billo
Years ago

What is the correct call in this instance?

I've got a question that's been burning a hole in my brain for the last few weeks.

What happens if a player (let's call him, oh, I don't know, LeBron) is streaming down the court at full speed on a fast break, he picks up his dribble and makes his move to the basket, on the way he is fouled and then after the foul he takes 3 more steps (ie travels) and lays the ball up, does the continuation count?

There's no dispute that he's in the motion of shooting when he's fouled, surely he can't be called for travelling as the foul was called first. Is the correct call to send him to the line for 2 shots and wave away the continuation even though the continuation went in?

Does the interpretation change if the travel is a result of the foul? Ie, player picks up dribble and is on way to the hoop, gets a heavy knock, they quickly stagger, shuffle their feet then toss up a prayer before they hit the ground. It would seem pretty harsh to wave those points away.

(for the sake of discussion let's assume that "Lebron" would otherwise have been called for the travel).

Topic #30204 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Lebron doesn't get called for traveling/endthread

Reply #391785 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You can't travel after being fouled and have it count.

Unless you're LeBron, then you can take how many steps you desire.

Reply #391793 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If a player gets fouled while dribbling the ball in the backcourt, can he grab the ball and run the full length of the court and lay it in?

Reply #391800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Technically it should not count but they get away with a lot in the NBA. Pretty sure I saw this exact situation in a game in ESPN last week.

Reply #391803 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon, by chance was it someone by the name of ... What was it again ... LeBron? Saw the same thing and was appalled at the call.

Reply #391811 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Situation, is his name Jeremiah? Does he include a pump fake?

Reply #391816 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

I looked up the Fiba rule book on this very same thing because it pissed me off how incompetent Gaze and Carfino were at figuring out if a bucket and foul was counted as continuation. Can't be bothered to find it again, but the rule says the bucket doesn't count when the play is stopped (out of bounds, travel, double dribble -- anything that stops play).

So yes, travelling is no basket. It makes no mention of whether the steps reset once the foul has occurred or not, but one would assume (and that's how I see them officiate it) they don't reset.

Reply #391942 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:56 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754