clarky
Years ago

Sixers release CJ Massingale

Just saw this tweet come up in my timeline...

RT: @rangaMITCH: So, the Adelaide 36ers have released import CJ Massingale from his playing contract #NBL

Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Topic #30125 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Keep sacking all the indians & leave the Chief in tact. How long b4 u cretins wake up?

Reply #390431 | Report this post

Mika  
Years ago

Good move, when we cutting pero v also?

Reply #390432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/teams/36ers/news/article/article/2012/december/massingale-released-by-36ers/

36ERS WEBSITE AT 5:42PM

The Adelaide 36ers made the difficult decision to release CJ Massingale from his contact today.

Head Coach Marty Clarke advised 36ers management of his recommendation to let Massingale go.

The Coach's recommendation was then taken to the Adelaide 36ers board where it was approved.

Massingale came to the Adelaide 36ers from SEABL team, the Knox Raiders.

Head Coach Marty Clarke said that it was in the best interests of the team to part ways.

"CJ showed promise at the pre-season tournament, but the intensity of the game increases throughout the regular season and we have a goal to achieve. The club has set a firm objective for the team this season which is to be in the top 4 come April and it is my job to ensure this happens."

Adelaide 36ers CEO Leeanne Grantham said that the Club would like to thank CJ for his time at the 36ers.

"We wish CJ and his family all the best for the future. This decision was not something that was taken lightly and we were guided by Marty’s recommendation."

The Club is currently weighing up options on a replacement player.

Reply #390433 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

"We were guided by MARTY's recommendation?"

I trust Marty has someone better lined up to replace CJ.

Reply #390434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harsh but if we has someone good in mind for a replacement I do not mind. Maybe an athletic, good shooting wing?

Reply #390435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good move, that opens up an import spot

Reply #390436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last roll of the dice by a faltering coach I suspect. He would know the guillotine is inching closer and if he doesn't do well with this lineup this season not only will the 36ers decline to re-sign him next season but he would be unlikely to get a HC in the league again.

We all know CJ was on bugger all money so it's not worth it as a cost cutting measure, they need CJ's 10 points rating. Either a new import or a good aussie/kiwi you would think. Taking a flyer on another cheap-ish import more likely I'd think.

Reply #390437 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

This is ridiculous and a poor cop out by Clarke and the organisation.

This is probably how the conversation went

Clarke: "Radford what shall we do we are really looking bad!?"

Radford: "Lets sack CJ that way we can say at the end when we don't go so well that the team struggled as we had to let an import go mid season"

Clarke: "Excellent and this means we can give Weigh 5 more minutes per game!"

CJ was probably paid the least out of all imports out there and given the least minutes. So its not like they can bring in another import as they wont accept what CJ is getting. What do they hope to gain by this? Do they think giving Crosswell more minutes will improve the team that is struggling for offense?

Reply #390438 | Report this post

No dresses for me  
Years ago

What news stations are going to pick this story up when the release is sent when the broadcast partner is on air and the other channels would have their nights stories locked and loaded.

Reply #390439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely they would have to have a more accomplished (expensive) player in mind. Otherwise it would just be pointless.

Reply #390440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont agree, signing an all ausy line up with a budget import was sound, now the club can bring a true import in at lower overall cost
CJ was given an oportunity that was well deserved, but unfortunately was a 10 point player, the club obviously had to free up the 10 points

Reply #390441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They better bring in a good import and actually PLAY them atleast 20 mins a game, hopefully as starting sg and slide Gibson to PG.

CJ, thanks for your efforts, a little harsh imo, you did ok for the court time you got, so thank you.

What was the reason for releasing him? someone better in mind, not performing in training to earn the court time? could hardly judge him on his limited game time, but i guess the coaches may have justified a reason for it being limited.

Im hoping we get a Farley type gun scoring sg, and actually play him, that could turn the season around.

Would they have someone ready by the weekend? this is an important stretch with 5 games in 3 weeks, imo we should win atleast 3 of them, but wouldnt be surprised if we only win 1 or 2 on past form.

If this move doesnt work out i definately think its time to change coach, no more excuses, and pick the imports properly, we have had a high turnover the last few years.

Reply #390444 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

where is a good imports salary going to come from?

Reply #390445 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The only way this decision is acceptable is if CJ requested to leave which I doubt or if he was a disruptive team mate which I doubt also.

The club now has two options:

1. Bring in another player for limited money which wont get many talented players interested in the offer. Also worst of all this means the club WILL not, no matter how bad the rest of the season goes, replace Clarke.

