pnp
Years ago

mavericks are pathetic and petty

just heard news today of a new rule the eastern mavericks committie has placed for their mavs players that are also involved in country basketball (mostly those who play murray bridge, eastern hills and victor harbor)

the rule in a nutshell is
mavs players are only allowed to miss 2 trainings to play in their country association teams tournaments leading up to country state champs

im so annoyed at this rule being put in place as due to the fact that mavs get most of their players from country associations
this puts an effect on the time the association coachs get to see players before country state champs and possible affecting the players position in the association team if they were trying to get in the division 1 team within the association

i also dont see how mavs can stab these associations in the back, without these players the mavericks basketball club would have never been able to get started.

with this being put in place it has put pressure and stress on the players and parents who want to do both, because this basicly makes them have to choose to the two teams due to if the dont go to mavs training they will be dropped

where the associations are accomadating due to the fact that they organise their trainings around mavs training and allow players to play their mavs games over playing thier association games

my belief is that children playing at least 4 games (not including their mavs game friday night)will gain more benefit than having a hour and a half training on sunday which could be a pathetic training session anyways

now i have been involved in basketball my whole life so i have understanding into the world and i have played both country and district basketball and coached both and am a mid level basketball umpire

i would love to know what other clubs who have country players do about country tournaments and if players are penalised for missing trainings for country tournaments

Topic #30094 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

other clubs dont play in the metro competition and bleed country players - so if want to play in Metro competitions abide by the Mavs rules too many times Mavs been too soft

Reply #389880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Mavericks, and its been a long time coming. I think you will also find that the quality Adelaide clubs would be even stricter.

So you think Mavericks teams are going to be competitive having essentially 3 Sunday Trainings over this summer season? with no midweek) And a disrupted winter with SAC commitments. (which is a waste of time)

Remember Adelaide clubs train mid week as well.

My child last year had under 35 trainings in total for an entire year at Eastern, its a wonder they can even compete in Div 1.

Reply #389884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any other club wouldn't allow you to miss any training at all without some kind of penalty, especially for a local, school or association team.

Reply #389903 | Report this post

pnp  
Years ago

seeing as i have associates in other clubs
i know that country players do play in other clubs such as eagles sturt and norwood
and they take these players on knowing that they will have county commitments throught out the year including during winter seaseon

Reply #389908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt, Forestville etc will make some allowances for for far country players but near ones will be expected to train and not show up to practice randomly. If its a problem pnp the players can decide district or association.

Reply #389915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this is ridiculous by the mavs. I'm involved with another club. Country tournaments are over SUMMER season.

As Ken Cole mentioned over the weekend too many primadona coaches spend too much time on xs and os, and drills rather than letting the kids play games. Basketball isn't rocket science and it gets overcomplicated sometimes.

Let the kids play games FFS. Nothing better than representing your home association.

If the mavs cant run an effective training with a few players missing due to country commitments then they have bigger issues to solve.

Reply #389920 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Is very annoying when country kids can't make district trainings. The coaches can't teach specific plays due to absences and this disrupts the rest of the team. Particularly annoying when they can't make it to actual games as teams are left short and can't bring up players or they'll leave them short of players as well. Think they should just choose one or the other so coaches who give up their valuable time can just get on with it. Its not an ideal situation for all parties involved. Thoughts???

Reply #389928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its not a few players missing its 75 %

Reply #389934 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Mavericks this is the situation you have endorsed so you near to go with it - kids come into play cONUTRY CHAMPS and disappear after back to football - havent you learnt as you neglect your loyal local lads

Reply #389948 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

conutry ?

Reply #389950 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The above applies to all clubs who bring in country kids. Then they wonder why the loyal ones leave. Wake up and do something about it before its too late. We want the numbers increasing, not decreasing.

Reply #389952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

plenty of other clubs will have you, Morphett Vale isnt that far a drive from Mt Barker!!

