Bear
Years ago

VJBL and other junior games starting after 9.30pm.

Should school age kids (under 16's & under 18's) be scheduled to play later than 9.30pm?

I as this because maybe there is a consenus out there about the problems this causes for young teenagers who may get home after 1.00am after travelling and playing a game of hoops, no wonder some people see the committment level as too high...

Why is it that some venues holding VJBL Friday night games run domestic competitions for under 10's until 7.00pm, only to schedule representative games at ridiculous hours of the night?

Do we have a shortage of courts, or is it just too hard to create a reasonable schedule..? Why are courts left vacant on Saturday afternoon, early evenings?

Any clues, or interest on this topic?

Topic #30287 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would you prefer they were out drinking or walking the streets till 1am?

Reply #393514 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

I would think the traditional time slots for VC games are very well known around all Clubs, from U12 in earlier time slots through to the last time slot of 9:40pm for U18s (usually).

Even for 9:40pm, for home games most kids would be home soon after 11pm, and well before midnight for most away games ... perhaps one or two games for a whole season at a country venue would have home arrival after midnight.

Can't see the issue here ... if the kids were sitting at home on a Friday night rather than playing hoops, you think they would be asleep before midnight ??? I think not !

Reply #393516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cr, maybe why basketball isn't a growing sport

Reply #393518 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Huh ?

Reply #393534 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

All for kids not walking the streets on a Friday night and get the point that the system has been around for a while, still not quite what I am getting at. Some domestic competitions run games near 10.00pm on school nights having 14 year olds playing until later than they should.

Surely there is an issue here that either more court availability or better scheduling could fix?

Also, my point regarding court availability, especially in a competition like the VJBL is that I see domestic competitions run on nights where one hour earlier start for the representative teams would make a huge difference.

Whether kids play at home or travel an hour or two makes no difference and to say, 'VC game start times are well known' or 'some country kids may get home once or twice a season' is showing a fair bit or ignorance or lack of understanding as to what is really going on out there...

Quite a few kids get up at 8.00am Saturday to play footy or cricket as well. Not sure they would be in the best shape physically or mentally after a 1.00am return home from a 40 minute game of hoops.

This is about balance and common sense....!

Reply #393572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So reduce venue fixtures by 1 or 2 time slots? Therefore use more venues for shorter period of time is the answer??? Great way to blow costs out the window.

Reply #393577 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Agree with Bear. Lots of kids have Saturday morning sports so would be good to have earlier Fri night games. It is compulsory in private schools (not sure about public) to play a sat morning sport so kids end up quitting as Fri night commitments too hard. Just my two Bob 's worth...

Reply #393995 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not sure costs will blow out if venues are already in operation, it is the domestic competitions run prior to the rep' teams starting that delay games into later time slots that could be looked at I think...

I realise the VJBL is huge, with thousands of kids playing. But for 14 year olds to be asked to begin a game 2 hours from home at 9.40pm is just not good for anyone really, is it...?

Reply #396444 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

For U16 & U18 Boys I don't think it's such a big issue to play 9.40pm games but for Girls yes I think it's one of the reasons the U18 Girls competition drops right away after U16's.
The VJBL U20 competition should be removed all-together and played purely as Youth League competition on weekends to free up some court time.
If the VJBL had less teams playing on Friday nights then that would reduce the need to play these late games. Starting earlier is not an option because parents are already struggling to get to 6.40pm games on Fridays as Melbourne gets gridlocked in many areas between 4pm-6pm.
Restricting Clubs to just a maximum of 5 teams in an age group would also help ease the need for these late games. Some VJBL Clubs have up to 10 teams in an age group which is absolutely ridiculous.

Reply #397641 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Some good points VP, I also think the under 20's is a dead duck and players good enough should go to youth league.

Clubs with more than 4 or 5 teams in one age group are fostering domestic level players who make up numbers to make their Associations look bigger than the rivals in the next suburb, so this is also a great idea in my opinion too...

I know some places are growing like crazy, Altona is an example, they are bursting at the seams with players but if we are lacking venues to accommodate enough quality teams at reasonable hours, something has to give!

Some forward thinking and common sense open minded approaches are required by the powers (aka VJBL)...

Reply #397664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U20's and Youth League should be played on a Wednesday night to feee up venues and officials.
It would also allow the better Youth League players to suit up for BigV/SEABL on weekends without disrupting either team.

Reply #397666 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754