2. Keep the current team and hope Crosswell develops an offensive game and Marty has an excuse at the end of the year.

Reply #390446 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"We wish CJ and his family all the best for the future. This decision was not something that was taken lightly and we were guided by Marty's recommendation."

Marty being given even more rope with which to hang himself ?!!~

Methinks the CEO has begun to informally look at coaching resumes for next season.

Reply #390447 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Nine news are pretty good - ran the story
' a victim of higher expectations , following 2 narrow losses on the weekend '

Reply #390448 | Report this post

Moon  
Years ago

Marty Clarke is a crap coach. CJ too much class for Adelaide anyway. How about release Clarke for constant poor performance over 3 years?

Reply #390449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is CJ's replacement likely to be? any rumours? i saw on the andthefoul website mention of a few former NBLers being looked at along with some new faces, anyone got any info?

Most importantly will they be able to play this weekend? and will they likely be a significant upgrade on CJ?

Reply #390451 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

This is pathetic. CJ was never given the minutes to actually show what he could do. This is simply a cop out by a horrible coach who is looking to blame everyone but himself. How can a guy perform in 2 minute slots.

If he is saying that we need a better player then why didn't he get one at the start of the season.

I am so fed up with this club right now following Sydney and Shane Heal actually looks more enjoyable.

Reply #390452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol yea sad to say it i reckon most 36ers fans would rather Heal as coach right now as shocking as that might sound, given many 36ers fans have a strong dislike of Heal, the player at least.

Heal looks to have the goods to me so far this season anyway, has his team playing hard all game everygame and winning games they shouldnt, maybe Marty should take notes from Hammer.

Reply #390453 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Fire Clarke. Do it today. Do not wait. End the pain for the supporters who have stuck by the club when they are, quite frankly, are no longer deserving of such support.

Reply #390454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so over the sixers

Reply #390455 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Scapegoat found. Sure not setting the world alight, but like creek thats hard when you rot on the bench.

Reply #390456 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He hires DeVries Winder Howard Shannon Warren Simpson CJ , then doesn't like them .

Reply #390457 | Report this post

Dragonfly  
Years ago

Marty Clarke what an absolute joke....do not treat your fans as uneducated... That, we are not..CJ was one of the back bones of the team and you sitting him on the bench reflected the cowardly approach that Phil smyth took back in the 90s when he wanted to release Rupert Sapwell and Paul Maley.... what a cowardly approach to sit them on the bench so they draw no stats!!!

Like Phil Smyth this is not your playing career, you need to think of the team and the fans involved... Looking at the media release it is easy to read that the club does not support your opinion! An all Australian team of Australian talent is a pathetic way of calling for an all white line up... Again a cowardly decision and obviously you are being challenged by your lack of skill and desperation to keep your job.

How about putting your set on the line and not using the sixers an an avenue to pay your bills. To the owners, do not think that you can save money by putting a cheap engine in your car...wake up and give the fans the respect they deserve. We were there in the hey day and still loyal!

I am tired of Imports being cut... You only have to look at the 80s and 90s and those words from educated and confident coaches like Ken Cole and Don Shipway who were both highly respected by their players and peers to see that the imports are a major contributor to this product and the fans will pay and the media will get on board with the skill and professionalism that they bring to the game.

Enough with churning through our imports you did not play him in the whole second half and we asked questions...what a terrible time to cut a player ... Please do not use the lines that we are settling or gelling as a new team in future...Phil run us down with those...stick that Marty.,.do not put your hand up for the role if you cannot deliver your KPIs.

I am disappointed in a lot of Australian performances around the league but suck it up princess.. Do you see us fans blaming the Asian, Americans or Italian staff member in our workplace..NO..that is NOT how we handle our business..,that is racist and discriminatory... You were put in place with Redhage to run this ship cause you said you could....step up to the plate Marty and show us what you're being paid for or get out of the kitchen!!

A very angry long and true fan!!!

Reply #390458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play this weekend? You can't be serious. If that does occur then they have planned to cut CJ weeks ago.
Piss poor effort from Clarke to scout CJ as the.y player they wanted and then cut him. Never been a fan of CJ, and his ability to play at NBL level was unclear. One good game. Whoever this treatment of CJ is terrible.
If they have the money as people seem to think they have, why not do it before? All along we have heard plent of spare points but no spare money.
Clarke you have had your last shot.

