Anonymous
Years ago

Shanahan Named Coach of Knox Raiders Men 2013

http://www.seabl.com.au/index.php?id=257&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=6205&cHash=22103a58f0

Topic #29869 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

so will he now leave the highly paid junior gig at Hawthorn or will the bags of cash from the rich kids club be too tempting ?

Reply #386393 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Be interesting to see whether he makes an import change with Lester??? CJ is safe.

Reply #386394 | Report this post

ant  
Years ago

Why would he change Lester Strong? Sure he had an average season (injury partly to blame) but surely loyalty would be important. He must be close to being an Aussie as well. No idea why both of the Knox imprts have not become nataralised?

Reply #386395 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

CJ will be naturalised really soon. It cost over $2000 easy just for the paperwork to be lodged to become naturalised plus a probation period, then a permanent resident for 1 or 2 years then you have to apply for citizenship after that. Hopefully Knox have done that for Lester or else he won't be a citizen until he is 35 or 36. Too late???

Reply #386397 | Report this post

the chief  
Years ago

Hey annon I think you need to re check your status of Knox being the rich kids club, my mail is that it is now the exact opposite.They don't have the seat out of their pants but not as financial strong as they use to be.
I can tell you that neither import is signed sealed or delivered.I am told people now handling Knox Senior teams are the same as are handling the junior rep program.God help the senior program if it is true.
Good luck to Matt on his appointment I hope he does well.But one word of warning Matt you will make a big mistake if you try to bring DMac into Knox.Has history and the people at Knox have longer memories.

Reply #386448 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Knox will be the ones that will regret this appointment. Matt has had his chance at SEABL level and proved he couldn't coach. He then again at Big V Champ level proved he again can't coach.

Knox will be looking for a new coach next season.

Reply #386456 | Report this post

the chief  
Years ago

As I said in my last post I am prepared to give him a chance.His first big issue from a supporters point of view is that he has to sign both CJ and Lester.If he doesn't dont expect to many spectators at games or congratulating him on his appointment as those 2 guys are what draws people to games.
If he doesn't work out Knox should have a real hard look at who are now in charge of the program and maybe get rid of them as well.Oh maybe do that right now, one in particular is absolutely destroying the junior rep program.

Reply #386468 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

the chief.
The rich kids club is Hawthorn, read the post again.
They have him on a $10K pay packet along with the other big names who cant coach.

Reply #386473 | Report this post

the chief  
Years ago

my apology anon.I would hope that one the contractural demands placed on Matt would be an involvment with Knox juniors both rep and domestic.
We will see won't we.

Reply #386478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who else at Hawthorn falls into the 'can't coach' category? Some big names recruited there for the juniors on both sides.

Reply #386484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon must be a super coach to be dissing some pretty big names there.

Matt is an excellent pick up for Knox, extremely experienced and a fresh approach im sure.

Reply #386488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Shanahan has been around the traps for years both as a player and coach. Not sure he's as decorated as others but he's young and has good people who can help him - I think it's a tough gig hes walking into. CJ - Lester getting old in the tooth, Mick Hill all but done, Carol hasn't been fit for two years and his brothers aren't up to SEABL level. Signing Stephen Hoare (old too)! will be intresting to see if he brings some talent or shakes the program up with a new look.
I'm prepared to give him a chance but i'd like to know who elese applied for the job i'm guessing a few applicants would be scathing to lose out behind him considering he hasn't really been successful anywhere previously. I thought maybe Al Westover, Ian Staker or Guy Malloy would have had a crack for the gig. Or even the under 20 VIC state coach who I think is involved with the youth league team and assisted SEABL.
Lets see what happens. Good Luck to Matt Shannahan.

Reply #386618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shanahan just coached Coffs Harbour to a NSW state championship so i wouldnt exactly say he's unsuccessful.!!!
He had a short stint at Ballarat too with a poor list and not much money, Guy hasnt exactly dominated at Ballarat either which is not a reflection on his coaching ability but on the list and lack of ability to be able to buy players in.
He will do a great job with the Knox program im sure, he's definately got a Basketball brain.

Reply #386660 | Report this post

Frontbum  
Years ago

The Chief you are spot on with your comments about one person destroying the junior program.
Anonymous your also spot on about team being too old and some players being unfit and not up to it.
I think Matt Shanahan is a good coach and with a big shake up and some smart recruiting(young players only) will prove how good he is next year.

Reply #426176 | Report this post

Roger  
Years ago

Sadly the season hasn't gone too well but with some changes over the break, Matt will get a crack at a list that he can start to manufacture for himself. Hard to judge coaches when they inherit a list....especially an ageing one.

Reply #426590 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:21 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754