Reply #389959 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am in support of the Mavs on this one in principle. For a district team to be successful, a team needs to train as a team. It is a completely untenable position if players do not attend trainings. Players don't know plays and coaches can't improve techniques. No matter how good a player is, if they do not attend training, it affects the team. Having one standard for one, and one for another just doesn't work. You can't have players who don't attend any trainings, then stroll in on a Friday night.

Having said that, the Mavs are well known for their strong links with nearby country associations and one would expect that they would have consulted with those associations as having strong country associations feeding Mavs only helps Mavs.

Reply #389974 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

Mavericks have never consulted with any of the Assoications that provide them with 90-100% of its player base.

Reply #390009 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well, that's pretty dumb isn't it.

Reply #390020 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Those assocsications have done wonders to date then by the look of it... Do what you've always done, you'll always get the same results?

Reply #390045 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Not sure why clubs go down this path. It simply does not work. You are correct Jack in that coaches cannot run plays etc. Its even worse when they can't make it to actual games due to country commitments. Players get resentful particularly when the kids don't understand game plans. It cannot be on -the -job training either. It's a no -win situation.

Reply #390046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pnp, your views are very seem to be very skewed. You are correct in most players come from the local associations, but not specifically their association representative team.

Have you thought about how many Mavericks trainings must be compromised by the association & other commitments these players have.
Lets have a look at the number of these compromised trainings in the lead up to the Basketball SA State Championships -
- SAC High Peformance Camp for U16 & U18 (1 training)
- Association tournaments (lets say 2 trainings although I know of some wanting to play in 5 tournaments)
- SA Country Championships (1 training)
- Local association Grand Final (1 training, although not all associations hold their Grand Finals on the same Sunday)
- SAC training (lets say 2, although this varies depending on the age group)

That's 7 training's that are compromised, all before the May State Championships.

You may be aware that Mavs don't train midweek to allow the players to play in their local association competitions - that is to support their local association - not stab them in the back. So out of around 22 possible trainings prior to the May State Champs, Mavs will have the opportunity to train as a whole squad around 15 times.

Maybe Mavericks should train midweek as well I hear you say. That's a great call - we either make them choose between the two or we further increase these players commitments and watch them burn out with fatigue.

If we all look at the bigger picture of what is best for the players, maybe basketball would be in a better place.

Reply #390073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, play at the highest level. OR go and find the grass is not greener on the other side.

Reply #390078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ultimate success of both the near country associations and the Mavericks, will only fully be a reality when they all learn to work together and draw divissions like this chain of comments is doing.

The Mavericks compete at the highest level posible in SA and when they qualify Australia at the Australian Club Champs.

No one has ever questioned the path way wich for most Mavs kids starts at local, then association then Mavs.

If these young athletes wish to achieve ABL, WNBL or even Australia than the path through the district competition is essential, and should be catered for.

Reply #390079 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Silly question - WHY do clubs take country players knowing they cannot attend trainings and games??? Someone PLEASE help me understand. If clubs like Sturt, Forestville and Norwood are doing this there has to be a rationale. Can understand if there are exceptional players but from what I 've seen, some of these country players have limited skills so again I must ask WHY?

Reply #390085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon, Mavs are a country based club, and most of their local players play in these associations.

As for the metro based clubs, 1. players seek them to further develop and enhance their skills and basketball futures as they do at the Mavs, 2. As well the metro based clubs and Mavs seek some exceptional or prospect exceptional players and their families to enhance their teams and club.

Reply #390098 | Report this post

Vodka 71  
Years ago

I understand that most country kids that play for Mavs & represent their home assocations in Country tournaments. Drive through the early hours of morning, or through the night to play in these carnivals after their Friday night fixtures.

There are very few tournaments that impact, and Assocation teams work around their Mavs commitments.
These carnivals have always been at the same time each year, so why would Mavs be pro-active & scedule mid-week trainings over this period. State training (Metro or Country) is the same at every club. The SASI Camp/Country HP Camp is early October/late September, so this doesnt hit hard at all!