Reply #390460 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Not a bad move as CJ really didn't find a role in the team (except for 1 quarter where he showed what we hoped he could do).
It's not the right move, but at least it's a move. Clarke keeps his job at the expense of yet another import. There's 2 scapegoats you can use in basketball, the import or the coach. We've gone down the import path what? 7, 8 times since Clarke has been around. Sure, most of them weren't the right fit, but 1 guy had a big hand in signing, not finding a way to make them work, then sacking them. That's Marty. He should go, with or without CJ, leave that up to the new coach.
For the first time ever, I actually want to see the Sixers crash and burn this year. The worst thing that could possibly happen is this new import comes in, dominates and we finish third or second (if we win the championship, all will be forgotten). Then we will see Marty get a new contract and the game will continue for the next 3 years or so.

Reply #390471 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Cant do much with the minutes provided and especially when your not seeing the ball.This will be a nice little smoke screen for Clarke.Be surprised if he is there next year.Cant say he hasnt got the cattle to give it a shake.

Reply #390474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports during the Marty Clarke era (less than 2.5 seasons):

Craig Winder
Troy De Vries
Eddie Shannon
Ron Howard
John Williamson
Chris Warren
Diamon Simpson
CJ Massingale

Reply #390475 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

And the real tribute to Marty in that list is that each one of those guys got less productive the more time they spent with him.

Reply #390476 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

The worst part of this is that Daly will be back in the 10.......

Reply #390477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good job anonymous starting a Ihate Marty thread. In case you dont know Rob Beverage isnt a Sixers coach. Kinda pointless your rage has blinded you.

Reply #390478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We were bagging CJ last month for shooting air balls and turning it over, you can't have it both ways people.

Reply #390479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He he he...thanks for that, got carried away with the Rob Beverage comment lol. What I don't understand is why Isaac seems to consider a legitimate page as a comment that should be deleted. Why shouldn't the members be allowed to influence the club?

Reply #390482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CEO needs to grow some balls,or better still do your job and sign some new sponsors.

Reply #390484 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"We're looking for a guy who can go off the dribble and create for himself.

"CJ was a good catch-and-shooter."

Odd that since Friday night CJ drove to the basket twice, scored once and I think was fouled the second then was instantly subbed out.....

Reply #390485 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon '482, what are you talking about?

Skud, further, why not pick the right guy from the beginning if CJ didn't provide the right game?

If they've identified a gap in the roster and think they can fill it better with someone else, then fair enough and sadly the easiest to replace is CJ. But say you want someone who can attack the basket, why not play Creek?

I would hope that this is a case of "OK Marty, we'll do it, but it will be publically clear that it's your request, and it will be your last chance. We've been more than fair."

The comment further up about the string of imports is pretty telling. None of those guys were Showron Glover. They all were reasonably capable and had their moments but for "whatever reason" weren't enough to get wins. A couple of times you could excuse, but surely after this many Marty could start to look for a common element in these results?

No historical results backing him up. No media-friendly personality. No favour with the fans. The one thing he seems to have is support from the playing group (Jason Cadee has just come out in his defense on Twitter when he could've said nothing if he had concerns). The 36ers cannot afford an exodus of players now or in the off-season.

Reply #390486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have deleted the Facebook link to sack Marty Clark Twice now.

Reply #390487 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Interesting development, wonder how many people within the playing group saw this coming?

I can't say it wasn't predicted, there were many posts on this forum suggesting he wouldn't last.

I've got mixed thoughts about the decision, but I'm more curious what was going on behind closed doors for the key players in the organisation to reach their decision, especially given his limited opportunities.

I'm also intrigued by what will happen next however I've seen enough of this soap opera to have a pretty good idea that the bad guy will be allowed to run free and cause more havoc.

Reply #390488 | Report this post

Dragonfly  
Years ago

CEO, Bonz and Sky are fantastic, they know their craft and work tirelessly for the club, especially Leanne. It's hard when you are led by those that unfortunately know nothing about the game but have kindly invested in keeping us afloat!

Reply #390489 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon '487, bullshit. I've seen one Facebook link about sacking Marty in the Kings game thread and that's still there. Haven't seen any others.

If it was posted as a new topic, maybe another moderator thought there were enough Marty threads already that could be used. I haven't deleted any such links - been out until a few minutes ago.

But thanks for the blame. And why not stick to existing threads - we've had dozens of threads about sacking Marty.

Reply #390490 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Players constantly support their coaches even when they know how bad they are, often asked to do so by the club. Taylor Walker shows support for Neil Craig until the day he was sacked and his effort on the ground suddenly skyrocketed. The Crows are a clear case of a bad coach bringing a team down.

Odd though how much Craig and Clark are alike, both have bad personalities to the public and are stubborn as hell and refuse to admin fault themselves.

Reply #390491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac I have posted it in this topic twice. Sorry to name you directly but your the only moderator I know of.

I didn't and wont start a new thread with it, the Facebook page is simply an attempt at getting the club to see how many members and supporters want change. It may fail it may not.

