skip
Years ago

New Orleans possibly changing name to Pelicans?

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/12/4/3728978/new-orleans-hornets-nickname-change-pelicans

Strange choice if true? I've always loved the name hornets.

Topic #30122 | Report this topic

Cera77  
Years ago

I also like Hornets but Pelicans is pretty cool too.

Reply #390354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh god please let this come true.

Reply #390356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

side note hornets would go back to charlotte

Reply #390357 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I like it. I think teams get it wrong when they try and pick "tough" sounding nicknames. Imagine the logo/merch possibilities with this name. Much better than the Heat/Magic/Lightning/Power type names. It is relevant to the city as well. This way the "Hornets" can go back to their rightful home. Now if only Utah would change it's stupid name.

Reply #390363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Orleans really should be the Jazz. Maybe Utah could change to Pelicans

Reply #390364 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Utah should change it to the Blizzard. It's cold and VERY white.

Reply #390365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets get the lakers off of LA as well

Reply #390367 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Read an article on ESPN the other day about Jordan considering a Charlotte change to the Bobcats if New Orleans changed name.

Reply #390371 | Report this post

herechenes  
Years ago

I really hope this doesn't happen, but it wouldn't surprise me. I went to a game in NO this year, and they were selling vintage Charlotte Hornets gear at the Hornets team shop, like Larry Johnson singlets.

Not sure where my allegiance would lie if this happens... do you follow the franchise, or the mascot, or...?

Reply #390378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flamin Homer - Follow the mascot...

Reply #390381 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Flamin Homer, or Dancing Homer?

Drink or mascot.

Hope MJ changes back to the Hornets..bloody George Shinn, never should have got a franchise in the first place!

Reply #390387 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

needs to be Charlotte Hornets for sure. Mugsy Bogues, Kendall Gill, LJ, Alonzo Mourning, cool franchise with cool players back in the day.

Reply #390392 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Dell Curry, man he was a shooter.

Reply #390393 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Don't start me on the Charlotte Hornet and douche bag George Shinn.... He screwed a dynasty... If NO give up 'hornets' it should go back to Charlotte. The NBA own the name and my sweet retro LJ jersey becomes relevant again.

I hate the Bobcats name.. Absolutely freaking hate it... Naming a franchise after yourself if damn wrong.

Reply #390405 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Utah should relinquish jazz name and become the utah whites

Reply #390406 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I knew you would fire up when I mentioned the Shinn word TR!
I still have an old LJ singlet as well, so old they didnt put names on them, just the team name on the back.

Should have got a George Zidek jersey ha ha ha ha.

Reply #390410 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'll take your George Zidek jersey and raise you a Kelly Tripucka jersey and his "dick" sneaker story...

Reply #390427 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Guys seriously, you have to understand that going back to old names can also be marketing poison. Remember in Australia when the Titans went back to the Giants? Or when the Razorbacks changed its name to the Spirit? And while both teams probably would have gone broke anyway, the name changes certainly accelerated the clubs downfall.

People on this board who suggest the Utah Jazz should change their name are laughable. While it's true the Jazz relocated to Utah from the New Orleans and the Jazz has nothing to do with Utah the name has certainly grown on the fan base, just as the Lakers have grown on LA.

The NBA gets final say on name changes and frankly I say rightly so. It's like when Jordan changed his number back from 45 to 23, it was a kick in the stomach to the fans that went out and bought a Michael Jordan 45# jersey. The NBA correctly fined Jordan $25 000 for the change. I think the NBA could show stronger resistance to potential teams looking to change there names then you think.

Reply #390858 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Pelicans... Seriously???

Because their mouth can hold more than their belly-can!

Reply #394269 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754