Anonymous
Years ago

Everette Stephens on 30 for 30

Anyone else seen the 30 for 30 on Benji Wilson that featured Everette from his high school days? Gives you a sense of how far the NBL has slipped in terms of its ability to get quality imports - but perhaps good in that it was somewhat boring to watch two black guys take all the shots whilst 3 white guys stood around watching em - (and made it easier to dismiss the NBL as just a lesser version of the NBA) now teams actually play more balanced interesting basketball.. in theory at least, though the league is hardly filled with offensive mastersminds these days is it? (geordie being the obvious exception)

Topic #29782 | Report this topic

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon, you're forgetting imports like Joe Hillman, Chris Jent, Rimas Kurtinaitis, Scott Fisher, Tim Dillon, Dan Clausen, Paul Stanley, Steve Carfino, etc. None of those imports were black.

The there were Joe Hillman, Ricky Grace, Darryl McDonald, Bill Jones, Adonis Jordan etc. They didn't take all the shots.

And Ray Borner, Darryl Pearce, Phil Smyth, Ken Cole, Brian Kerle, Andrew Gaze, Sam McKinnon, Shane Heal, Andrew Parkinson, John Dorge, Larry Sengstock, Andrew Vlahov, Ian Davies, Mike McKay, Michael Johnson etc. They didn't just stand around watching. And when the 36ers beat Newcastle 151-103 in the 1985 Semi Final, the imports sure didn't get all those points. I lost count of how many Ian Davies got on his own!

BTW, Everette Stephens was an excitement machine. I saw him play against the 36ers for Newcastle and for Geelong - he alone was worth the price of admission.

Personally, I was never bored watching the "old style" NBL of the 1980s and 1990s (but my season ticket seat at Apollo *was* in front of the players' wives and girlfriends so there was always interesting gossip to overhear). Nevertheless, I wouldn't change it for the current style either. I do find the more tactical side of modern NBL more intriguing.

Reply #385002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seriously dude you think i don't realise there were white imports or australians who weren't role players? someone who knows who the heck everette stephens is? fact is in the past most teams had two high scoring americans - and most happened to be black (carfino is at least part black btw - not that it matters one iota)..

Reply #385009 | Report this post

Moon  
Years ago

I thought Steve Carfino was black?

Reply #385025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish Steve Carfino would quit all relation to the NBL.

Reply #385041 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:47 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754