Reply #390492 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Instead of linking to the page in almost all of the recently active threads, why not keep it to one of the many recent 'Sack Marty' threads which still receive regular comments.

Reply #390493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

expect Pero to go next.....heard a rumour that a guy name Derrell Waters was over hear the other week and worked out with the 6er's....not sure if that has any substance to it

Reply #390494 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I don't know why people want to bag the club for being proactive. From what I saw of CJ, he doesn't really look like he has the speed or athleticism to beat his man or get to the basket. This makes him strictly a spot up shooter and not what the Sixers really need to complement Gibson and Cadee in the backcourt.

The Sixers desperately need a guard who can consistently do in the half-court what Gibson, Cadee and Crosswell cannot: beat their man off the dribble and then create open shots when the help comes.

This would open up Luke for so many easy layups and get Gibson, Cadee, Weigh and Petrie a lot more wide open looks at a three - which is what they need, because none of them are good enough shooters to consistently knock it down when their shot is hurried by the defence.

As long as the club are willing to spend the money to get a guard who has the handle/ quickness to do this, then sacking CJ was the right move and one that shows how committed ownership is to being successful.

Reply #390495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I put it in the three topics whose discussion had become relevant to the page.I was actually very conscious about not spamming the site.

Reply #390496 | Report this post

No dresses for me  
Years ago

Dragonfly that is a pretty dumb thing to say, a lot of people with a lot of knowledge think otherwise

Reply #390497 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, I haven't deleted it and posting it in this thread is fine unless the FB page is ridiculous. Are you getting an error when posting?

Boti's story is up on Adelaide Now. Has a quote from Clarke saying they haven't really deeply looked into options. Either he's saying that to protect CJ or he's voluntarily going into the Perth game a man down for no real reason. Last time CJ played Perth in Adelaide, he had 18 points in as many minutes.

I can understand making the move if there is a replacement ready, but we have most roles well covered. One useful one was a catch-and-shoot closer. And CJ could be that.

Reply #390498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is bullshit! We have the best aussie pg in the nbl yet Marty wants to go get someone who can create there on shot. How about as a coach run some decent plays and get your team to execute them correctly. Marty needs to stop babying creek and creek needs to grow some balls and play basketball. Radford needs to piss of and the dj/luke use your bloody height.

Reply #390499 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Spiral continues and stinks of desperation. Thanks for setting this club back 3 years.

If you get a chance, ask Brett Maher what he thinks of Marty. He's spot on.

Reply #390500 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There you go anon, if you've posted it in three threads and anonymously, I don't mind Clarky deleting it. Anonymous posters don't really get benefit of the doubt.

The club can easily see what fans think about Marty by reading Hoops and looking at attendance figures. Doesn't really need a petition.

Reply #390501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The club can easily see what fans think about Marty by reading Hoops and looking at attendance figures. Doesn't really need a petition."

If they did that they would have acted last year lol.

http://www.facebook.com/SackMartyClark

If you think the FB page is ridiculous please tell me, but Hoops gets only dedicated fans, not the general public.

Reply #390502 | Report this post

Dragonfly  
Years ago

No Dresses For me...Really?? I'm in the know...elaborate..give examples!, it's not dumb..the owners are fans too...if they don't know better they can't call it out! This is not a crime on their behalf it's just pure reality. I think majority are uniting on their Marty views!

Reply #390504 | Report this post

@HD_Paul  
Years ago

Here's my take:

http://hoopdiary.com/cj-massingale-gone-too-soon/

No convo hijack intended, just some additional info.

Reply #390505 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Attendance has dropped consistently throughout Clarke's tenure. I struggle to find the motivation to go anymore, and I'm quite a fan of most of the players on our roster at the moment. But the team is just so poorly coached that it is borderline unwatchable. There is no atmosphere at games these days. And from Day One Clarke has come across as arrogant without any justification for being so. His media interviews could be held up as examples of exactly how not to represent oneself or the team. And that Sixers management has not done anything about this just reeks of ostrich syndrome.

Reply #390506 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Wow i posted first here thinking it was rumour & ive just got up 2 date. How embarassing for u all. Only 3 championships in a row can save him now! It's beyond a joke.........

Reply #390508 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

In my opinion Hammer out coached Clark on Sunday. His use of time outs to stop the flow of play in the last quarter was particularly good.
Bloody hell I've actually praised Shane Heal and his violet crumbles. Never thought I would do that. :-(

CJ is a scape goat and was never really what we wanted but deserved the shot.

