Tiger Watcher
Years ago

Big V SCM Signings

Looks like Big V SCM shaping as a great season in 2K13 so thought i'd oput a little run down of each teams chances.

CB - Title Faves - resigned most of the squad & added Hicks pending the import they are my early pick!

Wav - No Bennie Lewis is a bonus...Arkell good signing..loss of Benn allows Ombersaic a chance to play...they look strong as always.

Ring - Pending on retirements i still expect top 3 showing..they always seem to land great imports & i think Belt had resigned so they will go close.

EW - Heard thay have resigned core group & playing more kids from YL program..whisper is they are chasing current SEABL player and import - they'll be top 4 cause keeping core group

Hume - Solid core staying together losing Lowery hurts big time but heard they picked up Kansak from DV which adds depth - Best of chasing pack

DV - Signed Fennell & rumoured to have Truman which makes they stronger..but as per last few years they lack depth..a new coach might get the kids playing more but might be still a year away from pushing for finals.

Werribee - Expect them to surprise a few teams...need to sign a solid import and build on the season but i think they might pinch a few games at home early with there pressing full court style..rumour is they are chasing Cam Mitchell (ex Warrnambool)

Melb - Bringing alot of kids thru the program but might need a year or two of adjustment..the future is bright and they are well coached but might need another year...looking forward to seeing the kids take the step up.

Sherbrooke - New coach and fresh approuch, unsure on playing list but expect a few ex La Trobe guys to show up...thinking they will struggle away from home and unless they make a number of big signings i expect they will struggle.

Bulleen - Expecting them to be no better than Last year and they'll rely on 1 or 2 imports to get it done every week for them to win. without the depth of lcoal talent they are my tip for the spoon.

Topic #30000 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Ringwoods new import is a flat out shooter.Will post some big numbers from outside the arc.

Reply #388426 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

I heard Bulleen could have Ben Simmons playing for them. Not sure how true this is as I would have thought he would have other commitments with Australian junior teams and going to the US.

Reply #388428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did Benn from Waverly go to?

Reply #388431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Werribee won't have Cam Mitchell. He's moved back to the US and will be staying there after taking up a coaching offer.

Reply #388433 | Report this post

anonm  
Years ago

bennie lewis to hume city

Reply #388438 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Any names out Ringwood way?? Hawks always seem to get a gun 3pt shooter!!

Lewis to Hume City..wow there goes there season...only 1 ball out there and interesting to see how he goes with Maybank, Bogart-King, Kansak & Petridis all play 2/3 spots.

Benn has been rumoured to be heading down to McKinnon.

Reply #388453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons no Aust commitments - Going to the USA

Kansak will he help or hinder Hume ????

Arkell a loss for DV but smooth transition for Yth League players Reynolds, Page & Lee now

Ringwood vs CB for the title

Reply #388460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benn to Keysborogh

Reply #388466 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Tigerwatcher:I'll give you a clue:Ringwoods import went to the same school Morningtons import went to a number of years ago.

Reply #388488 | Report this post

Anonyo  
Years ago

Y so much hate going Lewis way? man plays NBL, you think he wont fit well at hume?

Reply #388491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stingrays would have to be favourite with

Osborn
Smith
Osborne
Hutchison
Rebula
Reardon
Williams
Hicks
Walker

No excuses with that line up.

Reply #388496 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Yusaf Qafaw (not sure of correct spelling) has signed at Bulleen hasn't he?

Reply #388505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hume recruiting a team full of 2/3's that demand the ball and wont pass, hope they shoot well because there wont be many assists down there.

Reply #388509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benn going to Keysborough??? WOW.

Surely the league would have to meve them into D1M with a player ike that. It will end up like when Mildura had Kevin Smith in that comp a few years back and nobody could match them.

Reply #388513 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

No hating on Lewis...i think he is a very good talent...just yet to see him make a team at Big V level better, hope he proves me wrong.

Miraflores is down at Hume City from all reports so i guess he is there PG this year.

Reply #388515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On Hume...

Maybank was a point guard all through college.

I've never seen Bogart-King played at the 2 spot

Bennie Lewis would theoretically fill a scoring void that they would lose with Maybank going to the 1.

... Would be a fun team to watch that's for sure.

Reply #388521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybank is not a 1, he's a scoring guard. What happens to Prendergast now?