Mavs are country based, and were formed from the Murray Bridge Bullets & Eastern Hills Hornets. These clubs still exsist, but Mavs dont acknowledge them, nor communicate with them.

The BSA competition is the best comp in the State, so those that commit need to understand what is required. My daughter played at Mavs but we decided to go elsewhere due to the lack of direction or quality coaching. If you are unhappy choose another club, and discuss what is required with the JDO before you committ to play. Mavs will eventually disapear, they have always focused on their Seniors and cared very little for their juniors.

Pack up & move now!!!!

Reply #390175 | Report this post

Jax  
Years ago

I fully support the stance that the Mavs have taken here. I've been a coach at Mavs (in the past) & it's been a logictical nightmare trying to get any continuity with your team when you cant get regular trainings with all of your team members. The Mavs have been most accommodating to country associations (carnivals) in the past which has been to their own detriment at times. A line needed to be drawn in the sand at some point & I commend the Mavs heirachy for doing so. The may be a natural attrition rate with this policy but I believe this stance will only make the Mavs stronger in the long term!

Reply #390177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodka 71

it sounds like you have had a bad experiance in the past so the rest is with respect.

You are wrong in at least a couplke of areas

1. Many Mavs people, coaches, players, parents and committee members are very heavily involved in country associations as well as the Mavs program

2. Mavs are passionate about their junior development, and nothing prides them more than seeing one of their juniors succeed both as juniors and later in their careers, like many have.

But you are correct, the Mavs senior coaching staff and committee need to make decissions from time to time, not all are popular to everyone, and at that point individuals need to make decissions for them selves.

But there is no club more accommodating to their country athletes than the Mavs

Reply #390254 | Report this post

Vesta 93  
Years ago

I am in agreement with Mavs on this policy. How are they suppose to move their club forward if they don't start placing some rules and getting their best players to training and games.

From what I have heard on the grapevine is that Eastern Hills and Great Southern are supportive of the policy.

On the issue of training mid week, there is just no where to train at the moment with the Eastern Hills assoc social comps at full capacity and no court space.

pnp - Why are you so annoyed at the new policy? Are you a parent or association coach, how does this effect you? Have you had any communication with anyone on the Mavericks committee to talk about your concerns or have you just come on the this board to have a bitch?

Vodka 71 - just to correct you Mavs were formed by the merger of the Bullets and the Mount Lofty Spurs (which no longer exists) not the Eastern Hills Hornets.

Reply #390258 | Report this post

GHill  
Years ago

Anon. You are obviously too heavily involved in your own "basketball" world
And I wonder if you are trying to fulfil your aspirations through one of
Your children. Poor form to start with! Mavericks make no secret of the expectation
Of their players. The district competition is far better period than any
Country Carnival and the opportunity for development is far more convincing.
In regards to the Hornets program it is somewhat compromised in many areas.
Many aware of this forum would suggest that you maybe part of the problem and
Not the solution and again this type of undermining behavior you exhibit is
Typical of the problems and credibility issues you may have created within
The Hornets camp. End of the day the commitment to Mavs should not come as a
Surprise. There are two compulsory camps and one falls on a long weekend
So there is no Mavs training! Pull your head out of your a..e and accept that Mavs
Is a better level. In regards to Hornets until the kids are selected on their ability
And not your opinion the program is doomed to failure.

Reply #390287 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

As a country parent at a metro club I am amazed that mavs have such a limited training schedule. Surely any country association trainings can be scheduled to not clash with metro trainings - not that hard !!! Our association does it !!
We miss a couple of Sunday trainings for carnivals but make this up by attending Tuesday nights in metro - a 300 klm round trip
SAC is a bigger problem with training sessions from morphetvale on a sat night to Murray bridge on a Sunday morning , a session which could easily be shifted to allow attendance at metro trainngs !
most of the country players would be attending dnsp trainings midweek as well , so like most country players they would be training as much as their metro counterparts just not as a team

Reply #391634 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:39 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754