Reply #390509 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The question is, how come Marty Clarke has such strong support by the players? If they've got these 'coaching clauses', why do they have it? if they're genuinely okay with the amount of minutes they're getting and their team mates are getting, why is that so? The team is talented, it's not winning, the coaching is visibly suspect, surely this would frustrate the players as well. They aren't just being silent about it, they aren't waiting for Clarke to hang himself, they are speaking out in his defence and seem to be a barrier between Clarke getting sacked and an exodus. Why is Clarke so popular among the players when they are not achieving what they ultimately should be achieving and should want to achieve!

Reply #390510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@dragonfly if you are in the know then you dont know too much , two of the three you have named barely have a relationship with the team and owners. Do yourself a favour and get a new source of information.

Reply #390511 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

Wow, this has really sparked some talk.

I also saw it covered on Ten news, just mentioned breifly as "Breaking News"

Surely the 36ers have no money, so it will have to be a budget move. Hopefully they don't go the Larry Abney route (ie old guy who used to be good) or another feeder league guy. CJ has been one of the best year-on-year. I'd also really hope they have someone ready to go.

It's clear Clarke is a respected teacher but you have to seriously question his ability to identify talent and how to use it. The import turnover is ridiculous and even though he's pulled in big names this year, it's clear he can't get them to mesh well.

I've written more here

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/12/join-club-cj.html

Reply #390512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is CJ was slow and injured.

Reply #390513 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HD Paul makes the point that this comes right on the two-month probation deadline meaning that the club can cut CJ without paying out his contract in full. They couldn't have left it another day.

You're also right in that the club have hung Marty out on this one and that would normally be a terrible show of disunity. But I think the club's out of patience.

That said, if you're giving someone one last chance, surely you ideally want them to pull through. And in that case, why damage their rep like this? Unless cutting CJ proves to be a masterstroke. Otherwise, if you don't care for their rep, then just pull the pin.

Reply #390514 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Can Clarke register Weigh as CJ's replacement and play him in two positions at once?

I don't see any other option for the much needed increase to Weigh's courtime outside of a return to a 48 minute format.

Reply #390515 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Mutley is spot on - I feel horrible that I have little motivation these days to go see my club play week to week.

Reply #390516 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

This really is sad - not so much that the club is looking to succeed and perhaps have an upgrade in mind, but that this crap coach blames a man for not contributing from the bench. He can't score or defend from there! If you weren't so busy strutting around with your head up your arse, you might see that! Grow a pair and say you stuffed up selecting CJ instead of blaming him for the team not being in the top 4. You are a disgrace.

Reply #390517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Darren Ng!

He will provide the 3 point shooter that Adelaide need.

People may question his defence, but he always gives it his all.

Will be useful as a 10-12 minute player.

Reply #390518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cj can shoot just aswell as ng

Reply #390519 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Wow, Marty was unable to get the best out of a veteren player, who would have seen that coming?

Where to from here? Our problem isn't that we're lacking good players, if we replaced CJ with an absolute gun then that would result in even less minutes to spread around.

I almost think that we'd be better off not getting anyone in to replace him unless someone gets a season ending injury, spreading minutes around 9 players was difficult so if we're down to 8 in the main rotation. Honestly though, I thought CJ had a lot to offer and I always liked it when he was on court, it's disappointing to see him go when he doesn't seem to be the problem from where I sit.

Reply #390520 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Loco, I wondered if Marty could player-coach. Even better!

Reply #390528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a great point about how the imports got progressively worse the more time they spent with Marty.

This statement is fact.

I understand that picking imports is difficult. A player might look great on tape but not turn out to be the player the team hoped for.

The issue with CJ is that he has been in Australia for years. Both Clarke and Radford are very familiar with the SEABL and therefore should have known exactly what they were getting.

They told us what to expect with CJ. He was going to be our 9th man who could hit the open shot and win us a game on the odd occasion.

He fulfilled this role. Can't get better stats when you play 9th man minutes and get 9th man shots.

What appears to be the case is that they are now looking for a starting calibre import SG.

That might work out well for the team but it still begs the question of why now?

They could have picked up a SG straight from college for cheap to play a bigger role if so desired.

What does this mean for Caddee? He gets to warm the bench with Creek.

I'm not a huge Creek fan but he surely can't be happy being confined to towel waver with Pero V.

36ers management is weak and have refused to listen to their fans the past two years. Very depressing.

I get the vibe at home games that even die hard fans are not upset when we lose in the hope that Clarke will be sacked.

Reply #390533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't get the most out of a veteran player in CJ when he is injured and too slow for NBL level play.