Reply #388537 | Report this post

anonm  
Years ago

maybank will be the starting point guard

Reply #388548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lob City

Reply #388550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benn started in Div 3 for McKinnon didnt he?

Reply #388561 | Report this post

Spooks.  
Years ago

Petridis is NOT playing at Hume, he wont go back there.

Reply #388648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Already announced, Petridis is playing Div 1 with Whittlesea.

Reply #388650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Bennie Lewis signing at Hume City becomes official, they will have some serious fire power and depth, but that raises the question could they gel and mix together with Maybank, Brown, Bogart-King and a host of other great talents.

For mine the Maalo Hicks signing at Corio Bay is the biggest signing, instantly puts them into title contention along with Eric Williams or another import coming in aswell, and at 22/23 Maalo is still quite young with time to grow.

Will be really interested to see how the young DV point guard Matt Reynolds will go, after winning multiple all star awards and the like in youth league, I think he might struggle with the size of SCM?

Reply #388671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reynolds will be fine. A smart point guard who can handle pressure very well. Corio bay will need a lot of things to go there way to win it all. In all close games last year they lacked the composure to get it done also there captain and coach get teched up reguallary. Waverley and Ringwood for mine still the teams to beat.

Reply #388680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hicks, Reardon and Williams make Corio Bay super tough. With role players like Smith, Osborn, Osborne, Hutchison, Rebula and Walker they have the bases covered.
They have to start favourite in my book.

Agreed though that they need to be better under pressure to beat Waverley and Ringwood who will both have talented line ups. If anyone can knock them off I think Ringwood have the best chance due to superior coaching.

What does Eltham group look like for 2013?

Hume also have talent to burn file wins goes there, the challenge will be to get them to play together and defend, if so then they jump into the mix.

Reply #388691 | Report this post

GOGGLES  
Years ago

Greg Smith retired? thats what I hear

Reply #388693 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Word around is Norton, Beston, Cuffe, Macdonald, Maluma, Malvaso & Lister are playing at Eltham

Also I expect you might see Trigger or Import to turn up down there, so they should make finals pending any other signing they might make.

Reply #388701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is STURT going to surface anyone heard

Reply #388741 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Haven't heard anything bout Sturt...didn't he get married recently?? If he did he might stay over in Europe.

If he is back you'd think Ringwood would be were he'd end up.

Reply #388744 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Any recent news?
I see Eltham are changing coaches. Interesting to hear as they have been in the finals the last 2 years.
Any more signings?

Reply #394777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eltham has more politics than the Whitehouse!
Money for an import was pulled so i heard.

Lost 2 of their starters from last year, Tragarth not coming back and Petridis playing Div 1 with Whittlesea.

Eltham are in trouble.

Reply #394783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hows Sherbrookes import ?

Reply #394804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they sign Permenter, very solid on the boards and excellent defender, but offensively just average at Champ level.

Reply #394807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eltham are stuffed as heard 3 players from last year walked and coach due to politics
Guess theyll be back to good old days of 3/4 wins a year!

Sherbrooke got any news on guard signings? Is John Lee still playing there?

Reply #394812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://bigv.com.au/index.php?id=755&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2012&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=12&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=3179&cHash=315ae8765659d8488fc676a28a63b768

do people know about him?

from reading that he played in the NSW sbl ( 2nd div)

Reply #394830 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Who are the 3 players leaving from Eltham? Any news coming out of Bulleen, Tigers, Waverley, DV and Ringwood? Has Werribee signed an import yet? Hume City are also keeping their cards close to their chest on who they have recruited too. Bennie Lewis to Hume is a rumour that has been floating around.

Reply #394834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hume are saying nothing because nothing is going on there. Besides, they still use a typewritter in the office so it takes a while to process a media release and post it to the BigV office.

Reply #395038 | Report this post

Eltham Wildcats  
Years ago

Norton gone, to be signed to another club within 2 weeks

Reply #395555 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Just wondering if that is the offical Eltham Wildcats??

If it is the offical club handle surely you'd have an offical annoucment and not a on "Hoops" post!
Wasn't Norton the captian and All Star guard from last season?

As per earlier post there is a bit happening down at Eltham from the sounds....i have heard 2 other names mentioned as moving on as well!

