office worker
Years ago

had a good coach

I worked in the 36ers office for a long time and have never posted on here however I felt I should briefly tell how bad Smyth was treated by management at times after reading some of the posts toady.He always looked after his players perhaps to much supplied some with his own furniture towards the end when the club would do nothing.His last 4years there he spent more time repairing administration mis treatment of players than coaching.Hence some management bagging him as he embarrassed them at board meetings for not doing what was agreed to by the club.Issac you should know of one example when they tried to cut Oscars last year of his 3 year contract had Smyth not stepped in he would of been cut and not paid.In his last 2 years he didn't even get to recruit some of the players they were signed while he was on holidays for a week.I could go on and on some you would never believe could happen when he walked away after being promised the job by Hemmiling it was a sad day for some of us who respected his love for the club .I was there as he moved his gear out he told me he had simply had enough of mis management and lies.When Paul Bauer came up stairs and called Hemmling to say Phil was leaving and down stairs clearing his office panic set in he had caught them out.They had no idea who to get so Ninnis was appointed 6 days later and was treated just as bad perhaps he didn't know

Topic #30161 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

Inb4 bring back smyth

Reply #391074 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

https://www.change.org/petitions/to-the-management-of-the-adelaide-36ers-remove-marty-clarke-and-mark-radford-as-coaches-from-the-adelaide-36ers

Reply #391079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow seems some skeletons are coming out for the 36's

Reply #391085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea as much as some people bagged smyth out towards the end, i personally was always a fan, just liked the offensive style of play he always ran and how he gave players confidence and freedom, but i reckon even the baggers would chose Smyth over any of his successors, as he was just so much better.

Maybe its a case of you dont know what you have got til its gone.

Defiantly has proven that its not that easy to find a championship level coach.

Reply #391106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hi Phil. How are you going these days?

Reply #391165 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id prefer him right now. This team is a very stacked one, it simply needs to be allowed to perform naturally. Clarke and Radford are micro managing and over complicating an easy game. Time for change is well over due.

Reply #391202 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754