cat
Years ago

Video-policy for juniors

so sick to death of videotaping games for video analysis for the Coach , only to be challenged by ignorant parents from the opposing team
No I don't need your permission or the opposing Coach OR the referees PROVIDING I follow some clear guidelines set down by BSA.
If you can't read, get someone else down South to read them for you.
I don't make the rules I just follow them

Videoing and Photography Policy
Basketball SA is conscious of concerns raised regarding the taking of video footage
or still photographs in basketball stadiums. Nevertheless we are also conscious that
there are genuine and innocent reasons why this may happen, including the
recording of family memories and scouting by team coaches.
In setting a policy with regard to the use of cameras in its stadiums and during its
competitions and programs, Basketball SA has endeavoured to reach a fair and
simple compromise between these competing needs.
The following policy shall apply to the use of cameras in all Basketball SA stadiums
and during all Basketball SA competitions and programs.
A person is permitted to video and photograph games involving minors provided
that they are:
a) related to a player involved in the game, or
b) doing so for scouting purposes or
c) approved by the Officiating Development Manager Basketball SA for the
purpose of referee development and education.
If parents have concerns about people videoing or taking photographs of junior
games, they should raise them with a stadium official. If the person using a camera
is then unable to convince the stadium official that they fall into either of the above
categories, they will be asked to discontinue taking photos/filming.
Any person aggrieved by that decision should raise the matter at the earliest
opportunity during business hours with the Basketball Manager at Basketball SA.
No videoing or taking of photographs will be permitted under any circumstances in
the toilets or changing areas of stadiums where Basketball SA programs or
competitions are being conducted.
Under no circumstances should video footage or photographs taken in Basketball SA
programs be posted online or in any public forum without the permission of the
parents of all minors appearing in the video or photograph first being obtained.

Topic #29771 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

Another angry sturt parent?

Reply #384818 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Print the policy on A5 sheets and when challenged, hand them a paper and then continue what you were doing.

Reply #384828 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Although you videotape in line with BSA policy, it's a common courtesy just to let the opposing coach know. Before the game starts your coach should say something like "we video our games" to the opposing coach.

Just don't do what one club did and place videos on a not so "secret" website that came up on google and was easily accessed. Made for some very interesting viewing!

Reply #384832 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

The Easter Carnival that Norwood run also stipulates that the camera must be in a fixed position on a tripod, under no circumstances 'hand-held'
Its a good practice to follow in full view of both Coaches, score bench and officials.
BSA's last paragraph cover the online posting which of course should be enforced rigorously.

My experience is being confronted when following all these criteria with accusations thinly veiled at an ulterior motive.

Forgive me if I react badly to that accusation and defend myself and the bylaw vigorously.

Reply #384833 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The society in which we live means that some parents are particularly over-protective when it comes to their children.

Reply #384840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those parents then should keep their children at home all times. Going to school is riskier than being seen in a basketball video !

Reply #384849 | Report this post

Nix  
Years ago

Well said Anon849 and Cat

Reply #384859 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Have done the video thing many times at all levels of basketball from domestic to VJBL, Country Champs and Nationals over a number of years now.

Generally speaking people are good and if you take the right approach at the appropriate level you should have no drama.

Local or representative level always just mention it to the team manager of the other team as a courtesy and you will be fine, never bothered from then on.

Higher levels usually mean more crowds and more seating, perhaps even registering at the door and being in a designated spot, amongst other video camera dudes.

Usually this is also no drama, just smile at the person asking your bona fides and let them know you are with the other team, all good...

The only issue I ever had was the 'hand held camera' vs the 'stand' as I use a mono-pod which is technically hand held and takes up no space like the tri-pod or stand does.

Common sense and manners, a little courtesy and understanding goes a long way!

Reply #385110 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

what exactly would you say
"hey just letting you know that i am going to record this game, do you have a problem with that.....wait doesn't matter because i have the BSA bylaws that say i'm allowed to, great chat good luck with the game"

Reply #385123 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

this all came about via an ugly confrontation on Friday night.

Opposing coach knows me and was fine with the video-taping

Opposing team parents had NO issue with it before or during game until they received a 30 point kicking THEN were in my face making accusations.

My respect for these sort of parents is zero. Same group that heckled our kids last year in Classics on court during the game. After winning by a point cracked out the L marks on the foreheads as they walked out taunting.

Was further abuse of supporters on Friday night making them move away from these morons.

I thought we were out here to support ALL junior kids involved in basketball. Their actions detract the attention away from the players endeavours on the court. This behaviourhas no place in junior basketball today.

Reply #385152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Selective memory folks , basketball has and still does have it's fair share of dubious characters and there have been enough public revelations of coaches charged and convicted of crimes relating to kids.

Basketball needs to wake up to itself in regards to players (girls)changing their training tops for scrimmaging in full view and videoing junior games, state excepted is way to precious and unnecessary.

Reply #385169 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

Rubbish

Fair share? Very very few problems in basketball compared to general population.

A Coach going over game tape to show and help improve athlete performance is considered by you to be precious?

At the top level of junior basketball in this State it is very much considered invaluable.

Reply #385186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Twelve and thirteen year olds don't need to be scouted on video and iOS asking for trouble

Reply #385196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So parents should not be allowed to tape their kids for memories later in life?

Reply #385200 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

taping U-14 Div 1's playing a basketball game is asking for trouble?

the world has officially gone mad , its official

Reply #385205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol get with the times people your children wear less on their profile pics on facebook unlocked for all the world to see or when they are down the beach I highly doubt basketball venues are pedo haunts sheesh. A stadium having security camera's linked to external sources is extremely different and is very concerning Jack.

Reply #385212 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:51 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754