number 50
Years ago

What do people think of Centrals?

Topic #2995 | Report this topic

number 50  
Years ago

sorry guys the discussion is meant 2 say
CENTRALS-WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK IF CENTRALS?-AND WHY DO CENTRALS HAVE A BAD NAME?

Reply #34117 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Well just look at the state champs - I don't think that they finished with one team in the g/f (correct me if I'm wrong)

Reply #34118 | Report this post

number 50  
Years ago

who ever i talk to about centrals they always have bad things to say what is wrong with centrals we are a clib struggling to find wins but yet no one ever has anything good 2 say even when our player go out every week and lose we still dont drop our heads why cant people encourage the struggling clubs

Reply #34120 | Report this post

number 50  
Years ago

yeah we might not finish in grandfinals but we never stop tryin we still go out every week and try as hard as we can

Reply #34122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought their Under 14 Girls semi final game was a disgrace. Proves they shouldn't have been there and that draws don't always end up even.

Reply #34123 | Report this post

number 50  
Years ago

yeah but do you see us quitting and changing clibs when we lose

Reply #34124 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Well yeah the Club may not have the players of a sturt ... but teams are improving ... More and the male side .. the womens side seems to get pushed to one side a bit at centrals ...But.. the Lions are a club just like any other i dont agree with bad mouthing team ... but its hard for a club who has been at the bottom for so long to get back to the top ...

Reply #34126 | Report this post

number 50  
Years ago

we deserve as much respect as the clibs who finish top of the ladder we go out every week and play ball like all other 9 clibs we might not win but we still deserve respect

Reply #34127 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Really its people Like " ben " who cant think of something to actullay add ... they just make smart ass coments which is half centrals problem ... They will never inprove until they gain Respect and that is easyer said then done

Reply #34128 | Report this post

number 50  
Years ago

a few years ago you would not have seen a centrals club winning games but now our 14's girls win grandfinals our other teams get a win or two during the season doesnt this show we are improving

Reply #34129 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Yes they have improved a lot over the last few years, and good on the club for it. But as sad as it is they will not gain respect of winning clubs until they are more competitive.

Reply #34130 | Report this post

number 50  
Years ago

look at our mens team we use to be the team which was like a trainin sesion when we played now we are competative our womens team is getting better and improving every game our juniours improve every1 week we only struggle against the top teams but the bottom half we can compete with not getting thrashed every game

Reply #34133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Number 50, One GF win in your own carnival does not make a great Club. Those girls killed any credibility they had gained for your Club this weekend against North!

Reply #34137 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

No-one is denying that, number 50... I'm stuggling to see the point of this thread

Reply #34138 | Report this post

up top  
Years ago

then sorry man but u blind. its almost embarrasing 2 say who u play 4 wen ppl ask cos the club has such a bad name.

Reply #34157 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

number 50 - centrals have been stuggling for a long time. Yes, this year they have bought a competitive ABL team, but its seems only Glenn seems to be making any positive steps at your club. What are you doing to assist the club?

Reply #34158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

straight up they are woeful, reason being is because of where they are. nobody wants to drive that far out to play for a team that woeful. seriously this thread makes them look even worse.

Reply #34159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would certainly be ashamed to be associated to south, forestville, sturt................

Reply #34162 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Number 50. I hope you get ur head down and get on with the job. Dont worry about what other people think, just get on with the challenges ahead and enjoy it. I hope you have enough self belief in your own abilities that you know you can be a part of a group of people that is turning the club around, regardless of what anyone else thinks. People that dont think highly of the club just make the challenge more enjoyable.

Also be careful what you say. Playing the mens team was not ALWAYS like a training session. A number of teams that played us last year would not share your views. Not only has the club recruited this year but we have got good people who will help the club in many ways other than just on a saturday night.

Most of the people that post to this place do so annonymously, so what kind of answers did you expect to your question??? DOnt worry, I have seen plenty of people here taking an unfair shot at sturt and forestville as well.

34159 - The area from Moodbury to the Barossa would include some of the faster growing areas in adelaide for young families. Travelling distance is not the problem.

Reply #34190 | Report this post

OLD BULL  
Years ago

I'm with you incoqnito. When all is said and done, it's about young South Aussies participating and giving it their best shot. There are a lot of good, hard working people associated with all the clubs in CABL, which includes Centrals.

Number 50, do as incoqnito suggests  keep focused, work hard and help Centrals earn the respect they deserve. Remember, in life, if you don't have fun during the journey, you will never laugh at the end.

Reply #34215 | Report this post

kafman bcat  
Years ago

Sure, no wins on the board, but I'd love to play at their stadium. Gym, pool, etc, u'd think it would be a huge advantage. I presume its the distance that players have to travel for away games.