Reply #390534 | Report this post

woolypert  
Years ago

Throw in with the list of imports that have been shown the door. These Australian players.Herbert,
Holmes, Hill. Bruce,Ng,Helliwell,Carter,Dowdell. Some not playing at all now, others having decent impact. Must be galling for 36ers to have Holmes and Bruce play significant parts in last weeks
losses. The turn over of players is a disgrace, check out the imports, most are flourishing overseas.
These coaches need to be held accountable.

Reply #390537 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panic move by Marty? Knew the club wouldn't allow him any major changes and knows that if he doesn't make the post-season this time around he's done, so grabbed the opportunity presented by Massingale's probation coming up tomorrow and made it happen. Gives him one little card up his sleeve, whether anything comes of it or not.

Limited time recently for CJ could suggest it'd been planned for a little while?

Reply #390544 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

FACTS

Helliwell retired
Herbert retired
Ng retired
Carter moved to Sweden
Hill- you miss him?
Bruce - one good game out of three and replaced by Crosswell /Cadee
Holmes- a healthy Hinder away from being out of the league all together
Dowdell - now retired due to health issues
Shannon - retired

Simpson went from the 36ers to the NBA currently in Israel playing for the bottom side but leading the league in scoring

Warren - Pro B France 14ppg team is 11th in a 16 team comp

Winder - China good luck finding stats or info on him

Howard - still in the D League

not defending Clarke but at least get some perspective to your pitch fork

Reply #390548 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Sorry late to the party but a point I would like to bring up.

Who was credited for being the reason the 36ers beat the Wildcats in their first game against each other in Adelaide?

hmmm... wonder who is going to step up and drop those 18 points this time?

Reply #390558 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I feel CJ is perhaps a scapegoat here, but then again, "Life's Not Fair"

I thought the Press Release might have been:
"The Adelaide 36ers made the difficult decision to release Marty Clarke from his contact today.

Head Coach Marty Clarke advised 36ers management of his recommendation to let himself go.

The Coach's recommendation was then taken to the Adelaide 36ers board where it was approved.

Marty Clarke came to the Adelaide 36ers from the AIS.

Head Coach Marty Clarke said that it was in the best interests of the team to part ways.

"I showed promise, but the intensity of the game increases throughout the regular season and we have a goal to achieve. The club has set a firm objective for the team this season which is to be in the top 4 come April and it is my job to ensure this happens."

Adelaide 36ers CEO Leeanne Grantham said that the Club would like to thank Marty Clarke for his time at the 36ers.

"We wish Marty and his family all the best for the future. This decision was not something that was taken lightly and we were guided by Marty's recommendation."

The Club is currently weighing up options on a replacement coach."

Reply #390559 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Jack Toft i would like to like your post but this is not facebook. Spot on! Isaac atleast u give some reasonable politics. Don't forget this clown was also in London - no wonder B Brown gave it away.

Reply #390561 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Marty Clarke recommedended sacking CJ, how bout Clarke recommends sacking himself

Reply #390562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will get a GOOD IMPORT, include him IN THE ROTATION, and the 36ers will be a good team.

Reply #390566 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I have never seen a head coach who sends so many mixed messages. What was his thinking when he brought in a poorly paid import using up 10 points. He must have known he was not good, hence the salary he accepted, but why take up 10 points?

This really smells of Marty in deep shit struggling to keep his head above it.

Why has he recruited 2 people (Pero as well) this season that hardly has seen any court time? The deepest mystery to ever hit the 36ers is what's in that frazzled head of his. Nothing makes sense.

Reply #390568 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

10 points are what imports cost. They brought in what they thought was the best option for the money they had. Had loads of points to burn. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, do they have to play all 10 all the time? Countless people including Boti always talk about how they wish coaches would play smaller rotations. Pero is injury insurance. Club most have a ten man roster but doesn't have to play them.

Even two down through injury, Wollongong don't play Auryn much at all.

Reply #390569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right now there is a flood of imports coming onto the market. One would hope that Clarke and Radford can pick up a good one to get the job done. People are calling coaches from all over the world here in Australia right now. They will play for not much and somply want a job.
Next year once they prove themselves this season, they can ask for more of course.
No excuses now Marty. CJ was never going to get the job done. Catch and shoot yes, but you shold have already know that from years of watching him. However it's disgusting the way he has been treated now.

Reply #390571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Clarke gets rid of a guy, just before they play Perth. His only real noticebale oppourtunity he seized was againt perth where he took over in the 4th and won the game. Odd coach, very stubborn in his 22-44 ways.

Reply #390577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually smart move by Clarke, the more money he burns the club for now, the less chance he gets fired himself as theres no way they could afford another import and to cut ties with this amateur.

