Basketball - Non contact sport?

Was at the Sixers/Wildcats game today at the Arena, and one thing that struck me was the amount of contact there was, especially on screens and post play.

They were banging the crap out of each other. I thought Basketball is supposed to be a non contacy sport.

You watch tapes of NBA games from the 60s and 70s, hardly any body contact at all. Thats how Basketbal, IMO, should be played.

Yes the Referees did call 61 fouls, but it easily could've been over 90.

Will we ever see a return to non contact Basketball?

Topic #30171 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

It's not a non-contact sport, it might be compared to Aussie Rules..

Reply #391232 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Go back to netball then please. The good Dr James Naismith created that sport for this reason

Reply #391256 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Refs calling fouls is the only way we'll see less contact. And even then, it hardly discourages players.

Reply #391263 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Is the injury rate also going up, following the trend in contact increasing over the years? I have no problem with legal contact in hoops, but some of the blatent, unsportsmanlike garbage allowed on court these days concerns me too!

Reply #391264 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We played non contact Church juniors and were surprised at the contact watching first district game with Mike Dancis playen and I just laughed.

Reply #391274 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Likeable character Dancis . A high centre of gravity.
Interesting to watch,

Reply #391286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this complaining? I actually love physical games. To watch and play. Also, games are more physical when Perth are involved.

Reply #391294 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

My understanding is that Basketball WAS a non-contact sport, and has become (outside of the NBA) more of a 'non-collision' sport. The game is refereed in the context of player advantage/disadvantage.

Not sure I like the level of contact either: I cringe at the hooking calls made during games, since the perpetrator of the foul is essentially guessed every time by the refs.

Flops are called inconsistently - case and point: Jesse Wagstaff (ADE-PER).

Players in the NBL are allowed to grapple with one another in the post and when setting screens - Petrie vs. Wagstaff/Redhage, much?

Too much physicality takes away the entertainment value, IMO, and the NBA - a billion-dollar industry - agrees with me.

@Isaac - if the refs call fouls, then the players will definitely be discouraged. Why? Because if they can't stay on the court (foul trouble) then they won't have a job...

Reply #391304 | Report this post

Tugboat  
Years ago

Great call Ricey

Reply #391344 | Report this post

Gardenia  
Years ago

Basketball has officially been characterised as a contact sport for the past 50+ years. How anyone got the idea that it wasn't befuddles me.

The laws of the game are exceedingly clear in clarifying that contact is allowed unless one opponent gains an unfair advantage over another.

Lawn bowls is a non-contact sport.

Reply #391349 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Yeah I hate the tech foul call on flops, the idea is to tech players and stop them from trying to trick the refs in to calling a charge. Yet if you fall down on minimal contact you are then completely out of the play and left your team at a disadvantage.

Personally I thought the Wagstaff tech was rubbish, there was definately contact with Cadee dropping his shoulder into Wagstaff and if Wagstaff is of balance and falls over from that contact why should he be teched. He is already sitting on the ground and playing no part in the play, just make it a no call.

I think hire flops with far less contact outside the 3 point line later in the game yet no call, the commentators even mentioned it at the time. So no consistency.

Reply #391352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with PlaymakerMo - it was set up to be non-contact and isn't any more.

The more physicality the refs allow, the less skills we'll see (and the less players need).

I saw a few cases in the Adelaide-Perth game where players deliberately ran through their defender. A couple of quick unsportsmanlike fouls and the refs would have shown they were in control; instead, they struggled all game.

I can't understand why the refs are so quick to call a tech foul when players slam the ball into the ground to themselves or drop the f-bomb, and yet they allow so much grappling and hacking and shoving and worse.
The physical stuff is doing more to bring the game into disrepute than a display of emotion.

Reply #391355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately too many are going back to netball ricey and maybe dinosaurs like you are the reason

Reply #391361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Gardenia - don't know how people think basketball is non-contact. Nothing better than a high-intensity game with some good physical contact played in good spirits by both sides. Problems start when good physical competition turns into hitting, shoving and holding - that's less fun.

Reply #391368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

playmaker Mo

@Isaac - if the refs call fouls, then the players will definitely be discouraged. Why? Because if they can't stay on the court (foul trouble) then they won't have a job...

The referees called 61 fouls yesterday, the players werent discouraged at all!!! Do you want to see 90 called?