Reply #395556 | Report this post

Eltham Wildcats  
Years ago

No, not connected to the club in anyway. Norton was indeed an All-star guard, not sure if he was the captain or not.

Reply #395566 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

At EW...interesting choice of handle if your not connected to the club.

Any news on the import signing down at Corio, will Williams be back?

Ringwood still tight lipped on their SG signing all the talk is the usual "Sharp Shooting Guard" tag line.

haven't heard anything out of Waverley yet...they normal get a big name recruit...any rumours?

Has Bennie Lewis been confirmed down at Hume?

Reply #395569 | Report this post

anonm  
Years ago

No bennie lewis at hume.. all they have new is kansak and miraflores not looking good at all.

Reply #395573 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Isn't Mirsflores ain't gonna see much time he wil get posted up flat out! Kansak is a solid pick up to help there depth thou.

Reply #395580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im pretty sure Miraflores was at Humes 2 years ago and got cut due to some issues. He's too small to play State champ, he'll get garbage mins at best.

Reply #395583 | Report this post

anonm  
Years ago

yeah hes way to small wont do anything. hume are fked they have no bench as per usual

Reply #395586 | Report this post

anonm  
Years ago

he got cut from hume youth league 2 years ago

Reply #395588 | Report this post

Broncs  
Years ago

For the life of me why do we keep recycling players with poor history at the club back? Last year was rediculous.

Reply #395590 | Report this post

TigersBigV  
Years ago

This year is going to be worse for them ^ heard they lost a few of there key youth players no future sadly.

Reply #395600 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Where is Norton going? That is a huge loss for them. Has Werribee got a big yet? If they don't they will struggle as most of their young guys aren't big and strong enough for champ men but have the speed, endurance and are tough with smart play.

Reply #395610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Miraflores was at Hume YL a few season ago and was cut before the season started. He got reported in a domestic game and was suspended but didnt tell anyone at Hume. He tried to cover it up but when the coach found out he sacked him on the spot. Hume mgmt said they would never have him back so I guess they are pretty desperate as usual. He also tried to play under a false name so I doubt he will last long as he will blow himself up veey quickly.

Reply #395634 | Report this post

anomn  
Years ago

Apparently he punched a referee. Lol.

Reply #395664 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

CB - If they can get themselves a good PG to compliment the bigs & annouce Williams or a solid import it will be thiers to lose!

Wav - Still awaiting the "big" signing but always a title contender.

Ring - As also wating on the import...no other news thou....any NBLer's heading down to the Hawks nest?

EW - Coach that nobody knows & rumour is most of the senior players are walking straight to other title contenders...who will suit for them?

Hume - Rumours around they are chasing Maluma from Eltham to play PG as they lack depth in the guards...they lack depth everywhere thou!

DV - Apart from talking up "Brother in Arms" no news from DV...they are going local with the backcourt which is a weakness....also signing a big might help.

Werribee - No news....any word on an import import?

Melb - No signings or rumours..will they get the NBL devlopment kids?

Sherbrooke - Import signed who was solid at Port Macquarie in State League of NSW...he is a good PG so hopefully he does well...if he is a bust they will struggle

Bulleen - no news on signings but rumour is that Qaafow has signed.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above or updates on sigings....just rumours so don't quote any of it as gosspel.

Reply #395693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darren Best no longer at Bulleen. Gone to play at a lower grade club in the south east

Reply #395700 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Best to Chelsea

Reply #395704 | Report this post

anomn  
Years ago

Why would Hume go after Maluma? Seems pointless

Reply #395714 | Report this post

Broncs  
Years ago

Hume will take anyone who wants to play, they recycled Anderson and Gai last year didnt they?

Reply #395725 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Maluma would add depth...looked solid towards end of last season....would keep Maybank away from the PG spot...so at least a few other might see the ball.

Reply #395727 | Report this post

anomn  
Years ago

true. well they really should be looking for a tall all they have is Bogart King and Brown noone off the bench.

Reply #395760 | Report this post

Broncs  
Years ago

Rumour is Ray Borner and Hamburger Bob to Hume.

Reply #395773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^ Hahaha!!!!!

Reply #395980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton to Corio Bay. Anyone else heard this?

Reply #396719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge signing if true. Corio Bay must be doing something right to lure big name players to their club. Should be an exciting season for them.