Mind you, Centrals play well at home

Reply #34234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it that people say it is so far to travel? If you come from Port Adelaide it is only a 45minute trip, the same from Hilcrest, Wayville is about an hour drive give or take depending on the traffic. The only ones that are a long drive are Mavs and the teams down south..........but they dont have to come to Starplex if they dont want to :)

Reply #34310 | Report this post

ye  
Years ago

I think u have a wonderful stadium, we all travelin most directions, if only BASA can make the game abit later for people down south & Mavs & also must say for Central comin down south maybe a 1915hrs game

Reply #34347 | Report this post

ye  
Years ago

if the country players stop comin to the clubs ,like forrest/v ,Sturt, North & now south, wow central will be much stronger , I am from the district of these 4 clubs, shits me when we got talented local players, we got to ve the countries , don't come for trainin , but plenty of game time

Reply #34348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AGREED!

especially if someone busts their arse and they are slightly better than the country player. the damn country player gets more court time because he travels farther.

Total BS!

Reply #34353 | Report this post

dickens' cider  
Years ago

centrals need to capitalize on their large population growth / area more

Reply #34411 | Report this post

concerned  
Years ago

central abl women may have a new coach but in my opinion he is only qualified to coach juniors.

why is he not playing his most experienced players??
why has a player who was club mvp last season, was top 3 in scoring and top 10 in rebounding and was also voted in starting 5 of all star team for the abl competition, lost all her confidence????
why is the player who won the coaches'trophy last season and is the best defensive player not getting any court time???
get your head out of the clouds Glen and lsiten to what certain players are trying to tell you? do you care about the club, or are you just trying to make a statement?
you had a chance at winning your first game against woodville and you blew it big time.

Reply #34457 | Report this post

concerned  
Years ago

certain players in your team have a better basketball brain than you do Glen.

Reply #34460 | Report this post

bebe  
Years ago

the women's team should not even be in the ABL competition. they are just no strong enough.
it is about time BASA looked at the situation Central find themselves in.
they cannot attract quality players because they do not have quality coaches.
quality players tend to transfer to clubs like North, South, Sturt, Norwood and Forrestville.

Have any of Centrals players (women) had SASI scholarships or been in a State Squad to have intensive training.
I don't think so.

Reply #34488 | Report this post

Willy Goat  
Years ago

A suggestion - Junior SANFL Club Footy has Zones - you live in a particular zone, you can only play for taht club. This applies to teh country and metro areas. (???)

Food for thought?

Reply #34524 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Bebe, your stupidity and lack of understanding is concerning.

Who run BASA? How many players have centrals lost to these clubs? Who are their coaches and what are there backgrounds, experience and qualifications?

Ask yourself these questions, do some reasearch and dont put up such rubish!

Quality players are not attracted to clubs. Do you think the clubs you mention just go out and "attract" their players.

I think quality players come from having alot of players to pick from at a young U10/U12 level. These players are then developed by committed, skilled coaches.

Reply #34559 | Report this post

bebe  
Years ago

do not call me stupid. read my statement.
I am not saying Central have lost
players to these clubs. I am saying central cannot get players to their club.
give me more credit, I know players are developed through the junior ranks.
but if you have a quality player that is not happy with their particular club they are more likely to transfer to a club like North etc. than to Central.
can you understand that.
and yes I do think abl clubs do go and attract quality players. eg. interstate players that certain clubs have at the moment. have they been through the junior ranks of these teams.
so don't say I have no understanding and don't have my facts right.
obviously I know more about b/ball than you do. I have done all the research I need to.

Reply #34561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ingonito, Look at the team Ted Powel had when coaching centrals they made it to the Finals, he scouted country players and bought players over with him. AND of course quality players are attracted to clubs namely the clubs coaches, why move to a club where there is nothing to benefit??
After being involved with bball at all levels for 2 decades i think i know and have seen all of it.

Reply #34582 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the Central conference had to have a "country" club participate in the league, and with Centrals moving to Gawler from Elizabeth that classed them as being "country".

If Riverland was still in the competition, it could be argued the Lions womens team should be dropped, but because they are not, both men and women will always be in the Central ABL, unless another country team comes into the league (Iron Triangle etc).

Reply #34583 | Report this post

AceLightening  
Years ago

I do not think Centrals Women's problem all stem from the coaching. The Women's team has suffered for many years before Glenn came along. He is not the messiah. Centrals women's main problem is their inability to recruit well or in fact, recruit at all. They persist in paying some players who are not contributing on the floor, yet pay nothing to those who consistently try. They have now got an import but she is only there for half a season, seems a big waste of money to me. Also Centrals have over the past 5 years lacked a point guard and a true inside player. If you are going to pay for an import, please fill these gaps.
Centrals would have been better off recruiting from locally based clubs, throwing money at say, 2 or 3 players to come and play for centrals, to at least get some wins on the board, then at least other players would not see the club as being such easy beats and may even consider playing for them. No player/coach is happy about losing but losing every week for 5 years must show you that more needs to be done.
I like the zoning players idea (SANFL), also perhaps any new lightening players coming from non-local based clubs should be contracted to play ABL with the bottom side, it is amazing what a few good players can do for the confidence of average players.

