Peter
Years ago

Looking for a junior tournament in NSW or SA

Hi all,

I coach at Nunawading in Victoria. We were looking to take our team to play in the Norwood Easter Classic, but didn't have enough players available.

I still really want to take my team to play an interstate tournament - what tournaments (and when) are there in NSW or SA? The team is Under 18s.

Thanks.
Pete

Topic #29938 | Report this topic

Bball is fun  
Years ago

There is one in SA at the end of the January holidays. 25-28 jan, hosted at central Districts Basketball home stadium Starplex. Generally at least 5 to 6 of the SA district clubs send teams here.

Reply #387410 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Probably not as Starplex/ C'entrals put all divisions, despite what division u ask for, into division 1 so kids leave there feeling very disillusioned. Doubt they'll have a big turnout in january

Reply #387415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^toughen up!

The STARplex tournament is rapidly growing and is based in one of the best complexes in South Australia. Highly recommended.

Reply #387420 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Agree its a good complex - that is all!!

Reply #387425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't go to Starplex tourney. If you wanna play that weekend it has to be Eltham/Dandenong tourney I'd say.

Timing for Norwood tourney is poor for U18s as A grade is compromised due to nationals being so close to it.

As an aside, I heard a prominent SA team may not participate in the Norwood tourney this year. Does that effect the quality of the tournament? Would it still be worth coming some of the better teams aren't playing?

Reply #387426 | Report this post

Oberon  
Years ago

Heard the same as well tonight.

Would be interesting to find out why they aren't participating this year considering they have had more teams than the host club in the past.

Reply #387429 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

ACT has the australia day long weekend tournament, which host, 18's, 22's and open's. they bring in lots of talented rep teams from sydney.
around easter Tassie has the Launceston classic which is normally really good too for 18's, as teams from Vic and all around tassie play in it.
Sydney don't have many, as a Rep coach here i find it hard for my teams to find a tournament worth playing in.

Reply #387441 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I have taken my team to SA for 4 years straight. It has progressively become worse to the point where I refuse to take a team this year. I won't be returning to SA unless there is some proof of it getting better.

"As an aside, I heard a prominent SA team may not participate in the Norwood tourney this year. Does that affect the quality of the tournament? Would it still be worth coming some of the better teams aren't playing?"

If that is the case then it isn't certainly not worth going this year.

I hope something changes because this used to be a competitive tournament.

Reply #387484 | Report this post

blue bagger  
Years ago

i have also heard that Sturt won't be pushing Easter on it's members this year. hooray i say, sick of funding Norwoods ABL teams. I can see a lot of double blue families spending quality time together as families without the pressure of participating for someone else's cause.
Well done Sturt management and JDO.

Reply #387510 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

what a shame SA can not even host a good basketball carnival, lets get a great joint tournament going here like Eltham / Dandenong and get the vic teams over here. The more our kids play in higher standard games the more they will learn and improve. Maybe basketball sa should step in and get involved and put the money back into SA junior basketball

Reply #387561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The biggest mistake Norwood made was when they just pulled out of the eltham tournament.

With Elthan sending over 20+ teams per year, they made sure it was a good comp. Without them and now Sturt by all accounts, where is this tournament going?

Reply #387573 | Report this post

Years ago

Can't ever recall a Norwood team at eltham ......

Reply #387585 | Report this post

Years ago

Pete I would email basketball sa and nsw - lot of trolling here - will depend on what level your team is at to get a tourney to match - there are plenty around

Reply #387588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early 2000's Norwood sent all their teams to Eltham and vice versa.

Reply #387599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be plenty of Sturt teams competing...

Reply #387642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am aware of a couple of other SA clubs considering the merits of this tournament at this time of year.

I just wonder if the news about Sturt is a threat of sorts to grab some of the cash coming out of this tournament.

Reply #387645 | Report this post

Raging  
Years ago

Norwood Easter Tournament has its value.

If your looking to have some fun games against varying opposition its a good option.

In comparison to Eltham/Dandenong - Classics its just a tier down. Ideal if you not going to qualify for Classics, similar to the Nunawading Tournamnt in June.

Reply #387709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gosford City Rebels in NSW have a good tournament in Feb each year

Reply #391581 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754