Reply #396866 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Hutchison signs up for his second year with Stingrays
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-7333-0-0-0&sID=143617&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=21807362

If the Norton rumour is true, it would add extra depth to what is looking like a very strong Stingrays side for 2013.

Reply #396887 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

Sherbrooke - Williams did play state league, they were a decent state league program but he did try out with Maitland (waratah league) and didn't make the final cut as a starter so he went make to Port Macquire.
He will struggle in big V unless he is on a really bad team and there looking for someone to dominate the ball

Reply #396903 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Talk around the traps (Bar CQ) is:

After Eltham signed up players and them changed coach the following players are walking:

Norton to Corio Bay - done deal pending confirmation of release from Eltham
Norton doesn't add depth he starts and plays 30 a game and surely makes CB fave for the title.

Beston to Waverley - Strong rumour looks like a good spot for him to land with Threatt running the PG you'd think its a good fit.

Macdonald - Rumour is he is talking with a few big V and SEABL clubs (good depth guy in SEABL)

Cuffe: Haven't heard much around on the rumour mill but with the others gone you'd think he'd also leave.

Not sure if eltham have any other players left to field a team but looks like a very lean year.

Any word yet on other Waverley or Ringwood signings? Import or NBL player perhaps?

Reply #396915 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Plenty of movements in the off season. Werribee still no word of recruits? Surely they will need to get an import plus another big to be competitive in champ mens.

Doesn't sound good with Eltham but you would think they have something up their sleeve after replacing the coach.

Rosters for all teams will be nearly finalised by mid Feb you would think.

Any practice games organised?

Reply #396955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

eric williams signed at corio bay.

Reply #397173 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Hear Eltham are chasing Jimmy Todd & are still committed to there import Guard.

If Williams has resigned at Corio it is thiers to lose!

Reply #397287 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher, Stingrays are probably the only team who has gone public with who they have recruited, retained etc for season 2013. I wouldn't call them favourites yet until other teams release their squads but at the moment Stingrays look good on paper. Just have to wait and see til the season starts but it should be an exciting one.

Reply #397369 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Ash Bryar has left Hume to follow Damon Lowery to Camberwell to play D1M.

Seems to be massive holes in the guard positions at Hume City. Will they try and get Joel Bellman (Diamond Valley Youth League) and go with a young leading guard?

Haven't heard that any of the Eltham players are leaving but it would make sense if they were good mates of the coach.

Surely there isn't all that much time for a heap of player movement anymore. The season is fast approaching.

Reply #397377 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Strong rumours around that Norton is at Corio Bay...other clubs have said he has signed or is signing!

Hume look to have big holes in the guards with no real PG who is at SCM level....keep hearing Malumba from elthams name mention but nothing concrete.
They really need some help at the PG as Jermaine ain't a true PG and general depth is an issue for hume.

Ringwood's SG import is red-hot! Thats the strong word doing the rounds but they might lack the depth if sturt doesn't re-sign.

Sting What? - Ringwood or Waverley are the only challenges and without any big names joining them its Corio's to lose....only probelm is you only have 1 ball between Williams, Reardon, Hicks, Hutchie plus Norton so i guess team management is the hard bit.

Reply #397398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton has signed at Corio Bay.

Hard to see anyone beating them.

Reply #398198 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Beston has signed at Bulleen.....think he lives like across road from venue.

Cuffe also a strong chance fort Bulleen with 1 other ex Eltham player.

Looks like most teams are pretty much done with roster except for 1/2 spots across league.

Corio clear faves followed by Ringwood,Waverley. Then the rest Hume,Bulleen,DV playing for forth

Reply #398263 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-7333-0-0-0&sID=143617&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=21882026

Liam Norton signs with the Stingrays

Reply #398697 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Great signing by the Rays to get Liam Norton.

Reply #398853 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Guess they were waiting on the clearance from Eltham as it has been known for about 2/3 weeks he was going to corio.

Strong mail around Williams being th import down at Corio too.

All quiet at Werribee still on the import front?

Are Eltham still fielding a team in Champ? Appears they don't have any players are the dropping down to Div 1 or maybe taking a yeqar off Shepparton sytle?
It appears on the surface they have no players returning from last year and they one they had re-signed are seeking games elsewhere!

Reply #398911 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Eltham couldn't possibly finish up after a change of coaching positions. Eltham are one of the biggest clubs in Victora, they should be able to field a side. Not sure of how good they will be considering the rumours floating around of all the players leaving.

