Owen
Years ago

Network Ten signs with Rugby

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) has announced Network Ten as the organisation's new free-to-air broadcast rights holder over the 2013 to 2015 period.

According to an official press release, under terms of the new three-year agreement Network Ten will replace Channel Nine as the free-to-air rights holder for all Wallabies Test matches played in the Southern Hemisphere in addition to select Test matches that Australia's national rugby union side plays in Europe.

Network Ten's latest acquisition includes television rights to all three Tests in next year's British and Irish Lions tour to Australia.

Additionally, Network Ten will air a weekly Super Rugby highlights package.

Though financial terms of the agreement were not officially released, Australian newspaper Herald Sun is reporting the agreement to be worth roughly US$2.5 million annually.

"We are delighted to welcome Ten as the new free-to-air home for rugby from 2013 to 2015," said ARU managing director and chief executive John O'Neill. "We look forward to working with them knowing rugby will be the primary football code in the network's programming stable. It’s important for us given the exciting times ahead - including next year’s highly-anticipated tour of Australia by the British and Irish Lions. The Lions Tour is a massive occasion. It has been 12 Years in the making and will be the biggest rugby event in this country since the 2003 Rugby World Cup."
Ten Network chief operating officer Jon Marquard added, "We are delighted to deliver live coverage of rugby union to fans over the next three years. The Wallabies showed on the weekend that a new generation of players is emerging and we look forward to helping grow the game by showing Tests live and on free-to-air television for all Australians to enjoy. This agreement for Wallabies Tests represents a new era in rugby union's growth and now cements Ten's position as the place all Australians can follow rugby union on free-to-air television.

Topic #29791 | Report this topic

ant  
Years ago

Rugby is such a crap 'sport'. I dont get how people like it

Reply #385203 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

terrific contribution to the discussion ant.

Reply #385229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rugby's SHIT

Reply #385238 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wow, seems like youve been thoroughly outclassed HO.

Reply #385240 | Report this post

LRT  
Years ago

Rugby's dip in popularity is evident in the deal, $2.5Mil is nothing compared to NRL and AFL.

Reply #385245 | Report this post

ant  
Years ago

Sorry thought this was Hoops.com.au, not rugby or gaysport.com

Reply #385247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, do you think the NBA will ever be on FTA again?

Reply #385248 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

LRT, 2.5 million is just for the wallabies - not for Super Rugby. And I don't think this includes the four nations series either although thats a little murky...

Lacrosse is shit btw.

Reply #385252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rugby gets coverage basketball gets the middle digit, get used to it.

Reply #385253 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Rugby gets most of its money from pay tv. I doubt Ten would be paying much for rights to screen a highlights show of Super Rugby.

Never say never re the NBA but it rated pretty poorly on ONE so Id be surprised if it was back in the short term. Here's hoping but I am happy to watch it online.

It would be nice if iiNet could offer NBA TV as part of Fetch TV, not sure if the commercials of that would add up from their end but it would be enough for me to upgrade to it.

Reply #385259 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I would like to declare that really, if you understand onside and offside, Rugby Union is an awesome game.

Reply #385265 | Report this post

ant  
Years ago

I do, but not for me. Same goes for league. They got the game right with AFL.

Reply #385293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ant just scared to play coz he a skinny pussy!

Reply #385295 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

And don't forget the importance of putting phases together HO

Reply #385300 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

I love rugby. And basketball. Deal with it.

Reply #385315 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

I love rugby. And basketball. Deal with it.

Reply #385316 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

BigAds, I won't forget about those phases if you promise to remember how important it is to move the ball quickly from the breakdown.

Reply #385322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One's played by men and the other by those who wish they were.One has a following in Australia that is significant the other doesn't. One attracts crowds and sponsorship the other doesn't.Depending on the number of active, opposed to dormant cells encased in the cranium most understand that second and third tier athletes are involved with hoops despite it being a great 40 minute game.

Reply #385327 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

thanks Anon, now you start off your post comparing Rugby with AFL, why the Hoops bit at the end?

Reply #385352 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

The backs get to do all the 'pretty' work. Quade would probably disagree.

Reply #385353 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:19 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754