Reply #390578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe if Clarke and Radford have an "all white" team they will be better. They recruited CJ as a "spot up shooter" and then didn't run any kind of play to get him a shot... when you have supposedly the best PG in the league. That is his job. Then when the guy you recruited as a spot of shooter tries to put the ball on the floor and create shots to get himself going he gets told to be patient and not force stuff. It wouldn't have mattered who the player was that was spotting up in the corners on the 3pt line. It’s the same outcome for any “9th” player on the team.
Regardless of whom CJ’s replacement is it’s not going to matter. The rotations won’t change, because they can’t. Players on the team are guaranteed starting positions and minutes regardless of performance.

Reply #390580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a pity the club has no guts to sack Marty. But interestingly enough their comments can be read into and suggest they are letting clueless Marty hang himself. Their presser suggests anything lower than a top 4 finish spells bye bye Marty. Just not sure I can wait to the end of the season to farewell him!

Reply #390582 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Thats where im at, the club knows its over, there will be no contract renewal, its just a shame they arent financially strong enough to piss him off now and get started on the new culture as soon as possible. And who knows maybe even save a sinking season!

Reply #390591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

everyone should read the latest blog from Boti on his website. No more biting of the tongue that's for sure. Pretty much sums up the overall feeling of the supporters.

In the article he states that CJ was on less than $40,000. That's unbelievable really. If they are that pushed for cash how are they going to get someone else who could possibly push for starter minutes without getting other players to take a pay cut?

As other posters have already mentioned, what is most frustrating about this is the way Marty contradicts himself and always covers up his own failures. I have never seen a more stubborn coach.

At the start of the season we heard how CJ was a great spot up shooter and could add some real scoring punch as a sixth, seventh player on the depth chart. The coaches and everyone else knew exactly what he brought to the team, yet at no point during the season were plays regularly run to get CJ open shots.

Then as expected, when the season takes a little nose dive, the coach sacks him, claiming he needs someone who can create their own shot and penetrate the lane. Isn't that basically saying "I brought in a shooter, but it turns out I don't know how to use him, and can't create plays to get him shots so I'll just sack him."

From what I have heard the players do enjoy playing for Marty. Many of his former AIS guys say the same thing, but as Boti stated in his article, he just doesn't have what it takes come game night and over three years we have seen no real improvement. Maybe the players need a coach who doesn't want to be their friend, rather demands intensity at all times and defensive effort. If you're not performing you sit on the bench, no matter who you are or what you get paid.

Reply #390594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This whole "coaches clause" is a load of crap. Since when do you let the players dictate who they will play for??

Reply #390604 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

@BJF, Dowdell isn't retired, just wasn't at the fitness level required to return from injury this season. He'll be back in the NBL picture next year.

Reply #390607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke should be ashamned of himself. He is only looking to pass the buck off himself and onto someone else. He has no substace as a coach and it is very clear. Am hoping the sixers crash this season so it all lands on Clarke's face.

Reply #390608 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree that is a great article by Boti and well worth reading

Massive Fail by the 36ers

Reply #390609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you are the sixers and no real talent wants to come here! Perth or Adullade? sydney or Adullade?Melbourne or Adullade? list goes on. The players are here for one thing Basketball. why else?

Reply #390611 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

X how often do you speak with him? He was told he needed hip surgery and so retired from the NBL. He is playing SEABL due to the lower intensity of training and game schedule.

Reply #390612 | Report this post

ox  
Years ago

whos the import replacement? Julius Hodge? Ive seen him really put his foot down on your court

Reply #390618 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

King james, cheers for that link. Boti said it loud and clear and used the facts. Sad but true, good to see im not going crazy with my own appraisal of the coaching panel.

Reply #390619 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Massingale came in as a shooter but couldnt hit a shot. I think he was less than 25% from long range and had a number of good looks that didnt go close. This is just a common sense decision.

Reply #390621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep in mind the guy was only on $37K.

Reply #390624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An Import can come in and get $2000k? a week. How many weeks to go? 16 or less? CJ's $40,000 or so was for a full year. Spend that in 3 months and you will get a gun import and maybe, maybe make the finals.

Reply #390652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ would have to be paid out wouldnt he? How much money would that leave on the cap to buy another player?

Reply #390655 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

to help some out

CJ's wage doesn't carry forward against the cap. His salary plus whatever gap there maybe is available to spend on another player, just like his 10 points.

Massingale was at 23% from the 3. When your sole job is to hit the 3 ball you need to be able to deliver.

I wanted to like CJ he was the underdog , the Hollywood story of the guy who got that one crack to become a hero.

Unfortunately for everyone it didn't work out that way.

