing, but hey if the Tigers can get a Cedric Jackson then who can blame them for making the move, but anything less is not worth it, could just as easily end up with another Ubaka/Allen type who are no better than Braswell.

What is the problem that in the NBL most top teams have 2 decent ball handlers on the court at all times, ie 2 out of Jackson, Bruton, Corletto are basically on the court at all times and Webster there 4th guard is also decent, Perth have Martin/Lisch/Robbins/Bartlett all can play some PG, Adelaide have Cadee/Gibson/Crosswell so all basically run 2 ball handlers at all times.

Where the Tigers only have Braswell and Tomlinson a rookie, who dont really go on the court together, Goulding isnt really a great ball handler and gets a lot of turnovers when forced to do it, ie recent games, and the rest are more SFs or bigs.

What i would do is keep both imports, let go say Lewis or Rush or Greer, if not 2 of them and sign 1 or 2 PGs or combo guards, just for the sake of names say Shane McDonald and Lindsay Tait are the 2 best outside of the NBL (or sign the 2 best PGs/combo guards)

Then slide Brasswell to SG in the Lisch type mould and run one of Tomlinson, Tait, McDonald on with him at all times. I bet you that instantly decreases the turnovers, helps beat the pressure of teams like Perth/NZ and helps tigers run a better offense and win more games.

That would give you a roster of say

C Scott/Burston
PF Ballinger/Walker
SF Goulding/Rush
SG Braswell/Tait
PG Tomlinson/McDonald

I reckon those moves would be better,cheaper and safer than the risky move of just getting a new import PG, if they are anyless than Cedric Jackson it wont really help and even if they are as good the wont make the playoffs if thats there only move imo.

Also isnt Braswell close to been a NZ citizen? if so i would certainly keep him, then when that happens, i would replace one of Rush, Tait,McDonald with a import either an athletic SF or a combo guard to play alongside Braswell.

Not to many local PGs in the NBL better than Braswell definalty worth having as a local, and keeping around for that reason a bit like the Hawks did with Gruber.

Reply #384882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe that some of you are suggesting to cut Scott? Have you not been watching the games?

Reply #384885 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Once he finds his feet Scott will be great. Ballinger and Scott have the makings of a great front court if Balls can stay healthy and continue to get up and down the floor knocking down jumpshots like he did in this game.

As mentioned New Zealand have Jackson, Corletto, Bruton and Webster who are all capable of handling the ball carrying duties when pressed and then Abercrombie and Vukona also posses decent handles.

Reply #384887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne = Adelaide 2010/2011

Reply #384888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Braswell has been solid but not spectacular apart from last night where he was awful. Hes on a similar level to ubaka and allen. The problem is he can't carry the team which they need him too. He needs his citizenship so they can get another ball handler as an import. Homicide would have been a better option than Braswell though. The tigers don't want to sack braswell after the seamus era.

Reply #384889 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Shhhhh what's that sound I hear? Oh, hang on it's only Trevor Gleeson laughing his arse off.

Reply #384891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the problem with the NBL is that each season each team thinks they need to make finals and win it and if they don't coaches will be sacked or the team falls over/out of the NBL, so as a result they look for quick fixes. I think this view is really short sighted. Classic example was last year when Ubaka was sacked, Gleeson refused to play Josh Wilcher and signed Myron Allen and Shane McDonald. Find out if the kid can play.

I think the best thing Melbourne could do is announce that even if they win no games this season that Chris Anstey will be the coach next season and this is a rebuilding year, because let's face it, they won't make this years finals, so may as well change direction. Then I think Anstey needs to look at his game plan. The offence is stale, the options are strange and his players get nothing out of it. He needs to use D-Mac and run his options that he ran at Hawhtorn and Wesley as they are much better options than what Anstey is running.

Then finally, since this season is over then he needs to throw it open and find out if the kids are any good. Goulding, Tomlinson, Bennie Lewis, Walker and Owen Odigie. Play them with Ballinger Scott and Braswell (or another import PG). Rush, Greer and Burston are done, we know what they can do and it's not going to get much better. But the tigers need to look at the other teams and play the kids. Mitch Creek, Cam Gliddon, Mitch Norton, Clint Stiedl, Corey Webster and Cam Tovey were all good examples and coaches running the kids. Joe ingles and brad newley before that. Owen Odigie has the potential to be a very good player, he isn't going to college and yet the Tigers sit him and don't take a risk. If you choose Bennie Lewis over Darryl Corletto, a club legend, then you better find out if he can mature in to anything.

Even that young team with the 2 imports and Ballinger lose everything, at let it should be a fun game to watch. I would get another import PG who is quick and let that team play small ball, run and make mistakes, but make it entertaining. Better than watching average role players move slowly, get confused, can't beat a press and flat out suck.

My 2 cents

Reply #384902 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The other teams young guys have earned their spots and minutes on their respective teams. Corey Webster came through the Breakers Academy and Development program and has played for his national team so was a proven quantity was Steindl when he was signed having played NCAA.
He may get owned at training every week and may be clearly not ready, the Coaching Staff see these guys every day. Throwing him out to the wolves isn't necessarily helping his development. I'm sure if he could contribute he'd be out there.

Reply #384905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Mystro. Love how people make generalisations. Pick out a few random younger players from different teams but forget about the many more young players who have plied there trade elsewhere and not got the minutes.

If you are going to go down the rebuilding road that is fine. It is what the 36ers were doing. (we know how that went until half the Blaze fell in their laps).To do so you need a plan and even Marty who had the pick of many of the better young prospects was struggling to see the results. I would also suggest that a rebuilding team needs a veteran coach and I believe Anstey and his system and selection of Braswell is the root cause of much of the problem.As soon as I saw the Tigers roster and Braswell was signed it was obvious where they were heading. Scott has been above expectations so I hate to think where they would be if he was average. Only one way to rescue this season and that is to find a superstar PG quickly.

Reply #384908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your team is 0-4 you would think the day after a big loss would be spend doing recovery and starting the process to get ready for your next game.

Bennie Lewis was at the Motogp yesterday drinking grog and eaten fried dimmies/chips!!!

apart from drinking and eating it is a 2 hour drive each way which most clubs wouldn't approve on the recovery day!!! I think this just shows how unprofessional this clubs players and hence truly professional players who want to get the best out of themselves wouldn't be doing this....plus can't imagine a Perth or NZ would ever allow a player to do this it's so unprofessional and shows Anstney has no control over the playing group or they just don't respect him!

Reply #384913 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

that west coast NBA team point guard mentioned might be andrew goudelock who was just cut by the lakers.
the kings were looking at him a season ago

Reply #384916 | Report this post

The Truth  
Years ago

lol, what's Bennie Lewis doing drinking piss & eating chips at MotoGP? He should be drinking piss & eating chips on game day. Cut him instantly with Greer, Rush and Burston.

All hams.

Reply #384920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the fact that anstey wasn't a superstar with that size athleticism and skill obviously betrays the fact he doesn't have a brain for the game..

Reply #384973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

word is this maybe the highest profile point guard to play in the league in recent years. will definitely give NBL a huge boost

Reply #385197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am also confused as to why people are saying to cut Scott. He is great IMO.
But Braswell has to go. He makes me anxious that he will turn the ball over every possession!

Reply #385283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any info on this new point guard who may be coming into the Tiger's squad?

Reply #385363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Braswell is a joke. They should of only signed him as an Aussie.

Reply #386033 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754