jye
Years ago

How is NBL doing? growing or shrinking?

i was just wondering how NBl is accually going now, i know NBL was bigger in the early 200'0s, but will it come back bigger again?, is it growing, or skrinking? are clubs becoming more popular or less popular? are clubs making money or losing money?
i love the NBL, and hope one day it will be as big as NRL/ AFL/ A-league

Topic #29924 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most Clubs are still losing money, some heaps of money
We forget Gold Coast very quickly

Reply #387189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shrinking, unfortunately. It's just not the same as it once was. It's barely a spectacle anymore. I personally think its gone downhill since the introduction of 40 minute games.

Reply #387219 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

I reckon the NBL is just reflecting what is happening overall in the Australian economy i.e.

in Perth and North Queensland the NBL is booming,
Sydney just ok,
SA and Victoria slowly going backwards ..

Reply #387224 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Ballin fan. you are onto something there.

Reply #387233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#189 even with massive TV funding most AFL clubs still lose money. AFL is losing money

No one dares mention that though.

Reply #387234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you would think having only 8 teams the talent would be strong but it isnt most of our best players are overseas and our best juniors exum,simmons,maker wont ever play nbl. the 40minute games dont help. keep salary cap as is for now but change the stupid points cap.

Reply #387236 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Ballin fan, basketball is generally a pretty popular sport up here, but in the way of NBL, Townsville is doing badly - stadium, finance, fans. Cairns is going well. More and more NQ talent is coming through, but the 'capital of NQ‘ is struggling a bit. In Mackay and Rocky, they are crazy about basketball as well.

I agree with you in that the general state of the economy effects the NBL, of course it does. At the end of the day, watching basketball isn't a staple so it suffers. It'll be alright though I think.

Reply #387238 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

All pro sports teams lose money.
Some are bailed out by their broadcast rights.
A League is estimated to have lost 30 mill last year
AFL teams largely struggle with the odd exception
NBA teams even lose money.

However, the participation of basketball in Australia has never been stronger, the audiences are increasing and the attendances are up too. In general the NBL is trending upward.

Reply #387248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"However, the participation of basketball in Australia has never been stronger"

Really? Im pretty sure that is not correct.

Reply #387267 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

you sound convincing Anon with your "I'm pretty sure that's wrong"

Reply #387299 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

I gotta wonder what the league did with all the money from the Foxtel era? I know what happened in the Mitsubishi era!

Reply #387417 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:27 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754