Years ago

F'ville announce new coaching director

http://www.forestvilleeagles.asn.au/

Topic #30329 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So not only not enough talent in SA for a job like this, but not even enough talent in Aus. Interesting selection.

Reply #394118 | Report this post

lo15  
Years ago

It has nothing to do with there not being enough talent here in SA. The fact is that these jobs don't pay much, and most of those who would be suitable applicants are not interested because they already have jobs.

Reply #394122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Dave Laurie not apply? Bit suprised by this.

Reply #394124 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Dave Laurie has been filling in following Glenn Mathieson's departure, but my understanding is that Dave wasn't 100% committed and/or interested in the job, possibly (I don't know this for sure) due to Forestville being adamant on locking up the position with a 3 year contract.

Reply #394132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a full time position yeah? It would have to pay, at a guess, at least 50k. No one of quality in SA would do that? I just find it interesting, is all.

Reply #394138 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

interesting to see if the committee that have made the appointment stick around after the next AGM!

Dave Laurie is now looking for work

Reply #394143 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Any know who else went for it?

Reply #394147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possibly the South guy who just returned from interstate? Maybe some of the young Sturt coaches? Not sure from within Forestville's ranks. Dave Laurie? Paul Arnott?

Reply #394150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the key was the point that he has experience running competitions. What competitions do forestville currently run?

Reply #394151 | Report this post

vesta40  
Years ago

#138, $50k is not enough to entice anyone of any quality away from a fulltime job usually paying much more, to a job on contract like this.

Reply #394160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems to me from the outside looking in Dave got screwed by the committee. The Laurie name has been associated with that club for years, Dave was a big part of the club's current on-court strength (at least with the development of players and coaches) and he gets shoved out because some other bloke has experience running some junior competitions.

However I'm just speculating, so call it out if wrong.

Reply #394202 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Forestville has no competitions and the question you need to ask, if they did, where would they be played?

BSA run mixed,social and junior after school all out of Wayville, Church get Wayville on Saturday afternoon

Where will they play ?

If Forrestville is selecting him on this basis, you would think BSA are going to let them run some of the comp but you can't see it from the outside looking in.

Maybe he will get a shock when he arrives to find that BSA control everything in Wayville.

Feel sorry for Dave Laurie

Reply #394208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave Laurie would be welcome at Centrals, and appreciated

Reply #394212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what happened Glen ?

Reply #394234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find Saturday afternoon is available now at Wayville.

Reply #394246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, I'm sure moving to Centrals is high on Laurie's "things to do" list. Somehow I don't think so.

Reply #394252 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think that was meant as a joke, unless Dave Laurie has a country connection

Reply #394256 | Report this post

Years ago

Matho Persuing other things

Reply #394258 | Report this post

Years ago

Fville should just take out state champs again this year based on strong results on one side in state and reserves - sabres will be close and maybe a few upsets will get them over. But eagles look too strong

Reply #394259 | Report this post

hydra92  
Years ago

Forestville have no chance at overall State Champs this year due to the appallingly bad state of their boys teams.

Sturt by plenty overall.

Reply #394267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave Laurie got screwed. He has given given his all for that club. I don't believe for a minute the difference between the bloke that got it and Dave would have warranted this other bloke getting the job. Committee of Forestville you have screwed over one of your own and I don't blame him if he walked away and shared his knowledge with a club and committee that appreciated him.

Reply #395283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Laurie family heading back to Sabre land?

Reply #395285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they lose Dave Laurie, let it be a lesson to other clubs - if they have a position and have someone capable and willing within their ranks, don't employ someone from another country.

Reply #395351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Laurie was that good he would have got the gig - Forestville are not dumb enough to shed real talent.

Reply #395382 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

eagles have vast array of talent - including several former ABA coaches to easily fill the void. Eagles breadth of talent reaches deep and shows a committed desire to be progressive - no long term gravvy train new ideas welcome

Reply #401770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the Eagle$ showing thier special brand of loyalty...

Dave Laurie would be welcome at any other club, and they would appreciate him more than his current club apparently.

Reply #401841 | Report this post

lonely eagle  
Years ago

didnt eagles recruit former abl womens coaches from warriors to fill the void.
and picked up coincidentally former panther coach to keep the progressive dev going and ensure home grown miss the best spots in the nest

Reply #435683 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:08 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754