Bear
Years ago

Was it just an error or was the ref correct?

Observed a VJBL U/18 VC qualification game last Friday night at MSAC, just wanted to know if this decision was correct, anyone..?

Offensive player posts up inside key for about 2-3 seconds and gets the ball. Makes a move to one side and draws a fake, then tries to score on the inside after his move makes the defender commit.

He is just about to put up the shot, but the official blows her whistle and calls the player for 3 seconds in the key???

Topic #30201 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Art. 26 Three seconds
26.1 Rule
26.1.1 A player shall not remain in the opponents' restricted area for more than three (3) consecutive seconds while his team is in control of a live ball in the frontcourt and the game clock is running.
26.1.2 Allowances must be made for a player who:
• Makes an attempt to leave the restricted area.
• Is in the restricted area when he or his team-mate is in the act of shooting and the ball is leaving or has just left the player's hand(s) on the shot for a field goal.
• Dribbles in the restricted area to shoot for a field goal after having been there for less than three (3) consecutive seconds.
26.1.3 To establish himself outside the restricted area, the player must place both feet on the floor outside the restricted area.

By rule the call is incorrect.The player received the ball prior to 3 seconds then was in the motion of making a play to shoot.

Reply #391707 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks for the ruling anon'..

At the time it just didn't look right that a player trying to score would be penalised for being in the key, I thought allowances were made for a few more seconds too.

Ping the player that then passes it out or stops trying to score, but for goodness sake, let the poor bugger trying to make a play do his thing!

Reply #391711 | Report this post

AS an umpire myself, I agree with this.
Once the ball is passed in to the post player then forget about calling 3 seconds and let them shoot the ball HOWEVER:

It seems many coaches don't know this rule because they still yell at you for "HOW Long IN The Key?"

Reply #391712 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the third second was used faking, isn't that opposed to the rules above? e.g., he can shoot it, or dribble preparing to shoot it. Doesn't seem to suggest a non-dribbling preparatory move?

Reply #391715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many upfakes constitute "in the act of shooting"???

Reply #391716 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

'love being yelled at'
I agree with what you say and having done that as a coach I know it can appear as though ignorance is at play. I do believe the opposition coach had a hand in this decision as he was calling out exactly that, so maybe he got to the official?

Other coach was frustrated by the decision, what can you do...?

'Isaac'
The words, 'he can shoot it' should not be interpreted as using any particular technique to shoot the ball I would have thought. In the case of a post player trying to score, he/she are trying to 'shoot it', or 'lay it up', 'dunk it' or whatever. Still shooting it under the definition I would think...

Reply #391719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ref was correct if he enters the paint 1, 2 received pass 3, 4 post moves no shoot no dribble he should get the whistle.

Reply #391751 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Agree with the ref - he was in the key, his team had possession, and the ball wasn't shot within the 3 seconds (plus a little bit of lee-way)

Reply #391753 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

agree with anon, it's very easy for talls to crowd the key and camp there, waiting for the pass, they have to remember to keep moving

Reply #391754 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Bigs shouldn't cramp the key but with all the contact allowed by officials these days, with the pushing and holding going on isn't it common sense to allow a big the few seconds extra to try and score against all the odds?

Basketball is supposed to be a high scoring, exciting and free flowing game to play, isn't it?

Don't tell be post players using the key stop the free flowing, or I will throw up...

Reply #391792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a reason for the two hand slam or the pound dribble-bounce if you will for post players and this is it..

Reply #391805 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

David Stiff used to use the whole 24 second clock throwing upfakes and pivoting once he received the ball. I'm with the forget the whistle once he has the ball unless he gives it up and then stays put.

Reply #391806 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754