Hurls
Years ago

Any news on Adelaide Arena?

Hey, does anyone have any news about whats happening with Adelaide Arena? I mean, if we lose it it will almost definitely spell the end of the 36ers..

Topic #30031 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Adelaide Arena was in the news last week with the story of that bikie fight that broke out at a kick-boxing tournament there.

A few more strategically timed kick-boxing fights at AA could do wonders to lower the price.

Mr Investor: "This place looks alright"

Comm Bank muppet: "Yeah it's a great multi-purpose venue"

Mr Investor: "What's that happening there ringside?"

CBM: "Oh that's just Fred from the Gypsy Jokers hugging Bazza from the Hells Angels"

Mr Investor: "Okay but but is that a gun?"

Reply #389009 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I wouldn't say just yet that it would be the end of the 36ers IF the Adelaide Arena is made unavailable to them next year. But what alternate venues are there in Adelaide?

The Netball SA Stadium is way too small as it only holds 3,000 with one end of the court having a wall beyond the baseline and no seating. Playing there wouldn't make sense since it holds less than the 36ers worst home crowd so far this year (3,696 v Perth). We moved from Apollo to the Powerhouse because Apollo was too small and its basketball capacity was 3,000.....

The Entertainment Centre has the capacity to hold about 10,000 (the 2010 ANZ netball GF had a crowd of 9,300) but the problem there is date clashes. The AEC makes more sense if the 36ers are forced to move but the NBL would have to fit games around the numerous concerts and events held there and that would be a nightmare. Still, its more central and has public transport stopping right out the front so who knows? IMO its the only other venue in Adelaide which would be anywhere near acceptable.

Hopefully though a buyer can be found who will let the 36ers stay at the Adelaide Arena and not turn it into something like a church (one article I've read said that the owners of the Paradise Church were a prospective buyer: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/adelaide-arena-takes-a-leap-shot-of-faith/story-fndo471r-1226463085301).

Hopefully the arena will remain the home of the 36ers and basketball in South Australia.

Reply #389010 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's dangerous to extrapolate anything.

One of the things the Sixers have done is brought on board the local state member as well as the Mayor of the Local Council.

Even if a Church did buy it, there are still a lot of planning issues to consider. It is currently used as a sporting arena and any change of use would require a Development Application to be lodged with the local council. The DA would be deemed to be a Category 3 (Non-Complying) development and as such would need to be advertised etc.

Should a church start operating as a church then it is potentially in breach of the Development Act (1993) and could face an infringement notice issued upon it.

The smart thing to do if the Church would not negotiate with the Sixers would be to drag this DA out by lodging public complaints. The Council is obliged to seek a response from the developer in this regard and then I'm sure there's a few other fans who would join me in being a pebble in their shoe until they reached an agreement with the Sixers.

Reply #389019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should a church start operating as a church then it is potentially in breach of the Development Act (1993) and could face an infringement notice issued upon it.

With all due respect Don Farrell and the shoppies run this state and I'm sure they would have no qualms about overturning stuff like this.

Reply #389020 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Putting a fair amount of faith in the development assessment process Jack.

Have you looked at the holes and contradictions of the relevant 'Stadium Zone' policies that relate to the land that accommodates Adelaide Arena.

I hold concerns that a half respectable planning consultant could make a valid case for a change of use to "Place of Worship" or "Ministry Centre" being a minor change to the use of the facility and possibly avoid a public notification process.

Reply #389021 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

How do you suggest they would do that Anon? and why?

Jack, for what its worth, no applications have been lodged to a change the use of the Arena since it went on sale (well there is no listing in the Development Application register prior to November).

I would have expected an application would have been lodged by now if a church were serious about the facility. There has been plenty of time to do so and its not the type of purchase an organisation would make in the hope of getting approval after acquiring it.

Reply #389022 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'We'd share it with Basketball , but the council own the carpark, and there are rules that favour basketball there. We're not interested anymore.'
I heard somebody from paradise say.

Reply #389023 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

BigAds, they might be in for a surprise then.

Reply #389029 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

If it turns into a church.. trust me. Il make all hell break lose! theyll need the second coming when I am done with them!

Reply #389036 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

here is an opportunity for hillsong to buy it, develop it and when its a sunday, they can sing to high heaven. other to that, we all can enjoy the game, just not on sundays

Reply #389293 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:08 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754