Reply #34617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ithink centrals is a good club. Even though it is not a very strong club i believe that it gives most players a chance to improve their basketball. They also have less teams than other clubs and that gives them a better chance to improve. I want to join the club but the only problem i have is the distance to Gawler but otherwise its a great club.

Reply #34642 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

I was talking juniors bebe, I reread your post and realise thats not what u were referring to.

Reply #34693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

number 50 i know you are in the u18 div1 team but why are there so many div 1 players playing div 2. Whats goin on the club with the div1s

Reply #34939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are only two div one players at the moment playing div 2.

Reply #34941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if ur in the div 1 team u would no why there are 2 div 1 players in the div 2 team

Reply #34945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if ur in the div 1 team u would no why there are 2 div 1 players in the div 2 team

Reply #34946 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

They are smart ass basically thats it

Reply #34948 | Report this post

South20  
Years ago

If anything in the game where South played Centrals, Central's "BLUE ARMY" lost the game for them. Centrals crowd is too over the top, children as young as 8 were spotted swearing and putting the rude finger up at South players, it is just unacceptable.

I am very happy that after making his two foul shots to seal the game ,Adam Blight gave the 'Blue Army' back what they had been giving South, the finger.

If i could offer some advice to Centrals fans from the rest of the state it would be to say that YOU ARE MAKING YOUR CLUB TO BE IDIOTS! Besides from the pack of losers the Blue Army, most junior teams do not have a good record. If they had a good record in juniors some type of RESPECT may be given to the BLUE ARMY but until then....

Centrals can basically be seen as a pack of low lifers.

Reply #36723 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

south20 - its comments like yours that are counter-productive for basketball. How can you make such a generalised, unsubstantiated comment. Everyone has their own opinion, but if you have some critisim, try to make it constructive.

Reply #36725 | Report this post

South20  
Years ago

To put it simply,
The only people that like the Blue Army are them selves, ask anyone.
This is not opinion based, all you have to do is to go to a Centrals ABL game....
Believe me you will get a headache!
They really are uncontrollable

Reply #36727 | Report this post

Mr T  
Years ago

Respect should be given to the BLUE ARMY no matter what. They get out to every ABL game no matter the distance they have to travel, they support their team whether they're winning or losing and I respect people who give up their time to do that.

Sure they can get quite arrogant when they win a few and quite annoyed and blame people when they lose, but who doesnt?

Now I want to find out who South20 is and I think I know. So I'll have a word to them next time I see them.

Reply #36728 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

South20, irregardless of your or the common opinion, this is one case where you shouldn't inflame the topic. We've had all of the "so and so is a feral" threads and they go nowhere. If you have a problem with the behaviour of a group (Blue Army or otherwise), write to the relevant club and suggest something constructive.

Reply #36729 | Report this post

Mr T  
Years ago

Or confront the blue army face to face and let them know?

"Uhhh.. Hi, Blue Army... Umm I dont really like how you are umm, how do you put it.. out of control. Uhh, you're giving me a headache and I'd like for you to stop. Please, thankyou".

lol, ahh nothing like a bit of a joke on a friday arvo.

Reply #36730 | Report this post

South20  
Years ago

Yeah
Rather than saying that i might get the umpire to send ANOTHER one of them out the stadium, just to start a pattern!

well i can obviously see that u havent ever experienced their immaturity!

Reply #36732 | Report this post

Mr T  
Years ago

They might be a rowdy bunch of people but they're bringing atmosphere to the small stadiums. What other clubs have support of that size go to every game home and away? I'm sure if they took it a little too far the refs would pull them back into line but for now let them be. They support the game just as much as you or I. The only main difference is they're a lot more vocal and willing to show their passion for their club.

Hmm... I thought I knew who you were but it seems if you were the person I thought you'd be at the stadium you're playing at tonight waiting to play already.

Reply #36735 | Report this post

south20  
Years ago

yeah maybe i am being a bit to harsh but they are over the top!
whodid u think i am?

Reply #36737 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

well its like this opinions are like ass holes everybody has one and most of them stink!! but there is some great debating going on here! how about we open up one on what ppl think of south??????

Reply #36818 | Report this post

SomeOneElse  
Years ago

R all u people still on about the aba game a week or so ago, just let that match go, seriously. Anyway I dont have any major probs wid Centrals and im no where near a centrals person in anyway, shape or form.

Reply #36880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

centrals are hopeless, win some GFs or make a grand final atleast...

Reply #44727 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:40 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754