sixtiesrockstar
Years ago

NBL Programme

Who is in charge of the NBL programme. Did they look at it in regards to marketing, TV, etc? Take this weekends round. Three games on Friday night, nothing on a Saturday and two games on Sunday. Round 2 was 3 Friday games, 1 Sunday. Round 4 was 2 Friday, 2 Sunday. Round 5 was 2 Friday and 3 Sunday games. I could'nt make this up if I tried and it would be funny if it wasn't I wasn't being serious.. Most professional leagues look to spread over the weekend to gain exposure. Is it too hard to program games over a weekend, or am I missing something with the way they are promoting and producing the fixture that other sports don't know about.

Topic #30066 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're missing the one factor all sports program to now. TV

What days is the NBL on TV? Oh that's right Friday and Sunday.

Hole that clears it up for you.

Reply #389525 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Anon - the NBL would determine the season fixtures based on a plethora of factors, not just simply what days Channel 10 has agreed to broadcast the two weekly games: marketing, venue availability etc etc.

It's interesting to look at the distribution of Saturday games (these numbers are from the original NBL broadcast schedule):
Rounds 1-8: 5
Rounds 9-24: 18

There must be some reason for that spread, in addition to just the number of games held midweek or Saturday.

Reply #389530 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Id imagine the A-League schedule would surely impact on the way the NBL schedules games.

e.g. If Adelaide United are playing Saturday night in Adelaide, they are not going to schedule a 36ers game then.

Reply #389531 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Also remember the Blaze were meant to play this season.

But the reason for little to no Saturday games is mainly because of TV.

I like it when it works out like this round. I live in NSW, so on NBL TV this afternoon i get to see ALL games.
5:30 - NZ Vs Melbourne
8:30 - Townsville Vs Adelaide
9:30 - Perth Vs Sydney

Sure Perth/Townsvile overlap. But i can watch Perth game on TV and Townsville on NBL Tv at the same time.

It sucks when they're all in NSW/Vic and they all overlap!

Also leaves my Saturday nights free

Reply #389545 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Remember how many teams play out of shared venues. Makes it tough and that is why teams don't play at home for a month etc.

Reply #389546 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:15 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754