jye
Years ago

Will the NBL salary cap ever go up?

so NBL players dont get paid near as much as NBA players ( oviously ), but i was wondering if the slarary caps will ever get higher, and the players get paid more.

Topic #29919 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

Depends if the league gets more income (obviously)

Reply #387103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it does, it will spell the end of the league. The NBL needs to drop the cap. I know it will reduce the talent in the league but at least there will be teams playing and not going broke!

Reply #387120 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Anonymous that is stupid. Drop the cap, so make the league shit but more teams? do you even read what you write?The caps fine where it is for now, and if a team cant keep up with it, it folds... what of it? sometimes the runt of the litter dies... survival of the fittest. i would rather 8 solid teams then 12 filled with duds.

Reply #387122 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I don't think it needs to be lowered or raised. The current crop of Imports are impressive and there are still plenty of decent locals coming through the ranks. I do think the points system needs a review. I like that it levels the field somewhat but I do feel that players ratings should be reviewable each season and players should be able to protest them easily and there should be good reward for club loyalty allowing veterans to be retained without massively effecting their teams rosters just because they had a decent season 3-4 years ago.

Reply #387123 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If a majority of teams are losing money, then it's very possible that players are getting paid too much.

Reply #387124 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mystro, ratings are reviewed, players can protest them (especially if it's keeping them out of work) and they only factor in the past two seasons.

Reply #387127 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im for a slightly reduced cap and more teams. Until the vast majority of teams are around break even point, or the league generates significant broadcast revenue etc, the cap shouldnt go up.

Reply #387129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Points system has to go! There was an article on that yesterday, for example for perth, redhage is a 10? His gona be 32yrs next season, don't think he should be rated at all, id rather see a player take a pay cut and play rather been let go because his a 10 or 9pnt player!

Reply #387130 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Redhage's rating will drop as his performance drops. It's done on a two year basis so if Redhage keeps going as he is this year he might even be an 8 next year.

The article mentioned the points system is harsh on old blokes, but Saville, Campbell, Hoare, Bruton and Boucher have/are all playing out their careers without any hindrance from the points cap.

Reply #387131 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

I don't know what the financial position of the NBL and its clubs is, but if it isn't dire, I'd just hold off making a move for a little while. Audience numbers and ways of accessing NBL content are heading in the right direction. So just wait, personally I think the NBL is on the rise, so I think the next move could be to increase the salary cap, rather than tighten it. It should be that snowball effect once the league starts making money and the cap goes up.

Reply #387132 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If a team wants to take a gamble on a bunch of kids and they turn out to be good I think they should be awarded for taking the gamble. I still think Imports should be 10 point players first season and the rated accordingly based on their performance in the NBL.

Reply #387134 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Maybe give clubs a share of the TV deal and let them direct that towards the salary cap. i.e., if the share of TV deal for each club is $50,000, that gets put to the salary cap for the season. If the TV deal goes away, so does that part of the cap. That directly links commercial performance and profitability of the NBL product to remuneration of players.

Reply #387136 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mystro, imports ARE re-rated after their first season. A couple from last year were 6-7 points.

Reply #387167 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

PeterJohn. You cannot build long term player contracts around that concept.

"I'll pay you $135,000 pa for 3 years, but in years 2 and 3 it will only be $115,000 if the league loses their TV deal."

Player is not going to sign that....

Reply #387168 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You will find the players association will block any move the NBL commission makes to reduce the cap.

Reply #387177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#7122 do you have any idea how many clubs are in financial trouble? There is no doubt that players are over paid. Your 8 team league could easily become 6 teams in the next couple of years...then what? Owners aren't going to pay for there teams to play 5 other teams. Look forward you idiot!

Reply #387190 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

marquee player concept needs to be brought in- that way teams that can afford it can pay one import big money outside the cap, also an aussie marquee player concept should be introduced, that way allowing the league to entice aussie players to comeback!

Reply #387231 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

then it becomes like the NBA where the dicks from L.A (Sydney/Melbourne) spend bundles of cash on titles and the smaller market teams just make up the numbers. Teams can sign a marquee player now, they just can't stack the rest of the team around them and there are plenty of good players in the league currently.

New Zealand could then afford to have Jackson and Penney, Abercrombie, Vukona and Pledger start. Think they wouldn't win a title with that 5?

Reply #387240 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

HO - this may be wrong but I thought that AFL & NBA players' associations negotiate a share of TV rights as part of their salary negotiations. Wasn't the NBA lockout about that? How do they manage around the long term contract issue?

Or is the point really that NBL is not in the same situation as those other leagues? That is, it's not strong enough to give players comfort that there will be a continuing revenue stream from TV?

Reply #387365 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:08 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754