Black Panther
Years ago

Taipans: Square Pegs in Round Holes

The Taipans offensive woes are not a talent or an execution problem. They are a system problem plain and simple. Fearne obviously likes a slow-down ball control side-to-side balanced set-up. Passing up good shots hoping for a great one and usually ending up with a bad one as the shot clock expires, all the while running half-speed through their cuts, screens and ball reversals-this is Fearneball. Great I guess for a team with no potential standouts and low overall talent and athleticism, but Fearne has a roster that is just the opposite.

Their roster one through ten(eleven if you count Bruce) is the deepest and probably the most balanced in the league. Here are a just a few examples of players being used incorrectly.

Jamar Wilson- excels in the open court pushing and attacking. Good at using hesitation and breaking down his man in the halfcourt to get to the middle either for the finish or dish. His role under Fearne- slow it down even when there appears to be and advantage and run the offense, an offense that doesn't create gaps for dribble penetration (a strength of his).

Tragardh- On the block, in the key, two-man game pick and pop, whatever. Give him the touches, he will produce. Supposedly recruited to be the scoring centerpiece, doesn't get the ball by design enough and is just another cog in the system.

Shane Edwards- Shoots the three better than Loughton, better down low and gets tougher rebounds. Yet mpg are same? I like Loughton, but Edwards obviously needs more minutes. Most of the time relegated to being the reverse man up high.

Steindl- this guy can attack the rim well and looks sometimes like he wants to, but again, no driving lanes off any curl screen cuts. Seriously, you would have to follow him around the screen or it's a three, but if you do..he's at the rim. Oh yeah, more minutes.

Kerry Williams- speed,speed, speed(fastest in NBL??) Not much else, but why even play him if the philosophy isn't uptempo.

Brad Hill- not as much a disaster in the halfcourt as Williams, but come on. Turn this guy loose in the fullcourt and he will cause major fits for the other team. Minutes are dwindling because, no surprise, he brings nothing to Fearne's system.

There is no sense in playing ten guys in a 40 minute game if you're playing slowdown. Fearne recruited this team and I think did a great job in that. I've heard enough about how great a coach Fearne is but all I see a guy who won't run a system that utilizes the talent his players have. Stubbornness? Afraid of not being totally in control? Overmatched? I really don't know. I could go on and on..wait I already did.

Don't get me started on the defense.

Topic #30344 | Report this topic

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

100% Agree, Fearne learnt from Molloy when he was his assistant and basically has the same style, call it "over coaching"

If the team had dominant banging bigs and veteran slow guards then maybe there would be merit in playing this style, but as mentioned, look at the roster...

Trigger and Loughton playing 4-5 would prefer playing uptempo as they are both effective in broken play and can shoot mid/long range better than other 4/5's.

A speedy point guard in Wilson and Williams backing him up should be pushing the tempo every time, then the 2/3's are all athletic players who can run and shoot and would prosper in a run and gun transition game, Hill, Steindl, Edwards, Gliddon, even Grabou is a fit hustler.

This team should play at the fastest pace, or posessions per game if you like, if they want any chance of being a contender.

Reply #394270 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Sack Aaron!

If his assistant coach is a RedHead...sack that guy too.

Reply #394280 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nice one Marcus

Reply #394282 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Why not start Edwards ilo of Loughton and lets see what hes got?Seems timid and they need to build his confidence.If not cut him loose....

Reply #394283 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Their roster one through ten(eleven if you count Bruce) is the deepest and probably the most balanced in the league."

Dreaming, the deepest roster in the league is the back 2 back champions who are currently sitting in 1st place (and have a pretty good chance of the 3peat) then it would be the Wildcats, even the Sixers are in front of Cairns this season for squad depth.
Also how can a roster which doesn't have a Centre be the most balanced squad in the league?

Reply #394284 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I rated Fearne highly after the way he over achieved in the last few seasons. The loss of Crosswhite who excelled in that system should not be underestimated. Not getting the results this year and it will be interesting to see if Fearne can indeed try something different. As others have said he has the horses to go more up tempo but seems reluctant to do so. Would love to know if that is due to his belief or his ability.

Reply #394286 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A lot of comments about the Taipans this year seem like they are from people watching tapes from last season.

Fearne has changed alot this year, encouraging the team to run, crash the offensive boards and he has discarded the Shuffle for a concepts based offence ala NZ.

Problem is Wilson is making bad choices in transition and not finishing at the same rate as last year (and not getting many calls), players are taking quick shots at bad times and with more players crashing the offensive boards they cant set up their defence and are being exposed in trans.

Furthermore their two 'bigs' dont defend pick-n-rolls well at all, and Loughton isnt hitting shots to be the stretch forward he is useful as. Definitely agree Edwards should play more with Trigger, Loughton with Rychart.

They are trying to play as a two-speed team but the players so far arent capable of it, possibly because Fearne hasnt communicated it well. They have a lot of work to do but if it clicks they will be very dangerous.

Reply #394287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fact is, Aaron Fearne is extremely immature as a basketball coach, having only been in the game a few years.

He's clearly latched onto a philosophy that he believes will produce winning basketball and he's put the blinkers on and is sticking to it rigidly.

I guess what the guy will hopefully learn if he survives in the business long enough, is that playing to the strengths of a group and being adaptable is something the great coaches in every sport manage to do.

I agree entirely with the OP - the personnel he has this season suits a playing style that gets in and around opposition teams with space and pace. Because not many guys in that roster are going to beat their opposite number one on one in a half court situation.

BUT, the fact is the Taipans are a pretty happy-go-lucky club nowadays and just being in the league appears to be good enough to keep the locals all fat and giggly up there in Cairns. In fairness, they really don't have much of a choice given their limited financial resources and the model they've adopted over the last three or so years has turned them around from the brink of extinction.

So I wouldn't expect Aaron Fearne to face many tough questions from within his organisation in terms of his coaching style or lack of success, should it continue. Because the club simply can't afford anything or anyone better.

Reply #394288 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anon288, is that just AF?

Reply #394303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what ??

Reply #394311 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

100% agree with Paul, but a point made by OP is absolutely true:

"Passing up good shots hoping for a great one and usually ending up with a bad one as the shot clock expires, all the while running half-speed through their cuts, screens and ball reversals"

When the offense works as designed, it has been a thing of beauty to watch. Unfortunately this doesn't happen often enough, and certainly hasn't lasted close to an entire game this season.

Jamar Wilson also hasn't had the same impact this year, but I haven't seen enough Taipans games to understand why.

Reply #394318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys on this forum have NFI - criticising coaches when most of you don't understand what the hell is going on.

Explain to me, please, the intricacies of the "slow-down ball control side-to-side balanced set-up".

What the fuck is that, exactly?

Reply #394322 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

They aren't the best offensive team. Not a pretty sight to watch.

But I give Fearne a hell of a lot of credit because he is the best defensive coach in the NBL, and he coaches defense extremely well.

IMO, Defense is harder to coach than offense so credit to him.

Reply #394323 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i notice there are four coaching staff this season?

do the other three have any input??
i doubt it,this is no democracy......more like a dictatorship.

don't get me wrong,Fearne is a great defensive coach.

Reply #394331 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Taipans have been very average defensively this year. Equal highest oppo field goal in the comp.

Reply #394335 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:57 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754