Anonymous
Years ago

Any news of import signing?

It's 5 days since our loss to Townsville ,has the sixers done any scouting since the loss,I hope they get someone signed soon ,but my feeling is that we wait til the new year til we see an import.If we don't get a win ...might as well forget about the finals for another season,what is the SOS group and Leanne doing ,do they have a say at all??

Topic #30266 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott Stephonson

Reply #393029 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Does it matter?

Reply #393034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kris Kristopherson i heard

Reply #393040 | Report this post

^ ditto

Reply #393042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a catch and shoot guy who is a proven scorer at SEABL would be handy...

Reply #393065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... for a SEABL team.

Reply #393072 | Report this post

Quincy  
Years ago

useless answers from orbit and others,if you dont have anything useful to say then dont write anything in this topic!!!!

Reply #393082 | Report this post

Cera77  
Years ago

I think what they need is some decent team play and better performances from the guys they have now.

Reply #393087 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

I hope we get a wing who can flat out score!

Luke, DJ, Petrie, Pero, Weigh give us size and options at 4/5

Cadee, Gibbo and Crossy give us guards who can compete.

A 2/3 outright scorer seems to be the missing link. Someone who takes the focus of the opposition defence to allow the other 8 to chip in with their strengths.

Reply #393090 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

I hope we get a wing who can flat out score!

Luke, DJ, Petrie, Pero, Weigh give us size and options at 4/5

Cadee, Gibbo and Crossy give us guards who can compete.

A 2/3 outright scorer seems to be the missing link. Someone who takes the focus of the opposition defence to allow the other 8 to chip in with their strengths.

Reply #393091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree

Ideally we will finish the season with rotations of

PF/C shared by Schensher, Johnson, Petrie
SF shared by Weigh, import
SG shared by Import, Gibson
PG shared by Gibson, Cadee

Id have a starting 5 of

Schenscher
Johnson
Weigh
Import
Gibson

Bench
Cadee - backs up both guard spots, with Gibson playing sg when on together

Petrie backs up both big spots playing PF

Gives us a very good 7 man rotation, if Creek were healthy he would be my 8th man and would be my starting sf.

Weigh will continue to get his 30 mins i assume, and the import will have to slide to sf when Weigh goes off.

Everyone in the rotation gets around 30 mins each, always have 2 of Gibson, Weigh, import on the court.

Crosswell, Vasiljevic, Daly only used in blowouts, or incase of foul trouble/injury.

In 40 min games only need to use 7-8 players imo, that way they all get a decent run to get into the game properly and perform.

Reply #393101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id have a starting 5 of

Schenscher
Johnson
Weigh
Import
Gibson

Where's all this room under the cap that will be able to pay for a starting quality 2/3 import?

The Sixers shelled out hugely for an All-Australian team, sacrificing he ability to sign high quality imports... I think they have to live with that and make the most of the high quality of local talent they've got... If they DO sign anyone higher level than what they had in CJ, I'd be incredibly suspicious of the whole thing...

Reply #393115 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Since Creek is out for the year can they also use his salary to pay for an import?

I guess they would need to upgrade Daly and then they should be able to use the difference between Daly's and Creek's salary, plus Massingale's salary.

So they should have a reasonable amount for 3 months of work.

Also I am just guessing but they may not get someone until after Christmas.
As whoever they target may want to spend the holiday season with their family, before moving across to the other side of the planet :)

Reply #393123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They can use Creek's salary & points (Salary Cap & Points Cap wise) but given they didn't replace Ballinger when he went down early last season I think it would be unlikely. Either don't have the funds or not willing to spend them.

Combining CJ's money & Creek's money into a pretty decent import would be nice but won't be holding my breath, still expect a cheap ABA type import to replace one along with Daly.

Reply #393128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have been happy to give CJ the start personally, i thought given the opportunity he could have proven to be fairly decent. But thats obviously not an option now.

So you can get imports on the cheap, the top SEABL/NZBL imports would generally be solid NBL imports imo, and you can get lucky, remember guys like Redhage and DeVries came through SEABL both would be/are very good NBL players.

D-Leaguers only get around 15-30k, for the full season, so 40k for half a season in the NBL may be attractive for some of them aswell, which could get you a higher quality import, or guys straight from College i dont think Dusty was on much in his first NBL season,

so there are options for getting good NBL imports on the cheap if you pick well, take an educated risk, and use them properly.