Anon #355

I can't understand why the refs are so quick to call a tech foul when players slam the ball into the ground to themselves or drop the f-bomb,

WHY - because there is a league directive that any audible swearing is an automatic technical.....directive from the great Kristina

kr

Personally I thought the Wagstaff tech was rubbish, there was definately contact with Cadee dropping his shoulder into Wagstaff and if Wagstaff is of balance and falls over from that contact why should he be teched. He is already sitting on the ground and playing no part in the play, just make it a no call.

All i'll say to this is Jason Cadee with minimal contact (the guys weights 50kgs wringing wet - listed at 73kgs) can knock over 203cm 103kgs Wagstaff with the slightest touch!!! Please! I noticed Jesse didnt complain about the call one bit, just got up and went into the team huddle.

I find it funny that everone has been bitching for tech fouls on flopping, "call one and it will stop". One get's called and you all bitch and complain. Wagstaff is a serial flopper plain and simple

Reply #391373 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

I have always thought that basketball is better described as a non-tackling sport, rather than non-contact.

Reply #391375 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The referees called 61 fouls yesterday, the players werent discouraged at all!!! Do you want to see 90 called?
Saved me saying it. Said to a friend at the game that we'd need to see a season or two called tightly to have players make any real adjustment. And even then, they'd still try their luck and coaches would simply run longer benches and use secondary guys like Leon Henry, Boucher, Trueman, Vasiljevic, etc to soak up fouls.
One get's called and you all bitch and complain. Wagstaff is a serial flopper plain and simple
"you all" is a bit much.

Reply #391387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologise for the "total inclusion" of my YOU ALL.

Reply #391398 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

The issue with foul calling is rather than call to the Rules there is a shifting emphasis on certain areas to focus on. Each year the refs get directives on areas to hone in on, rather than calling the game as it flows!

Anyone who still uses the 'no contact sport' line probably has been looking some dust covered BA material that is still on a counter at their local stadium!

Reply #391403 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Anon373/Isaac - if there were 90 legit fouls in a game, then yes they should be called... what kind of question is that? If the fouls are there, call it.

Of course players aren't going to adapt their playing style over the course of one game - while they should be able to, being professionals, many are just too thick-headed.

I don't agree that coaches would use longer benches to "soak up fouls". That makes no sense.

As new rules and interpretations have been integrated into the game, the way the game is played changes as players and coaches adapt.

If refs called the game a certain way consistently throughout a season or two, then coaches and players would have to adjust, or they would be conceding too many cheap points from free throws, not be able to play their best players enough minutes due to foul trouble, lose games, and hence be out of a job.

If you want to watch people grapple, throw elbows etc, go watch MMA. If you want to watch people flailing their arms, yelping over little/no contact and generally acting like a bitch, go watch WWE.

That's just not basketball.

Reply #391424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if a player gets a tech for flopping, shouldn't a player who shoots and plays for the foul by falling backwards/kicking legs out/initiating contact with the defender, also be called for a tech? It is still acting and is no different. The flopping rule is simply wrong and it should be left up to the referee as a charge or no call.

Reply #391426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flopping isnt defined as a defensive foul it can be applied on any act. Kicking legs out on a shot isnt flopping its going out side of your cylinder hence the offensive player is causing the contact.

Redhage got warned against New Zealand for flopping after a shot attempt. THe defender touched his hand/fingers after the shot and he put himself to the floor! So it happens both ways.

Reply #391433 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coaches would use their benches; they already do. They will play beyond the rules if they can get away with it and take risks.

Reply #391436 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Basketball is actually termed a 'semi-contact' sport, anyone who has watched a gmae of basketball knows it is not a non-contact sport, what do you think a big man does in the post all game, how does a 'non-contact' screen work etc? The rules allow contact and always have.
You can have 2 players standing still right next to each other in contact without either breaking any rule.
You can argue that there is too much physicality if that is what you think but don't try and say basketball is supposed to be non-contact.

If you want non-contact then take up backgammon.

Reply #391443 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I have no problems with some contact, legal contact is part of basketball, no issues there.

Where the problems lie are with the interpretations and inconsistent application of the rules in relation to what is or is not ADVANTAGE/DISADVANTAGE!

I reckon' that if I see a skill based player trying to post up and get the ball to make a nice move he/she has been taught by a coach and score for their team, only to find some lesser talent hold, push and semi-tackle them, then that should be called a foul...

It is clearly disadvantaging the skill player, is it not?

Once again, the issues are inconsistent interpretations of the rules related to contact resulting in advantage or disadvantage.

Reply #391697 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:46 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754