Sam Dunk
Years ago

Shep's return to the Big V

Massive news for Country Basketball in Victoria.

Dont be surprised if Shepparton dont even lose a game next year, They should not be playing D2M they should have done the Corio Bay and entered in at a higher Div.

The league's Big V TV even tips them to win the D2M title in their first year back.

To be honest I dont see them losing a game.

Topic #30020 | Report this topic

BobbyO  
Years ago

Its great that shep are back in the BigV.. But saying already you arnt going to lose game?

This comp isnt as weak as some might like to think.

Keysborough, Horsham and Melton all have quailty players who could definatly play higher divisions and have all recruited well over the off-season.

So good luck in your quest for an unbeaten season!

Reply #388757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unbeaten- based on what?

Are you figuring Matt Bartlett in your plans?

Zaine Allen?

Reply #388760 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Zaine Allen is at McKinnon again.

Reply #388777 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Will Shepparton have an import?

Reply #388785 | Report this post

Abc123  
Years ago

Zaine Allen and Matt Bartlett won't be playing, they will have a very strong team though.

A group of young guys around 17-21 that have played together forever and a day! They click well, play together and for each other and are best mates off the court, a real family feel that most "new" teams and even established teams could only dream of.

The majority of the group would have been involved with country State basketball programs over the years and hopefully this can transfer to the senior level as well.

Reply #388787 | Report this post

Power bar  
Years ago

Zaine Allen will be playing for Shep as McKinnon have signed Bo Westover. He was going to be playing but is not happy with playing behind players who have come lately.

Reply #388789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bobby O, you say that Horsham have recruited well. Can you share with us?

As for Shep, keep in mind they have been working at this for some time.

Reply #388790 | Report this post

Abc123  
Years ago

Power Bar - where do you get your info from? Makes me laugh.

Zaine was 1 if the first to sign at McKinnon - he has actually signed

Reply #388796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abc-123: A group of 17-21 year olds from shep who are mates off the court will go undefeated will they? You're funny!

Reply #388797 | Report this post

Abc123  
Years ago

At any stage did I say that they will be undefeated? I don't think any team
in any division will go undefeated, it's a ridiculous call to make before the season starts.

Love everyone putting words in mouths and creating stories on here. Just stick to the facts and read what people have actually said.

If you have ever coached/played at a high level, you would understand the importance of a tight knit group on and off the court and how much it can help.

As for the 17-21 year old comment, it was purely to outline how long they can be a good team in the competition, and how far off their peak they are.

Reply #388798 | Report this post

Vesta 81  
Years ago

Players leave all the time after they sign. Even after the season starts sometimes.

Matt Bartlett will be playing SEABL this year, but if will return to play for Shep if they end up in a higher Div like SCM in the future.

I dont think Shep will go undefeated but they will definitely be in the top 2 or 3. I think Horsham will also be up there as they have the money to spend on big recruits.

Dont be surprised if it is a all country GF series.

Reply #388821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Shep don't recruit and pay at least 3 outside guys of a higher standard to complement the young guys they won't even make finals.

Reply #388823 | Report this post

Vesta 81  
Years ago

anonymous, Surely you are just trying to get people to bite or you just have no idea;

"If Shep don't recruit and pay at least 3 outside guys of a higher standard to complement the young guys they won't even make finals."

3 top end guys would create the 'undefated seas' that was being thrown around before. Keep in mind this is a club that did very well at SCM level for a period of time.

Shep will make finals as is. Keep in mond that they were runners up at the Big V tourney last year and are even more developed a year on.

Reply #388825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vesta, you must have a short memory, when last in the big V Shep had probably the best player in the division, import Jared Swanson averaging 28 and 18 and they still struggled to win a game, quite frankly they stunk. Yes they used to be good in SCM, but that was 10 years ago now and that was when they were paying at least their entire starting 5.

When i say recruit 3 players of a higher standard i mean something like 2 good div 1 players and maybe a decent role player from SCM who can earn a little money that he wouldn't get as a non star in SCM. Having those 3 with a group of youngsters which i'm sure have some talent and they would be there abouts.

Reply #388826 | Report this post

Vesta 81  
Years ago

Agreed he was the best player in the Division, but Swanson used to fight and argue with his teammates on court. I know as we played against them.

At the same time the current D2 comp is not as good as the div's Shep played in in the last 5 years of of their time in the league.

Understand what you are saying about D1 players, I mistok that you were suggesting 3 SCM quality players. My Bad.

Also Shep will have an import this season.

I truly think they will do very well.

