yoyo
Years ago

Big V AGM

Anything come from this over the weekend?

Nothing on the website.

Topic #29990 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

as usuall it will be all secret.

Reply #388231 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Its hardly going to be secret with 40+ people attending.;...

Reply #388235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SCM and SCW - shorter season (18 games) and higher fees than last year.

Shep welcomed back.

Big V Youth League/D-League signed, sealed and soon to be delivered.

And Warrandyte still claiming they don't pay anyone to play there.

Reply #388236 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

All for the love of the jersey....Have to remember Justin Nelson is a media professional!!!

Reply #388240 | Report this post

Hogwash 56  
Years ago

Hahahahahaha Warrandyte not paying anyone, That's hilarious. I cant stop laughing!!!!

On a serious note that is great about Shep returning.

Even better about the YL and SEABL D-League comeing back together. Glad common sense prevailed rather than people only thinking about themselves.

What are they doing about teams in lower divisions that are stacked and not staying in D2 or D1???

Reply #388273 | Report this post

Hogwash 56  
Years ago

That last line was about teams wanting to stay in a lower Divisions when they should be playing higher.

Reply #388274 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

like who Hogwash?

Reply #388283 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

J N is so far removed from a "media professional" its not funny. There are uni students in community radio in far north QLD with more media expirience and professionalism that that fool. If being a media professional is about pulling the wool over people eyes then i guess he a the best 'pro" out there.

Reply #388285 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I agree with anon.Get rid Justin Nelson and employ somebody with some media expertise. The damage they continue to do their brand in the corporate sector is beyond a joke.

Reply #388288 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

And move on the GM and a few board members who still think that Big V is about community basketball. Change the constitution so that the delegates DONT run the show as well. To many small minded people with thier own clubs agenda making decisions.
The best thing they have done for years is the merge of YL and DL but sadly I fear for the poor little YL teams who are going to get pumped by better more professional teams from the SEABL stable.
But lets not forget that BA wanted this merge NOT Big V.

Reply #388361 | Report this post

BV  
Years ago

Anyone that does not think that Big V, their GM and board worked bloody hard to get the youth merge through has absolutely no idea what they are on about.
Last time I checked an association based competition is absolutely about community basketball. Giving the best kids in those communites, regardless of the size of your association to play in a multi-divisional structure. A structure that has existed LONG before the current administration. In fact the current board are the board that got rid of Division 3 in the men and women's competition.
The last comment is so factually wrong you wonder where some people get their info from.

Reply #388371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While SEABL exists there isn't as much need for BigV to offer a more professional Elite State based competition.
I agree that BigV has a more "domestic community" feel to it but the more i think about it the more it's becoming obvious that SEABL more than caters to the bigger clubs wanting to maintain a more professional image and Basketball product anyway.

Reply #388373 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Happy Days that is just a stupid comment. The damage they do their brand in the "corporate sector" - what does that mean? Are you suggesting their brand had significant credence in the corporate sector before?

Reply #388379 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, the BigV should be about community basketball in the way BV suggested. More so at the bottom end than the pointy end, but still community nonetheless.

But, they confuse their own brand in this sense.

The whole focus in media releases on "recruitment" and "signings" and trying to talk up player movement like its the NBA on their own programs indicate that they have lost sight (at least from a media perspective) of what community basketball is all about.

You would think it is about representing your community and celebrating that. I get augmenting teams with Imports/stars to improve standards, but the Warrandyte thing is a prime example - a whole bunch of guys with little relevance to the Warrandyte program suiting up for their D1 program, and every signing being celebrated like its the NBA mvp coming to town.

What we are not seeing out of Warrandyte (and others), or in turn being celebrated by the league, is that great junior kid stepping up and playing big minutes etc etc. Corio Bay much the same.

My gut feel is that the league itself (Board) want this, but that the media head is creating a whole different feel, which in turn drives pressure to try and get this attention.

Reply #388381 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Big V brand has no credence in the corporate sector at the moment but it has the potential to do so due to its georgraphic coverage and the demographics of its participants.

Reply #388385 | Report this post

BV  
Years ago

Mr Southern Pen. Head cheer leader of all things negative Big V.
In fairness to the league in the off-season most of the news that the clubs themselves talk about are their "name player" signings at Div level. The Youth Comp last year got plenty of attention in both Overtime Magazine and with their own segments on their online show which covered the young stars of the youth comp.

Reply #388415 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754