Reply #393136 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

One of the imports in the all star game is on the same money as Massingale.

There are plenty of talented Americans without a job or getting less than $40K in a US minor league who could be decent contributors in the NBL, especially with good talent around them like in Adelaide.

It's just a matter of finding one who's looking to get OS and fits your system and the rest of your roster. That's not easy.

Reply #393142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who Paul?

Reply #393168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey Stokes 6'5" guard who played at Villanova, is available.

Reply #393205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL players don't play for 1/2 a season. Their season is at least 8 months, and most aussies now are contracted for 12months.

Reply #393209 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Which import?
There's Henry, Lazare, Hurdle, Deleon, Flynn, Jackson and Scott.
And Ervin and Lisch who have pulled out.
Not saying you are wrong, but none of them stand out to me as super cheap imports like CJ was. Hurdle maybe?

Reply #393210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Henry or hurdle IMO

Doubt it be Flynn Jackson or Scott

Reply #393212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul should keep his information to himself True?Maybe that fine but please dont post here as someone who is a 'journalist'
total conflict.

Reply #393213 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

Heard we had someone but fell through. Which isn't all bad because now we have cj and Mitch's wages, hopefully can get someone solid.

Reply #393215 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This is Hurdle's first professional job - could be him. Deleon and Hudson were cheap last year.

Total conflict, how? Boti, an award-winning basketball writer, published Massingale's contract value to a greater audience.

Reply #393217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah he did Isaac, after the event.
Boti is respected for his inside knowledge and his non posting on basketball forums. He respects peoples privacy too.

So how do injury waivers work in terms of out of the salary cap? Creek is injured and should be paid his usual salry. Why does that give the Sixers his salary to spnd on someone else?

Reply #393222 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because it's not counted against the cap. Sixers would have to pay extra to replace him though.

Reply #393223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the money that they didn't have they can now find, and still pay Creek?
NBL clubs dont have player insurance any more. They are covered by Workers comp. There is always a short fall between that payment and the players full salary. Are the Sixers plucking this extra money, from where? And extra for a new player as well. How does that work?
Paul should keep his opinions and knowledge to himself and not try and garner support from the forums where he posts ts not as if his journalistic articles are rivetting. Possibly revealing someones salary here as a 'journalist' is crap. Will he tell us as an "investigative journalist" what ever player earns? Let's hope not.

Reply #393225 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

Isaac's right, Creeks wage still comes out of the teams pocket (a small % may be paid by insurance) but it doesn't go on the cap. Hence more $ for an import.

Reply #393226 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Was wondering (and hoping) if that might be the case.
So we might actually have enough money to get a worthwhile import then?
Assuming management can afford the extra money.

Reply #393233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is this extra money coming from? The SoS Have always been cashed strapped apparently. Now they can pay CJ extra to sack him, pay Creeks his salary less Workers comp and now find extra. Amazing. All this an still end up near the bottom of the ladder.

Reply #393235 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Kris Kristoferson is not a guard or small forward. Beast of a player but def not what 6ers are after, with dj, schensch, petrie and pero.

Reply #393248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45-6duFvfuI

Reply #393272 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Players arent entitled to workers compensation in Australia

Reply #393358 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'235, they didn't pay CJ extra to sack him. They paid some of his remaining wage, but not the full contract.

That said, they have to suit 10 player and would have to pay Daly the minimum, so that'd likely chew up Massingale's spare money anyway.

Creek's situation would end up costing them if they replace him.

Reply #393374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course they are entitled to WC. They pay taxes, and come under the medicare system and all would have club paid Health Insurance as well.
Isaac, the Sixers would probably pay CJ a parting fee. It would still be in the thousands.
Why the injury waiver money allegedly doesnt count towards the salary cap is mystifying.

Reply #393399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they're no longer on the playing roster.

Reply #393412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the $100K that they have to stump up for the injured player doesnt count? Stupid

Reply #393415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, once a player is put on injury waivers their salary is removed from that team's salary cap.

The club can then decide if they can afford to pay another player on top of the injured player who's contract I believe is only partially covered by insurance.

The 36ers didn't even sign a scrub last season to replace Ballinger for example.

Reply #393417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PLayers have been injured before and put on waivers without being injured.
Its another loophole that needs to be closed.

Reply #393433 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:58 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754