Matt Ryan
Years ago

Top 5 NBL Imports of All-Time

During Friday night's telecast, Steve Carfino and Andrew Gaze listed their Top 5 NBL Imports of All-Time.

Mine are:
Leroy Loggins
Robert Rose
James Crawford
Mark Davis
Derek Rucker

Who are yours?

Topic #29901 | Report this topic

Tyrell  
Years ago

Good list Matt- I have deliberately picked different players to see what others think? This is a tough one, I have two top 5's!!!

First Five
Butch Hays
Calvin Talford
Carlos Powell
Kevin Freeman
Chris Williams

Second Five
Brian Whethers
Lanard Copeland
Ebi Ere
Bobby Brannen
Gary Wilkinson

Reply #386921 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

brunton
loggins
green
crawford
copeland

tad dufflemeiyer
darnell mee

Reply #386924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky Grace
Scott Fisher
James Crawford
Rob Rose
Leroy Loggins (Best ever)

Honorary mentions:

Mark Davis
D-Mac
Cal Bruton
Rocky Smith
Al Green

Next level:

Lanard Copeland
Derek Rucker
Darnell Mee

Apologies for anyone of the greats I've forgotten.

Reply #386933 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

I give extra credit to guys who stayed in the league and did it year after year. Also think selecting a all star five is a better reflection as numbers of guards can be over valued.

PG - Grace
SG - Rose
SF - Loggins
PF - Fisher
C - Davis

Very sorry Dmac and Rucker.

Reply #386939 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

And Bruton and Crawford...

Sorry!

Reply #386941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tim Dillion

Reply #386951 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

How can you possibly choose? Ok sure, Leroy Loggins is probably everyone's #1 choice and I would say that Mark Davis, James Crawford and Ricky Grace are right up there also but look at the imports we've had in the NBL and how can you choose a top 5?

You could choose from a whole bunch of guys: Mark Davis, Leroy Loggins, Cal Bruton, James Crawford, Scott Fisher, Darnell Mee, Kevin Brooks, Tiny Pinder, Lenard Copeland, Ricky Grace, Robert Rose, Ron Radliff, Willie Simmons, Bill Jones, Al Green, Bruce Bolden, Derek Rucker, Darryl McDonald, Rocky Smith.....and countless others that I've missed, including Steve Carfino who despite his commentary was a pretty good player back in the 80s.

Of course, we've had some real dud imports too. I wonder what a top 5 import flop list would read like? I know he wasn't a flop as a player because he could play.....but I'd love to start that list with Julius Hodge.

Reply #386979 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Arvey Storey.

Reply #386984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very Tough to choose but Leroy Loggins is the best ever to play in this league, including Gaze. The guy could do it all and had no weaknesses. Amazing defender and scorer. I can remember Leroy even at 39/40 years of age guarding quick point guards like Derek Rucker. He managed to play at a high level until he was 43!

1. Leroy Loggins
2. Ricky Grace
3. Robert Rose
4. James Crawford
5. Scott Fisher

All those guys had longevity and were winners. Many other guys could be included like Mark Davis,Dmac, Copeland, Woodberry , Rucker and many mentioned above.

Reply #386990 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Nice to see Tyrell mention Carlos Powell, nobody seems to remember him, was only around for a year but was amazing. Averages of 28.4ppg, 8.2rpg, 4apg, should have got MVP 06/07

Reply #386999 | Report this post

fletch  
Years ago

Leroy Loggins
Dane Suttle
D-Mac
Dwayne McClain
Rocky Smith

Reply #387005 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

wow with all this, there is no talk about one of the most gifted big men to play in the NBL. there was one season where he was so dominate that no one could guard him. Melvin Thomas, he was more than solid. the 6'8 left hander was able to score and rebound with the best of them.
Not saying his the best but right right up there

My 5

Rucker
Rose
Loggins
Crawford
Davis

Reply #387008 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Mine are in order

Mark Davis
Leroy Loggins
Dwayne McClain
Derek Rucker
Scott Fisher

Reply #387033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Owen Wells has to be there

Reply #387037 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

This is always too hard, so I came up with a game I would like to see instead.

Grace v Mee
Green v Rocky Smith
Rose v Leroy
Dillon v Davis
Crawford v Reggie Smith

Reply #387038 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

not many votes for Ebi Ere, and what about the two Daves who played for the tigers in the 80s/90s?

how about some stats to allow us to compare them all?

Reply #387045 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

IMO it is impossible to pick a Top 5, because it depends on how far you wish to go back.
One that seems to be omitted is Ken Richardson.
And I'm sorry Anon 924 but Tad Duffelbag does not belong on this list under any circumstances.

Reply #387094 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754