Reply #398926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BIG problems at Eltham, they might have a fairly strong Jnr program but their Snr program is in tatters.

Reply #398933 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Don't know the inner working of whets happening down there but rumours from ex players are pretty strong about the whole team walking after the coach & club parted ways.

They are a big club but from the outside they have always appeared to be run like an amateur club compared i.e facilities are pretty poor, seem to loose a number of better juniors to others, always done things the same way cause its just the way they do them.

Look at other associations that are the larger associations: Knox, Kilsyth, Dandy or even smaller associations Waverley, Ringwood - Really they all appear from the outside to be better organised/run from Seniors thru to juniors even thou a couple don't have the available junior talent pool that Eltham do.

Until about 2 years ago when new coaches and committee came along they couldn’t win a game in the champ division and most of the committee are gone together with coaches so guess it appears back to the Eltham of old which I guess begs the question of do they belong in Champ if they are playing a bunch of kids who won’t win a game and be an embarrassment to the SCM competition? Maybe a year or two in Div 1 will be a better development pathway just like Werribee did a few year back and now they are ready to step up again.

Reply #398956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eltham went down the path of quantity over quality many years ago and are now suffering from it. The Big V program is pretty well stuffed and is run by people with hidden agenda's although if you look hard enough you can see through them. Juniors are borderline above average with a huge list but once you get past all the 1's teams they fall off into Met 4 and regional most of the time.

Reply #399111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really wouldn't class Eltham as one of the "big" clubs
It might have numbers in the jnrs but they have pretty drab facilities, and the quality of their players is pretty average.
You certainly couldn't class them with the Knox's, Kilsyths, Dandenongs, Tigers, Nunawadings, Bulleens etc.
I see them more as a mid rung club, their Champ teams without the extra money they enjoyed will return to where they were 4 years ago.

Reply #399114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hearing that JP Wilkinson will be suiting up for the
Devils

Reply #400123 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Who?

Reply #400127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Desperate times for the Tigers?

Players Needed- Melbourne Tigers SCM

If you have what it takes to play State Championship Men, the Melbourne Tigers are currently looking for expressions of interest to play for them in 2013.

If that is you, contact Head Coach Nick Abdicevic on 0414 521 912.

Reply #400145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Played for tigers YL a few years back and
Then albury in seabl

Reply #400157 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Wow Tigers must be desparate!.....wonder if Eltham are also going to post an ad for players if the rumours are true

Reply #400161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ad Hume to the list of clubs desperate for players.

Reply #400175 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Outside of Corio, Ringwood & Waverley you could combine the other Champ teams with the top 8 in D1 and just have a larger Championship division which would be a very strong league.

Corio, ringwood, Waverley would just have to join SEABL or limit thier spending to ensure the champ comp wasn't to lopsided.

Reply #400181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would it cost for a Big V champ team to move to SEABL? I mean, what extra costs would be involved outside of player payments (ie - fees, travel exspenses etc)

Reply #400185 | Report this post

JV Hoops  
Years ago

Eric Williams resigns with the Corio Bay Stingrays. Official press release to come out tomorrow.

Reply #400202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ringwood could never afford SEABL. To do so would mean raising junior fees by 100% and increasing the number of teams they have to 50 or more. They fund the Champ men and women with juniors money. Always have and always will as they have a very poor mgmt team with no idea of sponsorship and fundraising. I am sure someone will fire back with a comment about all the signs around the stadium but half of them are old and have not been paid for in years. They have a horrible deal with Maroondah Council and make bugger all from the actual domestic comps. They would need to find another $100k a yr to go SEABL and they run close to the bone now so thats never going to happen.

Reply #400206 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Great news about E-Will signing with Stingrays for his second consecutive season. The whispers have been around for a couple weeks but all is confirmed now. Fantastic off season by Stingrays. Hopefully can all click during the season. Ringwood still the team to beat.

Reply #400215 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

In regards to SEABL and Big V teams changing leagues, my personal opinion is a couple SEABL teams will join Big V in the not so distant future as the costs will become too much and the economy is becoming weaker therefore getting sponsorship will be harder to afford the costs that go along with the SEABL competition. I heard it is $70,000 to enter each season for SEABL before player payments, travel costs etc. Not all teams will be able to maintain these expenses. Time will tell though.