Reply #390659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'BDF' it didnt work out that way because Marty didn't give him an oppportunity!!!
He gives CJ around 20 mins a game in the preseason and he averages 13 points per game.
He then for no reason gives him under 9 mins a game in the regualer season.

I as a 36ers fan hopes CJ gets another opportunity and whenever he plays against he dominates, like a lot of educated basketball people know he can!!

Now I know if he gets to play against the 36ers again Marty won't be coach but I hope he sticks it up the 36ers management for showing no backbone and agreeing to Martys request!!!

Reply #390661 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Still not up on the 36ers or NBL social media sites..

Reply #390671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJF - I don't understand the point of listing those ex-36ers and how their careers appear to have faltered/gone pear shaped since playing for Adelaide.

It reads as a graveyard.

I interpret the point of your post to be keeping things in perspective as to how Clarke cut/lost average to below average players.

However, no coach would be proud of such a list.

Great marketing tool that one! Come play for the Adelaide 36ers and watch your career end after playing in Clarke's system.

IE Ron Howard came in with NBA wraps and guys like Bogut singing his praises. Doesn't dominate the NBL, gets stuck in the corner and turned into a spot up 3 point shooter when the guy is clearly a slasher and needless to say his stop over in Adelaide did nothing for his resume.

That compared with say a Cattalini going from a bench player to NBL star under Smyth and getting inundated with European offers.

The list you provided does no favours for Clarke in my opinion. It only highlights his flaws.

And disregarding the above, to what degree you disagree and rely on the point that the list contains average to below average players...Clarke and Radford picked them all.

Can you please clarify your point?

Reply #390686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How far is he of being naturalised? would anothe club pick him up as a 'Aussie'? I'd love to see him given a propper go at another club.

Reply #390692 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

if you read the post above mine (Wollypert #390597) that poster was trying to highlight how many players Clarke had churned through and not re-signed. I simply showed that it is difficult to re-sign a player if they have retired or physically cant play. Holmes wasnt picked up by anyone, Hill has been covered by Weigh and Creek, Bruce is eratic and covered by Crosswell. No decision their i would disagree with or change.

The poster claimed that the imports too wouldn't return to the NBL and that they are flourishing overseas. The facts suggest otherwise. Howard is still in the D League producing the same stats. Simpson and Warren are in teams that are either bottom or near bottom in the leagues they play in.

DeVries and Williamson were let go for medical reasons only.

Reply #390693 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Finally a great article from Boti!!!

CJ is the scapegoat and I really can't see how he is going to be able to afford to get anything better than him.

Weild the frickin axe Leanne!!!!

Reply #390699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe, just maybe it represents the chasm between the SEABL and NBL?
Having said that CJ wasn't given a chance.

Reply #390709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The chasm wasn't that great when CJ was getting minutes.

Reply #390725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leanne won't fire anyone. She can't even run a club let alone know how to fire someone

Reply #390739 | Report this post

woolypert  
Years ago

BJF I understand your assessemnt of the list of players. My point is that most of these guys are decent players and the turnover or grab for new players flies in the face of controlled planning and development of a team. The same is happening again.
Herbie and Darren may be retired but would/could be playing under different circumstances. Adelaide is not a place to come and enhance your reputation. Most of those guys originally thought they were part of a development plan. (Last look Chris Warren was pro A France)Select your playing group, trust your judgemnt and ability to coach and make calculated improvements
to your group along the way. This continual revolving door of Australians and Imports will send the club to the wall.
Bt the way this is a great group, the way it has been put together and its cost could be terminal.
It must win for the long term future of the club, with or without Marty.

Reply #390752 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

DeVries was perhaps the unluckiest import.

Reply #390753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leanne would be worried about her own job, what has she done?

Reply #390756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am supporting the wildcats come sunday, hoping we get a drubbing. This will further highlight that letting CJ go was a mistake and that Clarke has no integrity and basketball nounce.

Reply #390845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep I'm supporting Perth too.

Can't believe I've got to the point where I'd rather see my team lose.

Reply #390848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its sad, i can see many 36ers fans hoping we lose a few more games so Marty gets the sack, its a pity its got to that,

as i think most would prefer to miss the playoffs and sack marty than make them and have Marty retained, sad situation for the fans/club. Ideally we sack Marty and make the playoffs this year, but probably unlikely.

Reply #390851 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

He's so bloody arrogant that even if he got the sack he would stand over by the bench strutting around pretending he knows what's going on - kind of like he has been doing for the past 2 and a half seasons!!

Reply #390856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leanne should be fired. The team has gone to the shit house. Bring back Ben Fitzsimons

Reply #390881 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754