Reply #388827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The comp is stronger now than ever, even Div 2 compared to the bottom divisions in the past. The bottom 4 teams of Div2 are weak but the Div 2 finalists from this year would have all beaten the Swanson team comfortably, and that was Div1 at the time. Unless they recruit well they will struggle.

Here's Shep's last 4 years in the Big V...

2004 - SCM: 13-9 Made Finals

2005 - SCM: 9-15 Missed Finals

2006 - Div1: 5-15 Second last

2007 - Div2: 5-15 Last

2008 - Pulled out of the Comp

Reply #388830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta add that i may be sounding negative, but that's only about people's expectations of how many wins they'll have or saying they'll make the finals, it's tougher than those people think.

I know how much work goes in behind the scenes and I'm wrapped that Shep have made it back in and looking forward to seeing they go. Hopefully more country clubs will also develop and one day maybe we can get back to the mid 90's where every big country town had a team.

Reply #388831 | Report this post

Ganymede  
Years ago

I disagree the Swanston team would have won D2M last season. D2M has not imporved this season.

2007 there was also D3M and it is those teams that were in D3M that season that now make D2M. Keeping in mind there are more teams in SCM and there are almost twice as many in D1M

The fact that they have invested all of this time into working on their return I'm sure it will be a good return.

This is a good discusion tho.

Reply #388834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are so many posts about country towns coming back into the league but WHAT ARE THE BIG V DOING ABOUT IT?

Yes, shep came in this year but we lost Warnambool womens....

Reply #388838 | Report this post

BV  
Years ago

Clearly up to date with the league then are you anon.
What about the league offering Warrnambool women the chance to maybe play D2 with their juniors, or the suggestion of forming a regional cluster team so they could continue? Or the discussions the league may or may not have had with other country assoications.
Just because YOU are not privy to EVERYTHING that goes on doesn't mean things are not happening behind the scenes.
One cannot expect, SEABL, State Leagues, NBL, NBA to just tell everyone everytime they have an idea or enter into any form of discussion. Seriously mate.

Reply #388842 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

BV are you an employee of Basketball Victoria?

Reply #388956 | Report this post

H  
Years ago

Anonymous, I think you'll find there will be another country team coming in next year to play 2014 Big V season.

In regards to Shep, i reckon they'll do very well next year. I'd put them in the mix for finals. Definitely don't think they will go undefeated. I reckon maybe 14-6 for the regular season.

Reply #389050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will def make finals!

Reply #389086 | Report this post

Gaylord Focker  
Years ago

BV are you an employee of Basketball Victoria?

lol! I think you got it in one Anon! BV quite obviously works for Basketball Victoria, judging by the tone of the post.

BV, in reponse to your comment "One cannot expect, SEABL, State Leagues, NBL, NBA to just tell everyone everytime they have an idea or enter into any form of discussion.", what you're saying is COMMUNICATION is NOT IMPORTANT in an organisation such as Basketball Victoria??? WTF?

Seriously mate.... lol!

Reply #389090 | Report this post

H  
Years ago

So maybe BV can shed some light as to why there are less country teams in senior competition than there should be.

Reply #389116 | Report this post

BV  
Years ago

Initials of my name mate, nothing to do with where I work.
Happen to know the effort the league went to in accommodating Warrnambool with their women's team but ultimately it was the club that pulled the pin. I also know other discussions the league has had with country teams down in the South Western region about forming a cluster team to enter at a higher level over the coming years.
Still stand by my comment that yes communication is important obviously- but if anyone thinks a basketball league should be telling people about confidential discussions regarding certain teams then that's just crazy.
Some big things coming out of the South-West over the new few years- wait and see.

Reply #389128 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

You guys realise BV do not run the BigV don't you?

Reply #389129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cluster teams dont work. They just breed politics and destroy the game.

Hope it dosent happen for the sake of the community clubs.

Reply #389164 | Report this post

H  
Years ago

Is there any relationship between BV and Big V

Also really excited about having two country teams in the d2m comp.
who will be strongest out of the two, Horsham or Shep?

Reply #389337 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

There is a relationship H, but what people don't often realise about Victoria is that the two "state competitions", being VJBL and BigV are separately administered and effectively governed by their own clubs.

The BigV go even further than VJBL. They are a separate legal organisation. I think it works in some way as though BV give them the license to run it but then leave it to them.

Reply #389379 | Report this post

Champ  
Years ago

Is the Big V still leaglly reconsised as VBL inc. ?

From what I have seen it works well with BV giving them the freedom to manage the competition. You would assume that the have merged. VJBL is closely involved with Big V to an extent. Especially seeing the YL and DL

Reply #389573 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

As far as I know BigV is still legally VBL Inc.

Reply #389588 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Shep are looking Very Strong from what I am hearing.

Reply #390672 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754