Reply #400217 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Nunnawading, Frankston and Sandringham have been close to jumping over to Big V.

Once 1 or 2 switch there will be a snowball effect as Big V gets stronger with each SEABL team added. Before you know it the saving $$$ is more inviting as the difference in level of competition narrows, Big V becomes a much wiser option.

Reply #400222 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Will the "new SEABL" competition have any impact on all this ?

Or has all that gone pear shaped ??? I've sorta lost track ...

Reply #400225 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

LOL! New SEABL, that would mean BBA would actually have to do something! Fat chance.

I'd be so happy to eat my words if positive changes were made to underpin the NBL, but i don't think so.

Reply #400227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its all good and well saying some SEABL clubs might drop their snr teams back to BigV but they'll lose their better players to other SEABL clubs in the process.

Reply #400261 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Not if the pay is the same, they will stay, and if say 4 SEABL teams are in with Big V, all of a sudden you have 6-7 power teams in a very strong division.

Reply #400268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ NOPE, the older ones who are at the end of their careers and only play for money might stay but the younger ones looking to go further will stay in SEABL to get better, play against a higher standard of competition, in much better venues and experience the travel and interstate rivalry.
There are plenty of examples already of this where BigV clubs have been able to offer players more money than SEABL clubs but the smart players want to play at a higher level.
Also is it true BigV will only be an 18 game season? WTF? that's 8 less games than SEABL.

Reply #400295 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Yea the Big V Champ division only play 18 gmaes this year.

I guess the key is if 3/4 SEABL teams dropped down to Big V you would only keep the Top 4 from from the Big V Comp.

ie.
3/4 ex SEABL Clubs + 4/5 Big V Clubs and the drop back the last 3/4 Champ clubs to Div 1 as they would get smashed and make a mockery of the compeition.

Reply #400302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if enough SEABL teams went to Big V you would see a split conf comp for sure. No way would Big V reduce the champ mens teams.
The $70K fee for SEABL includes air fares for the team and coach although I think they might limit it to 10 players and exclude 2nd assist and managers, they pay thier own way I think.
With the new merged Youth Comp for SEABL and Big V you may see the chances of a few SEABL teams move their senior men and women to BIg V in the future.

Reply #400307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suggesting SEABL teams should move back to BigV is like suggesting AFL teams move to the VFL.

Ridiculous.

Reply #400308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ONLY reason a SEABL club would go back to BigV is if they were id dire financial problems.
Form a competition standard and club profile position it would be very detrimental.
There are 2 very good examples of this, Dandenong and Hume.
Dandenong realized it was killing their profile and went back to SEABL, but look at what's happened to Hume if you want to see what leaving SEABL has done, the club is a shadow if its former self.

Reply #400309 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Agree with the above comment. The only club that may go to Big V would be Nunawading and that would only be for financial reasons.Sandringham and Frankston going to Big V forget it. Will not happen guaranteed.

Reply #400310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawading would be about the only one likely to resort to BigV.
There are some serious issues down there which i doubt will be fixed any time soon.

Reply #400312 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Nunwading still field a pretty strong line up evey year so they must have some cash/organisation.

Nunawading always seem to field pretty strong teams so I can't see them really wanted to come back and play Big V.

I think a defection of 3 clubs at once would change the landscape but unless the dollars dried up im not sure why Nunawading or any other SEABL club would drop back as per the early example of Hume/Dandy.

Plus can’t really see SEABL clubs wanted to play at such wonderful venues that are currently on offer in the Champ div.

Reply #400329 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

An interstate team allegedly spoke to Big V about pulling out of SEABL two years ago (not sure how that would work with BigV being a state league?). The SEABL got wind of it and subsidized the interstate team even more than they already do. People at the club often talk about the good deal they get.

Reply #400332 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Cough Cough...wasn't Alubry was it?

Reply #400343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess last year really was the SEABL championship.

Reply #400348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawading has moved on from the issues it had with alleged criminal activity by a senior office holder. They have secured finacial stability and have a new structure and people running things. Dont let fools like #400312 tell you otherwise. They will not be changing their SEABL status anytime soon.

Reply #400385 | Report this post

Spooks  
Years ago

#400385, Not sure what you're smoking but the problems at our club got a whole lot worse at the end of last year.

Reply #400554 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754